Author Topic: Employers and Covid Vaccine  (Read 961 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Employers and Covid Vaccine
« on: December 02, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
What if your employer required as terms of employment or continued employment, that you have to show proof of a Covid vaccine? This being that an effective and relatively safe vaccine is readily available. I've been reading a few news articles that people are starting to suspect this may happen in the future.

Would you tell your employer to pound sand or would you get one?

I know that in Iowa, they could easily do this and easily fire people who don't comply. I think medical and religious exemption gets a pass, but both require documentation. The way I understand here that medical reasons would have to come from a medical doctor and religious would have to come from a doctrine of faith and proof of membership in the faith/church. In other words you can't just say its a religious exemption, need to back up your claims. I saw this happen at an fast food job I had as a teenager, someone tried to claim unemployment after being fired for absenteeism. They said couldn't work on Sunday due to religious beliefs, unemployment review board asked for proof, i.e. document from their church and proof of membership on the church. Of course they didn't have that because they didn't want to work on Sundays.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:10:12 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Employers and Covid Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
"relatively vaccine"

You mean relatively safe vaccine? Seems like you dropped a word.

I've been pondering this quite a bit. I'm in Virginia, a right to work state, which also means employers have far more latitude in terminating people.

This is especially pertinent today because the location that the rest of my team works at was shut down today for a deep sanitation because someone tested positive for the Kung.

I'm old enough to remember the Swine Flu vaccine fiasco in the mid 1970s. The vaccine killed far more people than the *expletive deleted*ing flu did.

I could see my employer either forcing employees to get the vaccine, setting up vaccine events at offices, or a combination of the two. But, given the expected arc of the vaccine's release, I sincerely doubt that they'd be able to roll out any definitive demands until well into next year.

By that time my natural suspicions of such a rushed effort should be evident with either complete failure or varying levels of safety and success.

All that said, I'm thinking I'm going to hold off as long as I can.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 05:16:09 PM »
No longer applies, but if  I were still working for Uncle Sugar I would just get it, like I did the other stuff he made me shoot up to work on fed ships. By the time it filtered through all the committees and employee unions, I'm sure it would be a safe iteration of the vaccine.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
No longer applies, but if  I were still working for Uncle Sugar I would just get it, like I did the other stuff he made me shoot up to work on fed ships. By the time it filtered through all the committees and employee unions, I'm sure it would be a safe iteration of the vaccine.
As long as I am not one of the first.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:03:18 PM »
If?

[Laughs in .mil]

I expect I'll be required to get the COVID vaccine around mid to late spring.  If the 1st draft anthrax vaccine, the small pox they spun back up in the aughts, and the random extra *expletive deleted*it they pump into me, not to mention the annual flu of choice vaccines don't get me, this shouldn't be that bad.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 08:31:01 PM »
I'm really hoping for a layoff/buyout offer later this month or the first of the year.
I'm mentally, medically and physically ready for retirement.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 08:46:55 PM »
Here in Washington, this will be treated like the flu vaccine. We have case law here stipulating that an employer can require a flu vaccine as a condition of employment.  It is rare to see mandatory flu vaccines outside of healthcare.  Most healthcare employers that do mandate flu vaccines allow for the employee to opt out, although that usually comes with restrictions: wearing a mask full-time on the job or transfer to a job with no patient contact (if such a job is available, and there are no guarantees you will like that job or get paid the same).

Locally, it will be interesting to see if Boeing mandates it for production staff on the factory floor.  It is not easy to run wiring in the fuselage while staying six feet away from each other.

PS: at our COVID briefing this afternoon, we expect the first doses of the Pfizer vaccine on the 15th, and the Moderna vaccine on the 22nd.  We have a committee deciding which employees will get first dibs.  Probably those who are most at risk to being exposed to aerosols from patients: the emergency room, anesthesia, respiratory therapy, and critical care nursing.  The committee will expand from there.  As an executive administrator with relatively little patient contact, I will be at the tail end of the line, and it all depends on how many doses are allocated to our system.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
I'm all for at-will employment. Much as I hate needles, and hate Covid Karening, I would have taken a vaccine if it were available in February. Bring it on already.

What bothers me is the idea of government requiring it for the gen. pop.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 10:54:03 PM »
I'll take a pass, thank you.

In our fascist state the government has outsourced its tyranny to their partners in crime, large corporations.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 12:29:07 AM »
I’m not generally opposed to vaccines.  That said I do avoid the flu vaccine.  I don’t have enough contact with vulnerable people, and I rarely get colds/flus/similar bugs anyway.  If the flu vaccine was more effective, and had fewer side effects I would probably feel differently. 

I’ll most likely wait to get the WuFlu vaccine until there’s more data on its safety and efficacy.  If it’s like the regular flu where you have to get the shot every year, and at best it’s 80% effective (and on average more like 50% effective) I’ll probably skip it too.  But if it’s a once every 3-10 years thing and really is 90+% effective, and especially if side effects are minor at worst then I’ll get it.
Formerly sumpnz

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 12:45:34 AM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if my employer does this.
We supply Moderna and possibly pfizer with the nucleotides that they use in their vaccines.
If i had a choice, I’d pick Moderna’s vaccine if nothing goes crazy with bad side effects or reactions after they release it widely in a few weeks (they are going for a EUA on the 17th iirc).
These new vaccines aren’t old tech attenuated virii like every other vaccine made, they are mRNA treatments that code for antibodies (Moderna) or spike protein (pfizer). This type of treat is the future of pharmaceuticals, and has been used to treat rare diseases successfully.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 12:50:09 AM »
Here in Washington, this will be treated like the flu vaccine. We have case law here stipulating that an employer can require a flu vaccine as a condition of employment.  It is rare to see mandatory flu vaccines outside of healthcare.  Most healthcare employers that do mandate flu vaccines allow for the employee to opt out, although that usually comes with restrictions: wearing a mask full-time on the job or transfer to a job with no patient contact (if such a job is available, and there are no guarantees you will like that job or get paid the same).

Locally, it will be interesting to see if Boeing mandates it for production staff on the factory floor.  It is not easy to run wiring in the fuselage while staying six feet away from each other.

PS: at our COVID briefing this afternoon, we expect the first doses of the Pfizer vaccine on the 15th, and the Moderna vaccine on the 22nd.  We have a committee deciding which employees will get first dibs.  Probably those who are most at risk to being exposed to aerosols from patients: the emergency room, anesthesia, respiratory therapy, and critical care nursing.  The committee will expand from there.  As an executive administrator with relatively little patient contact, I will be at the tail end of the line, and it all depends on how many doses are allocated to our system.

My friend, who is the regional pharmacy director of a hospital chain, is currently dealing with the logistical nightmare of pfizer shipping this week to her hospitals. -80C storage plus the tight time frames between thawing and dispensing tbe vaccine. I’m glad that isn’t stress I have to deal with  =|
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 02:53:38 AM »
Just last week I overheard an ICU nurse talking about this.
She said:
1. She had Covid in the spring, but has heard that immunity only lasts about four months.
2. Despite the extreme rarity of confirmed reinfections (I think the US had its first in October) she claimed they were very common.  I personally question this given the rate of false positives for the tests.
3. She allegedly knew someone at Pfizer with whom she had discussed the vaccine and said that her friend did not feel the vaccine was safe, but didn’t elaborate on why. Based on that she did not plan to get it if she could avoid it.

I take it with a grain of salt (as with all cases of “my wife/sister/cousin/neighbor/whoever works at a hospital and they say ...”) but thought it was interesting.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 07:11:04 AM »
"-80C storage"

You are shitting me...

That's -112 F.... Or, they're shipping in liquid carbon dioxide...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 07:27:18 AM »
"-80C storage"

You are shitting me...

That's -112 F.... Or, they're shipping in liquid carbon dioxide...

Dry Ice and specially made coolers with GPS tracking/temp telemetry.  https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/first-pfizer-doses-from-belgium-touch-down-at-o-hare-international-report

(Dry Ice sublimates back to gas at -78C)

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 07:30:57 AM »
I’m still on the fence here.  After getting the round of Anthrax shots while active duty, I’m not sure anything would be more detrimental to my health....

That being said, I still work on a government facility so if I want to continue serving my beloved Air Force in a civilian capacity I’ll have to take the shots and carry on.  But, I think it will be quite a while before it filters down to us.  Not sure how far down the priority list contractors will be...lol

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 08:13:17 AM »

1. She had Covid in the spring, but has heard that immunity only lasts about four months.

First I've heard of that. I'll have to look for the studies on it. It wouldn't be surprising since it's a virus. I haven't kept up on just how much the beer virus mutates.

I wouldn't mind immunity lasting a might longer. My first case of China's revenge has not been that fun. I wonder if reinfections are generally milder/asymptomatic or if there is no difference?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/health/coronavirus-vaccine-volunteer-side-effects/index.html

I received my second shingles immune on Monday night, on my way home from work.  I have to say that compared to the first immune, the second had way more side effects.  I still have a large indurated area on my left shoulder, and had malaise, fever and chills for 36 hours afterward. I knew it was not Covid since I could smell the dog farting in his sleep.  Hopefully the Covid immune won't be as bad as the shingles.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 09:35:19 AM »
I'm actually not sure if my employer would require it, I work for a department that is headed by an elected official. Sometimes we do what the rest of the other state agencies do, sometimes not. I like my paycheck, so if a vaccine becomes mandatory, I'll take it.

I was planning on getting vaccinated after the vaccine has been administrated to a few million people first. I work in agriculture, so I know I won't be told to be first in line to get a vaccination.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
I was told that the second Shingrex vaccination could cause more side effects but it was the other way around for me.

I had the malaise and chills after getting round one in February. A few days later, the real side effect set in -- a bout of gout in my left big toe. Holy hell that was awful for a couple of days until it cleared.

The second shot I got in April. I tried to head off a repeat gout flare by taking sour cherry extract capsules at a pretty high strength -- I'd started those to battle the first flare.

No side effects at all from the second shot that I could identify.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »
Just a friendly reminder that in conversations with those suffering from TDS, remember to refer to the Covid vaccines as "the Trump vaccine." "America First vaccine" is another option.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 01:56:09 PM »
Also the Making America Great Again Vaccine.