Author Topic: Thomas Cole Paintings: The Course of Empire  (Read 550 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Thomas Cole Paintings: The Course of Empire
« on: November 22, 2020, 11:10:22 AM »
Discovered this while reading my hardcopy Epoch Times by the fire this morning. Not only a neat landscape series, but kinda apropos of 2020 maybe showing us closer to the end of the series vs the beginning. :)

http://www.explorethomascole.org/tour/items/63

If like me,you don't have flash or java, you need to manually click through the series at the top mid-left of the page.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Thomas Cole Paintings: The Course of Empire
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 11:45:27 AM »
I like the style of his landscapes.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 03:36:06 PM »
His visions seemed too busy, like he tried to compress everything for 360° around him (including the sky) into one  40° view.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:05:55 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 07:59:05 PM »
I love his landscapes. The luminescent quality of the way he captures the light is incomparable. His style of painting (and the choice of the locations for many of his works) was the basis of what became known as the Hudson River School of painting. It's probably my favorite style, even though I was never able to come even close to emulating it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »
I like the style of his landscapes.

Luminist, I think.   Dearest Wifey, the art history major, could say more precisely  19th cent. Am. thing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 04:40:43 AM »
I like his paintings.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »
Considered one of the early practitioners, if not the founder, of the Hudson River School of art in America.

Some of my favorite American paintings.

Years ago I was driving to see my then girlfriend, who lived in White Plains, NY. I was crossing the Hudson River on the Tappan Zee Bridge, and the moon was coming up. It was incredible. The first thing that popped into my mind was that it was like a modernist Hudson River School painting.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 07:08:31 AM »
His visions seemed too busy, like he tried to compress everything for 360° around him (including the sky) into one  40° view.

Sorta like "pattern shots" in photography.  Interesting, but not "my" kind of art... although this one engenders some contemplation:  the stolid regularity of the building features and balcony shadows versus the variability of the humans therein:

Also, difficult to move through the site, as noted.

Gave up.

Opinions may vary.  He did, after all, found a "school" of painting and sold his paintings... which I never did, so there you go.

Terry, 230RN

That photograph so reminds me of Edward Hopper's work...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.