Author Topic: I, for one, welcome our new Skynet overlords  (Read 948 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I, for one, welcome our new Skynet overlords
« on: December 05, 2020, 10:54:16 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/technology/police-drones.html

And I bet the military already has drones that are more capable than those being used by civilian police.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: I, for one, welcome our new Skynet overlords
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »
I think it's time for a renewal of interest in falconry. Teach the real birds to take out the mechanical birds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:53:49 PM »
No doubt drones can be very useful for putting eyes on situations that would be impractical, or too expensive, to assign an officer.  But I can see mission creep being an issue since they would be so good at finding victimless crimes that would otherwise be ignored.

By the way, if they really plan to follow a suspect in to a building, I can predict that a few drones will become the victims of masked people with tennis racquets.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:16:01 PM »
No doubt drones can be very useful for putting eyes on situations that would be impractical, or too expensive, to assign an officer.  But I can see mission creep being an issue since they would be so good at finding victimless crimes that would otherwise be ignored.

By the way, if they really plan to follow a suspect in to a building, I can predict that a few drones will become the victims of masked people with tennis racquets.

Just wait until some cities decide they can issue citations via drone footage. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Back at the beginning of all this Kung Flu mess the mayor of Savannah Ga hopped on Facebook and proclaimed his order to the city police to use drones to enforce masks, curfews, and social distancing. The citizenry was not amused and started roasting him. . 
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 10:21:05 PM »
Just wait until some cities decide they can issue citations via drone footage.

Just wait until some cities decide it is a crime to elude drone surveillance, even if you are going about your innocent daily business.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 08:39:56 AM »
What shot# for drones?  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 09:07:24 AM »
What shot# for drones?  :laugh:

#8 birdshot is, for once, the correct choice of defensive ammunition.  :lol:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
This is Kentucky!

Judge rules Kentucky man had the right to shoot down his neighbor’s drone
https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9625468/drone-slayer-kentucky-cleared-charges

The Kentucky “Drone Slayer” Case Dismissed
https://dronelife.com/2017/03/22/kentucky-drone-slayer-case-dismissed/

Judge dismisses federal lawsuit filed by man whose drone was shot down by Bullitt County resident
https://www.wdrb.com/news/judge-dismisses-federal-lawsuit-filed-by-man-whose-drone-was-shot-down-by-bullitt-county/article_ee71df05-aac0-5fd9-bf81-9e38a9f19a48.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »
This is Kentucky!

Judge rules Kentucky man had the right to shoot down his neighbor’s drone
https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9625468/drone-slayer-kentucky-cleared-charges

The Kentucky “Drone Slayer” Case Dismissed
https://dronelife.com/2017/03/22/kentucky-drone-slayer-case-dismissed/

Judge dismisses federal lawsuit filed by man whose drone was shot down by Bullitt County resident
https://www.wdrb.com/news/judge-dismisses-federal-lawsuit-filed-by-man-whose-drone-was-shot-down-by-bullitt-county/article_ee71df05-aac0-5fd9-bf81-9e38a9f19a48.html

I've been contemplating getting a drone so I could remotely check out my pasture irrigation when mosquito season is in full swing, but have been kind of afraid of most all my immediate neighbors doing the above if the drone gets anywhere near a fence line.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
I've been contemplating getting a drone so I could remotely check out my pasture irrigation when mosquito season is in full swing, but have been kind of afraid of most all my immediate neighbors doing the above if the drone gets anywhere near a fence line.  :laugh:

Not a problem if you talk to your neighbors and mention your shiny new flying fence checker and would they please call if it strays off the property.