Author Topic: A friend of mine has been shot by the IDF  (Read 5928 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
A friend of mine has been shot by the IDF
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
Happened during a protest against some action of the military in the West Bank which the protesters thought to be unfair to the inhabitants of that area.

The Army guys shot at them with a large amount of rubber bullets, threw flashbangs, and so on.

My friend (and I believe him, because he's not the crazy-wacko-leftie type, and actually a combat vet himself) got injured, and so were a few other guys in that protest. He says they were not doing anything even remotely dangerous or threatening, either.

So yeah. Meh. It sucks.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
Re: A friend of mine has been shot by the IDF
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:31:50 PM »
Best wishes for your friend.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »
Tell him to walk it off.

That's what coach always told me.  grin

Glad to hear he's okay.  Protesting can be dangerous.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:40:45 PM »
Tell him to walk it off.

That's what coach always told me.  grin

Glad to hear he's okay.  Protesting can be dangerous.

Well, he can't walk, per se, there's a giant hematoma-like thing on his leg, but I think there's no permanent damage.

He's in a lot of pain, and really pissed, too.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
Rub some dirt on it.  He will be ok.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
Amazing, some people are.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 09:02:17 PM »
Amazing, some people are.

You apparently didn't have a typical high school coach.  cheesy

A hematoma would get you a "take a lap and hit the showers".

Also, since he's alive, and was voluntarily participating in a "sport" known for rubber-bullet attracting, he's fair game for taunting.

I'm sure we are all glad the worst he got was major bruising.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
Just remember RICE

R est
I ce
C ompression
E levation

Ice for 30 minutes, rest it for an hour or so then more ice.  Do this for about 24 hours then switch to moist heat.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 09:14:04 PM »
Quote from: carebear
You apparently didn't have a typical high school coach. 

I was exempt from school sports. The coach had me hold the stopper while the guys did 2.5 klick laps. They sure did love me.

A hematoma would get you a "take a lap and hit the showers".

I may be having the name of it wrong. His doctor told him he'd walk by the middle of the week though.

Also, since he's alive, and was voluntarily participating in a "sport" known for rubber-bullet attracting, he's fair game for taunting.

A valid point, of course.

But the reason this annoys me is because normally you expect the Army to do this to 'professional protestor' types, the sort of long-haired hippy dudes this forum likes to hate, or people who throw rocks at  soldiers, and settler wackos.

Here's a reasonable fellow, who participates in a peaceful protest, who is an upstanding member of society and still they do this to him and a bunch of other people, without any sort of provocation.

Maybe I am stupid, but I expect the Army to only use this sort of stuff when someone is actually disrupting the peace, not just lob flashbangs or shoot at random protesters.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 09:18:28 PM »
Well, you roll the dice and sometimes you end up with jumpy cops.  Protesting is risky.

That's why I just mutter in bars and post brave comments on the internets.  cheesy

Hopefully there will be an investigation into any wrongdoing.

Oh, I'm sure you have the injury right, the joke is that the coach would even tell a guy with a broken leg to "take a lap and hit the showers".  grin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »
Well, you roll the dice and sometimes you end up with jumpy cops.  Protesting is risky.

That's why I just mutter in bars and post brave comments on the internets.  cheesy

Dude, that post is golden-I'm making that into my tshirt (the one that goes under my shirt, that is...)
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

wideym

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 09:32:03 PM »
Can we use flash bangs and rubber bullet on funeral protesters too? 

Please?

Pretty please?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 09:33:19 PM »

Dude, that post is golden-I'm making that into my tshirt (the one that goes under my shirt, that is...)

You are welcome to it my friend.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »
Can we use flash bangs and rubber bullet on funeral protesters too? 

Please?

Pretty please?

Actually the PGR and other groups have done a great job in silencing the protesters.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »

You are welcome to it my friend.

A very funny statement.  Can I also steal it- I'll name you as author.  smiley

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 01:54:28 AM »
Nevermind
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
So, this guy(?) was protesting against the IDF.  What did they expect the IDF to do, sing cum by ya and hold hands?  Some people live in the shallow end of the gene pool......chris3

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:44 AM »
There are non-liberal wackos that oppose the IDF?

You learn something new every day
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 09:24:52 AM »
There are non-liberal wackos that oppose the IDF?

You learn something new every day

Assumes quite a bit.

In a state with conscription, you are going to have many veterans who despised the/their service and who are alienated from that service.

I don't know that this is the case, but assumptions of right-wingitude of a veteran of a conscript army are not justified.

And then there are the right-wing folks who despise the IDF for their own reasons...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »
So, this guy(?) was protesting against the IDF.  What did they expect the IDF to do, sing cum by ya and hold hands?  Some people live in the shallow end of the gene pool......chris3

Like people who think that the army should be allowed to do whatever the hell it wants, including violating its own rules, to people we're not at war with, who have not done us anything wrong.

As per Nitrogen's comment, naturally the fellow is left-wing. But he's not an OMG NUTCASE HIPPIE, in the sense that he has a job, a life, reasonably-moderate views, and is a combat vet and former IDF officer.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »
Chris Titus:" Suck it up and stop being a wussieeee!"

taurusowner

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
I can't really comment since once guy's biased "someone told me" story on the internet isn't exactly the gold standard of proof.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »
I can't really comment since once guy's biased "someone told me" story on the internet isn't exactly the gold standard of proof.

Technically, posting that is "commenting".

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
Happened during a protest against some action of the military in the West Bank which the protesters thought to be unfair to the inhabitants of that area.

The Army guys shot at them with a large amount of rubber bullets, threw flashbangs, and so on.

My friend (and I believe him, because he's not the crazy-wacko-leftie type, and actually a combat vet himself) got injured, and so were a few other guys in that protest. He says they were not doing anything even remotely dangerous or threatening, either.

So yeah. Meh. It sucks.

Sorry to hear what happened to your friend.  Give him our regards and hopes that he'll not have any permanent damage.

Most combat vets I know IRL are pretty cynical about our government.  They'd more or less expect such a thing happening to unarmed protestors.  If he was level headed, rational and such, I'd be shocked if he didn't expect worse.  Saw footage from the FTAA 'riots' in Miami of downed protestors being shot with less-lethal weapons.  There is no such thing as "non-lethal" weapons.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 12:07:26 AM »
  If he was level headed, rational and such, I'd be shocked if he didn't expect worse.

He's pissed. Not sure if he expected this, but he's pissed and all like "I did not expect this from our Army, we didn't do this when I was in the service" and stuff.