Author Topic: Hurricane Hilary  (Read 1856 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Hurricane Hilary
« on: August 17, 2023, 06:57:44 PM »
What difference,  at this point, does it make?   :rofl:

We have a rare west coast hurricane fixing to shoot up the Baja Gulf, straight up the Colorado River channel and up over Nevada and eastern Oregon.  Gonna drop a lot of valuable precipitation onto the Sierra Nevadas, the Hualapais, the Kaibab Plateau, the Shoshones, and the Southern Cascade range if it actually holds to projected tracks, but I'm skeptical it will remain on a due north track and will  veer more to the east, over Phoenix and Flagstaff and Salt Lake City.

Suppose we'll hear more whinging from California?  Their reservoirs got filled to capacity from this winter's snowmelt, but I'm sure they can come up with some reason to complain about rain in the Southwest.

[aside, but semi-related]

I went to a public hearing put on by the AZ DOT last night about a rural byway that's been shut down for 4 years due to fire and storm damage in 2019 (SR88 between Apache Junction and Roosevelt Lake).  One take-away pertinent to this thread that I heard from one attendee was that there's a bill in Congress (HR 1607) aiming to increase the capacity of the reservoirs on the Salt River system.  Roosevelt Lake and Dam was certified a while back to be able to fill over 100% capacity, and we hit peak capacity this year.  Adding a few more tens of thousands of acre-feet to the system can't hurt.

[/semi-related]

Of course ADOT wants $100+ million from the feds to pave what is a beloved dirt road, add facilities that no one wants, and to drag the whole thing out over 5-10 years so that the businesses affected by the area closure can be driven to close and sold at firesale prices to people connected to the construction project, to be reopened when the road is reopened.  Everyone at the meeting was livid at ADOT for leaving it closed this long under the guise of vegetation regrowth to stabilize hillsides; it should have been opened to at least allow sub-50-inch width vehicles to traverse as a "motorized trail." 

When pressed, they admitted that the road could be reopened for about $3.7 million, but they don't want to do that.  They also were pressed for maintenance records for drainages on the road for 2017/2018/2019, and admitted the funds were diverted to other projects elsewhere in the State.  Many boos ensued.

[/aside]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Hurricane Hilary
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 08:57:02 PM »
What difference,  at this point, does it make?   :rofl:

<half serious>

What are you, some kind of do-gooder?  Don't go to those meetings.

The PTB (Powers That Be) got to be the PTB usually because of chicanery, duplicity, slullduggery, sub rosa dealings, etc, and it's hard for the ordinary mortal to counter that without embracing those same characteristics.

</half serious>

Terry. 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 08:37:18 AM »
. . . They also were pressed for maintenance records for drainages on the road for 2017/2018/2019, and admitted the funds were diverted to other projects elsewhere in the State.  Many boos ensued . . .
But I bet the diversion didn't actually violate the letter of the law, at least in a way that would result in criminal charges against the individuals involved in the diversion. Fill out the paperwork, and spending public funds is a GREAT path to private enrichment. The money wasn't literally set on fire, it ended up in SOMEONE'S pocket. Which, no doubt, was the whole point.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 11:18:00 AM »
Back on the hurricane, it's looking like Joshua Tree NP and Death Valley are going to get hit REALLY hard.

Death Valley and Joshua Tree got hit really hard last year, too, with washouts on roads and stranded motorists and it hadn't been fully repaired at this point.  I did a dual sport ride on the southern California Backcountry Discovery Route ("BDR") back in February of this year and those dirt backroads were absolutely hammered.  I was burning clutch on my new Tuareg in at least a foot of sand, for miles, on parts of it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 11:30:49 AM »
So I just started researching track projections for this storm and its center actually shifted west, which amazes me.  At the same time, the projected path has picked up more curl to the east today, so that now Arizona and Utah may get more precipitation from it.
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 11:38:21 AM »
I predict a lot of suicides
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 01:10:30 PM »
NWS is reporting that even SW Idaho is going to get some of it. Nothing to write home about - around a half inch a day, but supposedly in short, heavy rain events, which always bring some flooding to the desert.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 01:18:05 PM »
I guess we will know by Monday how it will play out. 

Lots more potential Hurricane activity in the Atlantic also.  September might be interesting. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 02:09:48 PM »
Appropriate name for a destructive storm, don't you think?  >:D  :rofl:

The noon news say the storm is up to a Level 4 now and is about 500 miles wide.
LA is going to get a good washing.
  ;)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 03:55:53 PM »
Well, I had to google. No hurricane Monica anytime soon. Much disappointment because we know that one blows.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 04:01:57 PM »
Hillary, when it gets North and to Tropical storm strength, will be the first tropical storm to hit CA since 1939.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 10:59:55 PM »
Deaths Caused By Hurricane Hilary To Be Labeled Suicides
https://babylonbee.com/news/deaths-caused-by-hurricane-hilary-to-be-labeled-suicides

Californians Prepare For Hurricane By Nailing Plywood Boards Onto Their Tent Flaps
https://babylonbee.com/news/californians-prepare-for-hurricane-by-nailing-plywood-boards-onto-their-tent-flaps
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2023, 09:34:19 AM »
Could sure use a shot of moisture here. Had a blessedly wet Spring, but three months of regular Century-plus daytime temps and sub-20% RH haven't been kind.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2023, 02:46:54 PM »
Same here.  I am sure it is not as dry here on the Texas Gulf Coast, but it is pretty dry.  Rain coming across West Texas and Central Texas would help us out here. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2023, 03:01:38 PM »
Interestingly, we're on flood watch in SW Idaho for the next two days. I just texted my nephew in law in Redondo Beach, CA, and they're getting hammered right now, but he said no worse than any other big pacific storm. He said that there were ginormous lines at the gas stations yesterday and people were buying TP and stuff like it was covid. A friend up the coast in Santa Barbara told me they're getting nothing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2023, 03:06:03 PM »
I saw a post about lines at stores in California stocking up.  A little late now.  If a hurricane is coming in here, the stores are dang near empty of stock the day before landfall.  You are down to bread and peanut butter along with some canned stuff.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2023, 03:07:46 PM »
I just texted my nephew in law in Redondo Beach, CA, and they're getting hammered right now, but he said no worse than any other big pacific storm.

But it's Climate, please make your checks out to the DNC, Change Historic!
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2023, 07:58:15 PM »
An Earthquake hit SoCal just as Hillary made landfall. Maybe it actually will fall into the ocean.  :rofl:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-residents-feel-magnitude-earthquake-tropical-storm-hilary-descends-region

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2023, 08:35:01 PM »
An Earthquake hit SoCal just as Hillary made landfall. Maybe it actually will fall into the ocean.  :rofl:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-residents-feel-magnitude-earthquake-tropical-storm-hilary-descends-region
Hillary claims earthquake to blame for SoCal property damage.
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2023, 08:39:45 PM »
Hillary claims earthquake to blame for SoCal property damage.

It's was a self inflicted earthquake
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2023, 09:25:37 PM »
Isn't a 5.1 pretty normal on just about any day that ends in Y in CA?
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2023, 07:36:27 AM »
I was in CA on a business trip once and a 3.1 centered about 8 miles from my hotel woke me up in the middle of the night - at first, I thought there was an intruder in my room that stumbled against my bed. Locals talked about it, but it wasn't a big deal.

A 5.1 would be considerably more noticeable, and would probably get the attention of long time CA residents. I'd expect little or no damage in a state like CA.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2023, 07:55:53 AM »

Low fives are definitely noticeable. Depending on the waveform and length, it might be a shoulder shrug or it might be a "better step into the doorframe" quake.