Author Topic: ESA - Taking 3D printing into the metal age  (Read 420 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
ESA - Taking 3D printing into the metal age
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
This is the first step, it will be interesting to see when 3D metal printing becomes, if ever, economical for the average house hold.  Imagine what Defense Distributed could do with this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24528306

http://www.esa.int/For_Media/Press_Releases/Call_for_Media_Taking_3D_printing_into_the_metal_age
ESA is set to showcase complex printed parts made of metal that can withstand temperatures at 1000°C – fit for space and the most demanding applications on Earth. Join an international panel of experts from the biggest consortium ever in ‘additive manufacturing’ in Europe on 15 October in the London Science Museum, UK.

ESA and the EU, together with industrial and educational partners, are developing the first large-scale production methods to 3D-print with metal. 3D printers are expected to revolutionise the way we live but until recently they could work with only plastic, which is not very useful for many industrial applications.

This novel technology offers many advantages. 3D printing, formally known as additive manufacturing, can create complex shapes that are impossible to manufacture with traditional casting and machining techniques. Little to no material is wasted and cutting the number of steps in a manufacturing chain offers enormous cost benefits.

The AMAZE project – Additive Manufacturing Aiming Towards Zero Waste & Efficient Production of High-Tech Metal Products – began in January and factory sites are being set up in France, Germany, Italy, Norway and the UK to develop the industrial supply chain.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: ESA - Taking 3D printing into the metal age
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
I think it is a nearby mayor who put together a grant for a local college to have a 3d metal printing shop.  The 'New' Metal Shop.  Equipment free and clear and reduced cost materials; and public access with some scheduling restrictions.  I'm generally against subsidies, but by locals for locals and an election every 2 years... I'll let this one slide because it seems like a solid investment and is just plain cool.  Now if I can just remember which town it was and if I can use it...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.