Author Topic: Thanksgiving plans?  (Read 595 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Thanksgiving plans?
« on: October 28, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?  We are definitely not having 30 people over as we did last year.  We may have a few immediate family members, but even that decision will wait to see what the COVID situation is in late November.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Thanksgiving plans?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 09:35:16 AM »
Some of the family will probably get together.  Daughter and her brood are going over to her inlaws.  Dad (age 90) will probably hole up.  My brother the nurse will also be isolating himself from the rest of us.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 09:38:04 AM »
Figuring my SIL, my Aunt, 2 Cousins have all been positive with Covid, I'm staying the F home. If my wife wants to go see her family, she'll be going solo. If she catches Covid she can quarantine in a motel room.

I'll probably cook a turkey loaf, mashed potatoes or funeral potatoes, and green bean casserole.  Probably take the dog out for a am pheasant hunt.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »
I would love to get my 93 year old dad up here, who, given his recent health might not be here next Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure he wants to make the drive again. I might just drive down there for a couple of days depending, but won't fly. I'm not concerned for myself, I just don't want to be an airport carrier (don't know how crowded it will be this year at the airports) and give him the china virus.

If it doesn't work out, I'll just stick a 10lb turkey in the oven here like I did last year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »
My wife and I are flying to Vegas and having Thanksgiving Dinner in a nice restaurant.  On Friday morning we are driving to Death Valley NP and climbing Telescope peak.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
Current plans are, at least for now, to spend T-giving with Castle Key and his family again.

If that doesn't happen, I'll stay home and sous vide some turkey.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:42:31 AM »
Nothing great.  Sheltering in place.  Son2 usually brings me a turkey dinner care package from Wife1's cooking that weekend, but I'm not expecting that this year.

So it'll be a frozen Turkey dinner (as usual) just for the tradition of it and no big deal otherwise.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 10:52:11 AM »
I will be celebrating Thanksgiving at home with my wife and son, which is exactly what I want.
As dogmush said in a different thread - 2020 is the best year for introverts ever.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 11:06:46 AM »
Our plans aren't formulated yet, but they will be the same as they always are- either at our house with the grandparents or at the grandparent's house.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 11:11:47 AM »
I plan to stay home. My wife plans to go to her sister's house. My plans are irrelevant.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »
About the same as last year.  We will stay home; I will roast a 16lb turkey and we'll get a pumpkin pie from Costco (wife likes them better than the same pies from Sam's, and they are cheaper than making my own)  Friday or Saturday I will make gumbo from the turkey carcass and some of the leftovers.

The biggest change this year is one of my dogs is on a diet, so they won't get near as much greasy turkey scraps.  I will try to sneak some lean meat to her, and the skin, tail, etc to the other one.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »
Oldest daughter and her family are probably coming to a few days. We will all be healthy or sick together.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 11:56:59 AM »
We rotate between SWMBO family and my family so we will be staying locally this year.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 08:57:24 PM »
We’ll have the same 13 over like we do ever weekend. Our house is rally point for our children and grand children and they all like to visit us on the weekends.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 09:02:13 PM »
nothing, no, wait, watching anime...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!