Author Topic: More than $1M worth of stolen tools found in man's home  (Read 899 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
More than $1M worth of stolen tools found in man's home
« on: October 29, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
Story is a bit short on details IMHO but wow

More than $1M worth of stolen tools from Home Depot found in Katy man's home, deputies say
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/stolen-tools-home-depot-katy-harris-county/285-2e66d678-3720-49a1-b3e8-2c30af6ec16e

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: More than $1M worth of stolen tools found in man's home
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 09:06:08 PM »
Wife and FIL worked for Home Depot... the thieves just walk in, grab the power tools off the shelves then calmly walk out...it’s instant termination if any staff tries to stop it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:37 PM »
Our local Lowe's has now locked up all the hand power tools in a cage.  You have to take a tool ticket, pay for it, and bring back the receipt before they unlock the cage to give you the tool.  It has cut down dramatically on the DeWalts, etc., growing legs and walking out the door.

This is one of my pet peeves, however.  If I am in a store to buy something, I often like to look at it up close, and read the boxes to compare different products.  And because the thieves ruin it for everybody, much of the stuff I am interested in buying is behind the counter or locked up, and good luck finding someone to unlock the case.  The more I encounter this, the more I think I should have just stayed home and taken a chance with an online order.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:32:48 PM »
My Home Depot has samples of the power tools cable locked to the display so you can handle them. The boxed tools are in a locked case. When I recently bought my 20V DeWalt set, not only did the employee have to unlock the case to grab the box, they had to walk it to the register with me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
Reducing everything to the lowest common denominator is being demanded virtually everywhere.  Glad I'm old.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:44:38 AM »
Reducing everything to the lowest common denominator is being demanded virtually everywhere.  Glad I'm old.

Our culture is being debased via this process.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
We're all equal now.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 10:41:52 AM »

It's why we are all forced to be masked, as well.

IN ALL OF THIS, I still have not seen any reporting on the transmission rate from asymptomatic carriers. But the masks are supposed to prevent people from spreading the disease, not catching it.

If asymptomatic people aren't spreaders, then we all we really need to do it tell people to wear masks when they show symptoms like coughs and sneezes.

But that might single people out, so everyone wears a stupid mask that will do nothing except allow people to virtue signal how much they CARE about others. (I've noticed these people who CARE about others also seem to be very angry and belligerent if you don't do what they want.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
We're all equal now.

Barry Lyndon

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 11:48:38 PM »
Even at Home Depot prices, a million bucks worth of tools is a lot of tools.

Wonder if he was just a klepto or if he was maintaining inventory for his own underground discount tool sale business.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 12:41:40 AM »
Even at Home Depot prices, a million bucks worth of tools is a lot of tools.

Wonder if he was just a klepto or if he was maintaining inventory for his own underground discount tool sale business.

My guess is that he had a side business selling tools out of a van in factory parking lots between shifts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »
Like the listings I see on OfferUp: new in the box DeWalt 20V cordless drill, no battery or charger.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.