Author Topic: Skype Call Quality?  (Read 552 times)

Racehorse

• friend
Skype Call Quality?
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
The skype thread got me thinking. I'm paying about $42 per month for a basic landline with no long distance, which is a ripoff. It does give me a $25 monthly discount on my DSL, though, which is why I've been willing to overpay for the phone. However, my company recently started reimbursing me for internet in lieu of a larger raise this year, so I don't care about saving on the internet anymore.

One factor is that my wife calls Germany several times a week to talk to her family. Skype has a plan with unlimited calling to one country besides the U.S. for $6 per month. I'm intrigued by this, but I have no experience with Skype.

For any Skype users, how is the call quality. Do you get echoes, dropped calls, etc.? How does the quality compare to a landline or a cell phone?

I think it would be the best alternative if the call quality is decent, but I don't want to use it if the quality stinks. If Skype is bad, I'll probably just go with another VoIP provider.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Skype Call Quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »
You should just try it out and see how you like it.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage