Author Topic: Powder Valley weighs in on primer shortage  (Read 1514 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Powder Valley weighs in on primer shortage
« on: November 22, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
I think most of us are aware of the primer shortage and Powder Valley pretty much sums it up in a short post. https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-is-there-a-primer-supply-shortage/

I’m not sitting bad on my stock but it could be an issue come summer and warmer weather when I tend to shoot more.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Powder Valley weighs in on primer shortage
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
The one comment on that thread says "Maybe I'll take up knitting."

Just posted what my friend, a knitter has told me... that there have been some wicked yarn shortages this year...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
So, increased demand combined with decreased production due to COVID-19 and Remington's financial mess.  Remington's ammo business has been bought out. A vaccine appears to be imminent.  Demand, however, is going to increase, I fear, because politics. 

Maybe I could try archery...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
Maybe I could try archery...

I actually have around 20lb of BP (probably shouldn't post that on an open forum these days) so maybe in a glass half full kinda way, I should be shooting my safe queens and alternative firearms right now. I have a decent amount of CMP ammo for my CMP Garand as well. If it was good enough for WW2, it should be good enough for the boogaloo.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 11:37:35 AM »
The one comment on that thread says "Maybe I'll take up knitting."

Just posted what my friend, a knitter has told me... that there have been some wicked yarn shortages this year...

My wife completely agrees with this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 02:30:22 PM »
I actually have around 20lb of BP (probably shouldn't post that on an open forum these days) so maybe in a glass half full kinda way,

it should be good enough for the boogaloo.  =D

Don't use the black powder all up at once.  Unless there's a good reason to.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »
I actually have around 20lb of BP (probably shouldn't post that on an open forum these days) so maybe in a glass half full kinda way, I should be shooting my safe queens and alternative firearms right now.

What happens when you run out of percussion caps?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 02:53:20 PM »

Flint lock
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »

I go to Cabelas and buy another 1000? They're not in short supply.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »
I go to Cabelas and buy another 1000? They're not in short supply.

That surprises me. How's the supply of Pyrodex and other black powder substitutes? I may have to dig out my BP pistols and start making smoke. I couldn't do it before because the indoor range doesn't allow BP. I recently became a member of an outdoor range, so maybe now I can shoot BP. I'll have to review their range rules.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 05:37:10 PM »

I will study my 5000 berdan primers and figure out how to make them go bang.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »
That surprises me. How's the supply of Pyrodex and other black powder substitutes?

I haven't looked, since I've got this big stock of BP. I've never shot any of the substitutes.

Edit: I got curious so went to Graf & Sons, where I have always bought my BP, and they are fully stocked on both BP and substitutes at what looks like normal pricing. They are out of most percussion caps though.

Maybe the percussion caps are a regional thing. My local Cabelas shows plenty of caps and BP substitute in-stock at the store.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:56:40 PM by Ben »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 09:34:13 PM »
I haven't looked, since I've got this big stock of BP. I've never shot any of the substitutes.

Edit: I got curious so went to Graf & Sons, where I have always bought my BP, and they are fully stocked on both BP and substitutes at what looks like normal pricing. They are out of most percussion caps though.

Maybe the percussion caps are a regional thing. My local Cabelas shows plenty of caps and BP substitute in-stock at the store.
I have a BP revolver I have never shot.  Maybe I need to take a trip to the nearest Cabelas and get the stuff I don't have.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »
Please don't take up archery, I'm having a hard enough time trying to find the right arrows and broadheads for an old #45 recurve bow I saved from being tossed. I just hope my shoulder doesn't hurt too much when I start shooting it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 10:36:45 PM »
Please don't take up archery, I'm having a hard enough time trying to find the right arrows and broadheads for an old #45 recurve bow I saved from being tossed. I just hope my shoulder doesn't hurt too much when I start shooting it.

Traditional archery supplies this was/is go-to source.

https://kustomkingarchery.com/collections/arrow-building-supplies
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 11:00:56 PM »
I have both a traditional recurve and a compound bow collecting dust.  Might be time to blow them off and get to practicing...lol

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 11:06:22 PM »

Traditional archery supplies this was/is go-to source.

https://kustomkingarchery.com/collections/arrow-building-supplies

Thanks, probably not going to build arrows, but you never know. I'm going to go with off the shelf aluminum Easton, heavy and slow.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 12:24:51 AM »
I have both a traditional recurve and a compound bow collecting dust.  Might be time to blow them off and get to practicing...lol

I've got five traditional bows hanging on the rack. Three of them I made from Osage from trees I cut down, The best one draws (or did) an honest 53# at my draw length.  I made my own strings, built my own arrows. Never managed to take a deer with any of them but I've taken down a fair share of rabbits, squirrels and more than a few varmints.
Yet another activity I fear may be closed to me because of the shoulder problems.
 :'(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 12:30:23 AM »
Same here.  Shoulder issues are making it harder to draw.  Almost to the point of switching to crossbow.  Might be one of the reasons I haven’t been shooting archery lately....smh

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 12:33:16 AM »
My bows have been sitting since I tore my rotator in '98. I do have a crossbow now but haven't tried for a deer yet.

Helping my daughter with her newer bow with like 80% let off makes me wonder if I could do one of the new bows.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
Same here.  Shoulder issues are making it harder to draw.  Almost to the point of switching to crossbow.  Might be one of the reasons I haven’t been shooting archery lately....smh

I got a permanent crossbow permit after my shoulder surgery, I bought a crossbow then too. I'm still on the fence if I like it or not. Dead nuts accurate to 70 yards with the Nikon x bow scope and Warner rings I put on it. Just freaking loud and you'll never get a 2nd shot off like with a bow.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »
I just found a Bear Red Fox recurve bow I had tucked away in inventory. 20# draw, 50" AMO this will be fun in the backyard.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2020, 05:25:34 PM »
It'd be a good small game rabbit/squirrel bow. Zwickey judo point will kill 'em deader than hell with that bow.

Samuel Adams