Author Topic: A Fitting Tribute to a Slain Navy SEAL Gains Attention  (Read 939 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
A Fitting Tribute to a Slain Navy SEAL Gains Attention
« on: July 04, 2008, 06:38:55 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,376243,00.html

A little-known tribute some Navy SEALs gave to a fallen comrade is gaining notice.

Petty Officer Michael A. Monsoor was killed in battle in Iraq in September 2006, and posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in April.

His funeral in Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego was attended by nearly every SEAL on the West Coast, said his grandfather, George Monsoor, Sr., who described his grandson as an outgoing guy.

During the service, as Monsoor's coffin was taken from the hearse to the gravesite, Navy SEALs lined up in two columns. As the coffin passed, video shows each SEAL slapping down the gold Trident from his uniform and deeply embedding it in Monsoor's wooden coffin.

The slaps were reportedly heard across the cemetery.

The symbolic display moved many, included President Bush, who during his speech in April's Medal of Honor ceremony spoke about the incident.

"The procession went on nearly half an hour," Bush said. "And when it was all over, the simple wooden coffin had become a gold-plated memorial to a hero who will never be forgotten.

Monsoor was killed on Sept. 29, 2006. He had been assigned to protect fellow SEALs on a rooftop in Ramadi, Iraq, when a fierce firefight with insurgents broke out. During the battle, a grenade bounced off Monsoors chest and landed on the roof.

Faced with the choice to save his comrades or save himself, Monsoor threw himself on the grenade, absorbing the impact.

He is survived by his parents, an older sister and two brothers.

What a better story for the 4th.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Bob F.

• friend
Re: A Fitting Tribute to a Slain Navy SEAL Gains Attention
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 06:10:13 PM »
Thanks for posting that, 67!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: A Fitting Tribute to a Slain Navy SEAL Gains Attention
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:52:53 AM »
Is it bad when the first thought that went through my head was, "That'll get the archaeologists going in a few hundred years" ?

Pretty damned impressive.  smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams