Author Topic: A fun new anti-crime measure...lock down the city!  (Read 5746 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: A fun new anti-crime measure...lock down the city!
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
Ah, but what if I don't shoot the guy, but go up to him, stick my 1911 in his ear, and tell him to take his hands off the girl?

But what if he has a vest on?

But what if she screams "help me!"

But what if...?

You can play that game all you want and it will never expose the facts of a real situation you might face next month.  And it will never give you concrete knowledge of those facts prior to engaging the situation and making your decision on what to do about it.

I'm not saying, don't shoot the apparent rapist.  I'm not saying to just shoot him, either.  I'm saying, think outside the box, especially if it's not your life or a direct friend or family member's life, on the line.  Don't go tunnel vision the situation and immediately become johnny-on-the-spot-with-a-gun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »
i'm remeinded of the hair poulling and rent garments over the dc checkpoints in trinidad. and like there the wailing comes , not so strangly, from folks not in the affected areas. they aeren't shooting folks on sight for being on the street. they are attempting to make it so the people that live there don't have their kids sleeping in the bath tub. and if offends the folks in suburbia too bad.

What's the likelihood of even one person from that tiny town posting on APS?

Approximately zero.

There have been cases of people suing, and winning, against curfews in the US. There's judicial precedent that even partial curfews against minors can sometimes be unconstitutional.

How do you know that people in that town overwhelmingly support the curfew (not that it justifies it if they do)?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 01:22:13 PM »
Ah, but what if I don't shoot the guy, but go up to him, stick my 1911 in his ear, and tell him to take his hands off the girl?

But what if he has a vest on?

But what if she screams "help me!"

But what if...?

You can play that game all you want and it will never expose the facts of a real situation you might face next month.  And it will never give you concrete knowledge of those facts prior to engaging the situation and making your decision on what to do about it.

I'm not saying, don't shoot the apparent rapist.  I'm not saying to just shoot him, either.  I'm saying, think outside the box, especially if it's not your life or a direct friend or family member's life, on the line.  Don't go tunnel vision the situation and immediately become johnny-on-the-spot-with-a-gun.

...that's why hand grenades should be a legal option......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »
IMO, those people were always on THR, they just got drowned out normally or you just missed them.  In my experience, there were always a pretty wide variety of views for one reason or another. 

I still visit the weapons forums mostly and check the sales section.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 03:56:32 PM »
I mostly hang out in the rifle section so I don't have to listen to the bickering.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »
I mostly hang out in the rifle section so I don't have to listen to the bickering.

No bickering in the rifle section?  Have we been going to the same forums?   shocked
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »
Oh, I mean we have the usual AK vs AR, etc, etc, but that's a given fact of life. I just don't have to hear so much about Bug Out Bags, or "I almost had to draw today" or whatnot...the general section is far more annoying to me than rifle country...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 01:51:32 AM »
I've gotten to where I only check out the "Non-Firearms Weapons" section....sm & a few other sensible folks still hang out there and give good advice....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 04:40:43 AM »
Oh, I mean we have the usual AK vs AR, etc, etc, but that's a given fact of life. I just don't have to hear so much about Bug Out Bags, or "I almost had to draw today" or whatnot...the general section is far more annoying to me than rifle country...

Hey, I always read the threads on Bug Out Bags, Bug Out Plans, etc.  There's some great comedy to be found there.  One recent thread listed what would probably be 100 lbs of equipment for a guys Bug Out Bag.  Wonder how long he;d be able to carry that...

Boy did this thread take a turn, from an imposition of a 24 hour curfew with random police stops and checks to a bash on the members of THR.  Bet this one ends soon...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 04:45:29 AM »
Oh, I mean we have the usual AK vs AR, etc, etc, but that's a given fact of life.

Throw a Daewoo K2 into the mix, there. It confuses them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 04:53:03 AM »
"Many seem to feel that the legal implications of shooting someone who isn't a direct threat to you outweigh the ethical implications of letting something bad happen to someone else."

Personally I don't feel any overriding or compelling moral obligation to be a cop replacement.

That doesn't say that I wouldn't help someone, but I don't feel that I have a duty to do so.

My ONLY obligations are to me, my family and my closest friends. No one else.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 09:02:42 AM »
"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

shocked This scares me.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »
Boy did this thread take a turn, from an imposition of a 24 hour curfew with random police stops and checks to a bash on the members of THR.  Bet this one ends soon...

I admit that I made a mistake when I used THR as an example. Fact is, it's most firearms type boards have these issues, but THR is the one I participate in the most...

When you've been on the board for 3 or 4 years, it gets kind of old seeing the same stuff keep popping up over and over again...and if you were around for the Katrina/SHTF stuff...even the mods wanted to impose restrictions on SHTF discussions...stuff was really getting out of hand. THR really improved once the mods kicked politics out and did some house cleaning, and that really calmed some stuff down.

Oh, and what's with the spammers this week? I've read several threads that have had spammers posting...

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

shocked This scares me.

He forgot to say "except the law and important people like me".

Oh, I mean we have the usual AK vs AR, etc, etc, but that's a given fact of life.

Throw a Daewoo K2 into the mix, there. It confuses them.

I kick myself every other week for not getting one of those back when they could be had for $500. Cool rifle...I've only seen one once in my life, back in late '04, right before the AWB expired.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 09:38:24 AM »
I've gotten to where I only check out the "Non-Firearms Weapons" section....sm & a few other sensible folks still hang out there and give good advice....

Same here. The Tourist and sm have had a few rather interesting and informative threads lately... I've been enjoying reading about The Tourist's experiences with sharpening and his love for the Razel.
Andy

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »

shocked This scares me.
Me too. Being out in the wee hours during the summer is great. All the asshats are in bed, it's quiet, peaceful, only hear the occasional bird, and insects chirping.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »
The only reason this thread hasn't been ended is because it's not turned into a THR bash fest.

A few comments have been made about THR and its posters regarding their response to this topic. That's fine.

If that subject begins to dominate the conversation, however, it won't be.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.