Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler fans wanting a factory V8, your wish is granted.  (Read 598 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Jeep Wrangler fans wanting a factory V8, your wish is granted.
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:03:22 PM »
Rubicon with a factory 392 is on the way.

https://youtu.be/usKyb8oVi08

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Jeep Wrangler fans wanting a factory V8, your wish is granted.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:47:20 PM »
Heard about this yesterday.

I've been courting the notion of putting a 5.7 Hemi in my 2015 JKU.  It's a spendy upgrade to get an aftermarket 4x4 shop to do it, around $25k.  But trading in my Jeep with all its aftermarket farkles, for a JL that doesn't have them and having to re-obtain them all for a slightly different design, in order to get the 6.4, and finding out where I stand with a $60,000 vehicle, may make the aftermarket upgrade make more sense. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
I would be more exited if they brought back the 4.0L straight six.
I overpowered a CJ7 renegade years ago when I swapped the original 304ci for a 360 4bbl with fender well headers and big straight exhaust pipes. It did nothing but make it scary. And loud. Impressive yes, but dangerous.
I like my JKUR but I get tired of chasing the gremlins out of it. The 3.6 pentastar is just adequate.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:37:43 AM »
Are 2 door Wranglers with the V8 going to become the next Mustang at Cars and Coffee events? That much power in a short wheelbase is going to be a handful.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 11:20:49 AM »
That much power in a short wheelbase is going to be a handful.
Exactly my experience. The day after I drove it for the first time, I ordered a full roll cage kit, 5 point racing harnesses and rear traction bars. The traction bars were because I punched the gas and ripped out the rear brake lines and flipped a spring shackle with the excessive torque. (2WD)
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 02:12:17 PM »
Exactly my experience. The day after I drove it for the first time, I ordered a full roll cage kit, 5 point racing harnesses and rear traction bars. The traction bars were because I punched the gas and ripped out the rear brake lines and flipped a spring shackle with the excessive torque. (2WD)

Speaking of excessive torque, I wonder how well the Dana 44s are going to hold up to the 4:1 reduction gearing in the Rubicon. Sounds like a recipe for broken half-shafts to me, especially coupled with the 35 and 37 inch tires that can be fit with MOPAR parts.

Edit to correct transfer case ratio.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:28:45 PM by mgdavis »