Author Topic: Ask your doctor about colorectal cancer screening  (Read 653 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Ask your doctor about colorectal cancer screening
« on: October 27, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/27/colorectal-cancer-guidelines-change-start-screening-45-not-50/6040304002/

The recommended age to start screening has decreased from 50 to 45.  I did the initial colonoscopy at age 50, but since turning 60 this year, now do the annual FIT card testing instead.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Ask your doctor about colorectal cancer screening
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »
Had my first steel eel 2 years ago. What fun that was.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »
Had my first at 29, history of colon cancer in the family and I had some GI issues, they did remove a cancerous polyp. Had one every six months for a while, then yearly, then every 3 years, now I am at every 5 years.

I think they need to do it younger than 45. I'd probably have stage 3 or stage 4 colon cancer now if they didn't find it 17 years ago. Friend of similar age lost his wife 18 months ago from colon cancer. My Boy Scout buddy was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on Sept 1 of this year, he's one day older than me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:23:00 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:40:30 PM »
Had my first screening in 2013 - no problems, come back in 10 years.

My mother has now been battling the disease for 3 years - she refused to get a screening when I did.  =(

With a 1st degree relative having the disease, docs told me I should go on a 5 year screen screening schedule. Got one this past February - all clear, come back in 5 years.

Believe me, the screening is MUCH preferable to the disease.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 05:22:28 PM »

Prayers for your Mother.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 06:45:36 PM »
My first wast two years ago, a 50th birthday present from my doc. One small non-cancerous polyp. Back in three years.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »

I pray all goes well for your mother.

I'm on a 10 yr schedule, (DW is on a 5yr for non-cancerous).  Last time I was like "Yippee!, that was the last one!".  Then the doc told me they'd extended the tests out to 75 years old.   :'(

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:55 PM »
I am 45 and just tried to get one last week. Doc was of the opinion that it wouldn’t be covered unless ordered as a diagnostic.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 09:57:13 PM »
I did my first one at 47 due to a concern by my doctor at the time. Polyps found and removed during the procedure. I had a ten year wait till the next one. Polyps found and removed during the procedure. Now I'm on the five year plan and reckon I'm due in two years.

I just wish there was a less invasive way to do it. I don't like that stuff poking around my insides with the potential for damage that is worse than polyps. I will probably stop colonoscopies when I hit 70 and just let the slow growing polyps grow. Unless the medical community comes up with less invasive ways to both check for and remove polyps by then.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:24:24 PM »
I did my first one at 47 due to a concern by my doctor at the time. Polyps found and removed during the procedure. I had a ten year wait till the next one. Polyps found and removed during the procedure. Now I'm on the five year plan and reckon I'm due in two years.

I just wish there was a less invasive way to do it. I don't like that stuff poking around my insides with the potential for damage that is worse than polyps. I will probably stop colonoscopies when I hit 70 and just let the slow growing polyps grow. Unless the medical community comes up with less invasive ways to both check for and remove polyps by then.

"Modern" diagnostic methods sometime seem more like torture than medicine.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 10:35:06 PM »
My buddy shared with me his first chemotherapy bill when we went fishing together a week and half ago. He's still in a fog about it and wanted me to translate it for him. The un-negotiated per insurance price was $29,000 for one treatment, the negotiated insurance price was $5,000. I'm not going to share what his share that he has to pay, but he is going through 6 total treatments for this round and then get a scan and bloodwork to see if it is working or not. Then determine more rounds after that. As I said above he has stage 4 colon cancer, he has cancer in his colon, liver and lung. Chemo was his only option.

Uranus is a gas giant.