Author Topic: A friend of mine has been shot by the IDF  (Read 5928 times)

DJJ

• friend
Re: A friend of mine has been shot by the IDF
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 03:27:27 AM »
Anyone remember the incident in Boston about a year ago when a young woman at a protest got hit in the eye with a pepper ball and killed? The general sentiment on this board was, "she was told to disperse and she chose not to. That makes it a suicide." I must say MicroBalrog's friend is being given a lot more consideration here. Any comments?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 03:30:38 AM »
I am don't see it that way.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 07:50:04 AM »

In the Boston case, she wasn't "protesting", the event wasn't a "protest" at all if I remember correctly. 
She was deliberately hanging around the fringes of a post-game mini-riot watching drunk idiots burn vehicles and actively fight with police.

Rather than just leave the scene of the riot like a smart, non-involved person would, which she had plenty of time and police warnings to do, she decided to stick around and watch the fun.

That is a different scenario from a group of peaceful protestors who get hit with LTL rounds apparently appropriately aimed.  From the description, which I have no reason to doubt, they weren't fighting the cops or rioting. 

Apples and Oranges.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 08:08:17 AM »
How's he doing now?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »
  If he was level headed, rational and such, I'd be shocked if he didn't expect worse.

He's pissed. Not sure if he expected this, but he's pissed and all like "I did not expect this from our Army, we didn't do this when I was in the service" and stuff.

I assure you, the death of one's faith in one's own service is much more painful than any injured leg.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

atomd

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
In the Boston case, she wasn't "protesting", the event wasn't a "protest" at all if I remember correctly.
She was deliberately hanging around the fringes of a post-game mini-riot watching drunk idiots burn vehicles and actively fight with police.
Rather than just leave the scene of the riot like a smart, non-involved person would, which she had plenty of time and police warnings to do, she decided to stick around and watch the fun.

That incident happened after a Red Sox game about 4 years or so ago. After the game, a bunch of idiots were in the streets being rowdy. The police wanted to clear the streets. This was right outside the field (down the road from there someone lit a car on fire later on in the night during a mini riot). There wasn't any fighting or rioting at that particular spot where the girl was though. It was just a bunch of drunks yelling and not clearing the area fast enough. People were up on the beams and refusing to come down. The police ended up using pepper balls on the crowd. They weren't using them as intended, they were using them to "punish" people. One guy got hit at close range with something like 30 or so pepper balls. Since they were just firing them indiscriminately into the crowd (some at eye level)...a girl standing with her friends next to a vendor's cart got hit directly in the eye and died.

The police ended up saying that it was due to a "lack of training" and said they would discontinue their use of the pepper balls until the ordeal was sorted out. The Boston PD was seen with them and photographed only days later though. So the family sued the police and won. I think it was something like 4 million dollars they got in the settlement. My tax dollars well spent  rolleyes

Of course the people outside the park were being idiots and some if not most of them deserved to be arrested. The Boston PD's  behavior wasn't much better though.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
No. Not apples and oranges. Another argument often used and accepted here (and elsewhere) is "we weren't there/you weren't there, so we/you don't really know what happened"; so, we weren't there; we don't know what MicroBalrog's friend and the other protestors were doing (but we can assume, the argument goes, that they must have done something to make the troops feel threatened).

So, as devil's advocate, I say again: Where is this argument now?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 10:14:55 PM »
He is better. Walking fine, as I hear.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 12:59:02 AM »
That's good. I kew a woman once who got a hematoma in her leg after the wax plug in an M80 (large firecracker) hit her. She had allll, kinds of trouble with it.
Avoid cliches like the plague!