Author Topic: The great trekking pole debate  (Read 893 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The great trekking pole debate
« on: October 24, 2020, 09:04:34 PM »
https://www.outsideonline.com/2418032/trekking-poles-research

I use a staff when hiking but two poles while snowshoeing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: The great trekking pole debate
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »
They go on all my backpacking trips and also snowshoeing.

Only occasionally do I bring them on dayhikes. Depends on where I'm hiking.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
Can't beat them in steep hill terrain.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 09:43:35 PM »
Greatest things since sliced bread. I've used trekking poles all over the Sierra. I feel like I can go farther than without, they absolutely save my knees, especially as I'm getting older, and they've certainly kept me from what might have been nasty spills.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 10:56:51 PM »
My brother-in-law bought me a trekking pole years ago but I don’t think I’ve ever taken it on a hike. Sometimes I’ll scoop up a long stick to shove thorns or brush aside, but I don’t really use it for balance or improving gait.

Maybe I’ll have to give it a shot.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 11:43:39 PM »
I don't use any poles for my science fiction viewing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 01:02:37 AM »
I have used a camera tripod (collapsed with just one leg extended all the way) for a trekking pole hiking in the Rockies.  With an old Ricoh TLR camera on top.

When hiking in Zion NP I think (it was 10 years ago) I used a ski pole when hiking up the Virgin River slot canyon.  (didn't want to ruin the tripod or the camera)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »
Since posting, I actually read the article.  :laugh:

For clarity, I'm a two pole guy. Early on when I was young I would occasionally use a hiking staff, but found it to be 50-50 over pros and cons. It is two pole hiking that was an eye opener for me. I don't care how much fun anyone makes about it. Though I've never had a single comment about hiking with poles one way or the other, and where I have done my more intensive hikes, a decent percentage of hikers use them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
I should clarify, I live in the second flattest state so on dayhikes around here I don't use them. Occasionally I'll bring my hiking staff.

Dayhikes while on camping trips, particularly in the mountains I'm always using them.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »
I should clarify, I live in the second flattest state so on dayhikes around here I don't use them. Occasionally I'll bring my hiking staff.

Dayhikes while on camping trips, particularly in the mountains I'm always using them.

If  I did a lot of flatland hiking, I would reevaluate. I can't remember the last time I didn't have to deal with switchbacks though.  :laugh:

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »
I take a set of poles on 100% of my hikes/backpacking trips.  I don't usually use them on the uphill as I think it just burns more energy and makes me even slower.  But, they sure save wear and tear on the knees going downhill. 
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
I take a set of poles on 100% of my hikes/backpacking trips.  I don't usually use them on the uphill as I think it just burns more energy and makes me even slower.  But, they sure save wear and tear on the knees going downhill. 

I saw mention in the article about the cons of the extra energy used, but I kinda consider it a pro, mostly for being able to get some upper body activity in.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 04:37:48 PM »
https://www.outsideonline.com/2418032/trekking-poles-research

I use a staff when hiking but two poles while snowshoeing.

Hmmm

When you’re walking downhill (and to lesser extent on level ground), poles take some of the load off your joints. That means the forces and torques on your knees and ankles are smaller, which could be particularly beneficial if you’ve got joint problems like osteoarthritis, or if you are older or overweight. Poles also help you brake when you’re descending, reducing the eccentric muscle contractions that damage your muscles and leave your legs sore the next day.

I should look into this.   I took a fall on my bike this summer, and crunched my knee good.  My "bad knee" turned into my "good knee".  Walking any distance is a problem.   And I got all three things this mentions (" osteoarthritis, or if you are older or overweight. ").
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »
I've been using two poles quite a bit since I was in my teens. I started after a couple of tumbles that were caused by rolling an ankle while descending hills with a three-day backpack. I find that, in addition to keeping me from going ass over teakettle, they really help to to find a comfortable stride that is a bit quicker than it would be otherwise. They have also been really useful in the last couple of years as I have been fighting with a knee that gets painful while pounding downhill after several miles. :old:

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 09:26:52 PM »
I'll add that you get what you pay for.  I had a decent set of poles,  but after being gifted a set of telescoping Lekis with cork grips,  It's hard to bust out the old ones for a hike.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 09:50:11 PM »
My generation calls them canes.  LOL.

I have two walking sticks.  I cut them from ironwood trees (hophornbeam) that are hereabout.  Dry 'em, scrape 'em and put a rubber tip on 'em.  Sometimes I paint them or otherwise finish them.  They have unique shapes and are also good for growly dogs and annoying children.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw