Author Topic: Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black  (Read 670 times)

zahc

• friend
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:10:53 AM »
I make lots of aluminum small parts and I set up to anodize a while ago. It's a pretty reliable process but unless you leave an anodizing setup all the time it's not worth setting up for 1-off parts. Then I learned about aluminum black product. Has anyone used it and what exactly is it like compared to anodizing or painting?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 12:20:56 PM »
Not like anodizing. Much more like painting.

I've only used it once, many years ago. I don't recall details, but I was not very happy with the results.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 01:06:17 PM »
It's good for darkening up small dings and gouges in items that are otherwise anodized dark gray or black.

Even with padding on the pliers, I messed up a suppressor cap something fierce when it got seized up, and was able to darken the gouges so it looks decent from a distance of a foot or more.

Does it pass close inspection? No way, but it's a vast improvement.

I suppose if small aluminum parts are cleaned and prepped well, a single dunk in the solution will blacken them nicely, but the major drawback is if you try multiple applications, the blackened surface will react with the solution and it'll change colors and fizz creating inconsistent results.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
Not like anodizing. Much more like painting.

I've only used it once, many years ago. I don't recall details, but I was not very happy with the results.

Pretty much the same thing here.  =(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 03:27:18 PM »
Hardly adequate for scratches, rubs off super easy.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 05:51:30 PM »
Easy off oven cleaner will give an etched grey to aluminum.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
I used it a lot at the shop for oxidizing engraving on brass.  It worked great for that, but not so great on aluminum (none of the aluminum oxidizing agents work well on aluminum).  I touched up an "idiot mark" on my competition 1911 with it, and it worked well.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 10:00:35 PM »
Easy off oven cleaner will give an etched grey to aluminum.

That's from the lye, and the grey is technically smut (alloying elements left behind after al etching). The smut doesn't stay around permanently and has to be etched off with nitric before anodizing.

Rust-oleum sells a special paint for aluminum that I have been curious about but I haven't tried it yet.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine