Author Topic: Manpurse for Redhawk  (Read 6719 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Manpurse for Redhawk
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:29:26 PM »
I've discovered that I loathe hiking in the summer here in AZ due to the heat.

Go figure.  ;/

But, I stay nice and cool (well, that's a relative statement... I guess it's better to say "I don't get heat stroke") as long as I don't have a backpack up against my back.  However, it ain't smart to hike around without some reasonable gear.

I'm not talking about overnight or multi-day hikes.  Just little 2-3 hour jaunts.  And usually up in higher country where the temps are in mid-90's instead of the 110 temps we "enjoy" in PHX.

I also find myself hiking with a new group of folks that I don't want to "put off" with a hip-carried pistol.  On an overnight trip or longer/remote hike, sure... but stuff like these shorter hikes I don't mind concealing.  But IWB sucks for hiking.  Uncomfortable.

So, I'm looking at either the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack or the Maxpedition Gearslinger.  They ride differently than a backpack and stay cooler.

Stuff to carry?
-1L nalgene bottle
-snack food
-keys
-cell phone
-matches/lighter
-modest fixed blade knife
-camera
-CCW pistol
-modest 1st aid kit
-flashlight
-map/compass

Additional stuff that would be nice, but not mandatory:
-extra socks
-extra T-shirt
-rain poncho or jacket
-hydration bladder to augment nalgene bottle

Pistol to carry in one of these may range from a KelTec PF9 to a Ruger 4" Redhawk.  Depends on the location of the hike.

Can anyone make a recommendation between these two products, for my intended uses?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:39:08 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Manpurse for Redhawk
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
You could do either of these 2.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
Thunderwear + the Redhawk might get you appreciative glances.  Maybe even some from the gals!

Another option might be a Galco VHS shoulder holster over a t-shirt and under a camp shirt.  Toss in a fanny pack and you can carry most everything you'd want.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
In my experience the sling bags are not that much cooler than traditional backpacks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:19:35 PM »
Either bag would fit the items you mention. I think the biggest difference between the two is that the Versipack makes it much easier to access items while it is still on your body due to the way that it rides.  It would definitely be easier to quickly draw your weapon from the Versipack.  

My 4" Redhawk just fits inside the zippered CCW pouch on the Jumbo Versipack.  
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
Here's a suggestion.  get yourself a good military-style pistol belt, and attach a Wilderness Safepacker holster. 

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

To those who don't know better, it's just a pouch.  But it's really a good quality holster designed to look like a pouch. 

You can add a 2 quart canteen and another pouch or two to build your own fanny-pack.  And, if it get's heavy, you can add a set of the old LBE suspenders to shift some of the weight off your shoulders.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
Here's a suggestion.  get yourself a good military-style pistol belt, and attach a Wilderness Safepacker holster. 

To those who don't know better, it's just a pouch.  But it's really a good quality holster designed to look like a pouch. 

You can add a 2 quart canteen and another pouch or two to build your own fanny-pack.  And, if it get's heavy, you can add a set of the old LBE suspenders to shift some of the weight off your shoulders.

Hey, now that's a great idea!
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:11:29 PM »

I've got one, that I picked up from an APSer a year or two ago.  It's certainly nondescript.  I was sorely tempted to wear it (empty of all threatening items) to this year's IGOLD.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
I stay nice and cool (well, that's a relative statement... I guess it's better to say "I don't get heat stroke") as long as I don't have a backpack up against my back.  

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
If you can find them, camel bak used to make a waist pack called the goblin. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
I also find myself hiking with a new group of folks that I don't want to "put off" with a hip-carried pistol.

Wrong group, maybe...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 09:29:16 PM »
Wrong group, maybe...

A valid opinion.

But, sometimes greater discretion is necessary when hiking on certain pieces of rural property.  I believe we have more of this type of property in AZ than you have in Montana.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:36:53 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:24:11 PM »
Hey, now that's a great idea!

Love to take credit, but a buddy did this a couple of years ago.  He used a pair of 1 quart canteens, with the canteen cups in the canteen cases, so he has something to cook with and/or boil water.  I'm going to copy it, to a degree, with a pack attached, and a two quart canteen.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »
Doesn't exactly keep it close and ready, but meets all the other requirements
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=21181

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 11:58:34 PM »
If you can find them, camel bak used to make a waist pack called the goblin. 

I have one of those, and I use it a good amount for walking in the evening. It doesn't work to well for a Redhawk, but it works well for semi-autos and K-frame or smaller revolvers.  Because it has the big Camelback logo on the fron along with a hydration system, it doesn't scream "Gun!" unlike some waistpacks.  It's too bad that Camelback discontinued it along with the Demon backpack (which also had a firearm compartment).

Doesn't exactly keep it close and ready, but meets all the other requirements
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=21181

That is really cool. I just might get one of those.

ETA: What was really odd is that Camelback states that it is only for sale to LEO and Military personnel.  USCav commented on the Youtube video about the pack that it is also available to those with valid CCWs. That's kinda lame. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:37 AM »
I used to hike/hunt like this:

And indeed, in warmer weather it can get pretty hot, especially when climbing.

I had to quit hiking, but it occured to me at one point that a front-pack might be a viable way to pack <15 lbs or so, but never got around to rigging one.  I'm thinking like one of those front-carry baby carriers.  Sort of a front papoose.

Never got around to it and don't know if such is commercially available or even if it's a practical method of packing stuff.

Oh, and since it's in front, you can stick a trauma plate in it...

(nyuck-nyuck-nyuck)

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »

Oh, and since it's in front, you can stick a trauma plate in it...

And:

You could do either of these 2.

I don't get it.

What's so "mall ninja" about what I'm asking?

I'm doing some strenuous recreational hiking in hot weather, and it's not safe to do without water and some basic safety gear.  I also want to carry a decent camera to capture stuff like the above (though my photography skills aren't at that level).  And, I want a handgun suitable to the terrain and wildlife.  Most places in AZ, a .38 revolver or 9mm is sufficient, but some places can and do have problem animals that need a .44 to put them down.

It is because I narrowed it down to a Maxpedition product?

There isn't much out there that lets the back breathe in hot weather.  Maxpedition versapacks seem to be the best product out there like that, with quality concealment features built into it as well.
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 07:09:40 AM »
I think we just like to use any opportunity for mall ninja and tactical wheelbarrow jokes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »
I think we just like to use any opportunity for mall ninja and tactical wheelbarrow jokes.

Yep, they never get old.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »
Indian reservations

Aren't you going to be in big trouble if you ever actually have to use a gun there ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
Aren't you going to be in big trouble if you ever actually have to use a gun there ???

Be in worse trouble if I need to use a gun and don't have one.

Concealed means concealed.
--Lysander Spooner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »
Indian reservations

Not if he brings plenty of wampum and fire-water for trade....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Be in worse trouble if I need to use a gun and don't have one.

Concealed means concealed.

Dead or Jailed  =|

I would have reservations about going there  ;)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »

Best I can tell, its illegal to carry a concealed weapon on tribal lands in arizona.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf
JD