Author Topic: A Frozen Walk to Island Ice Caves  (Read 1332 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
A Frozen Walk to Island Ice Caves
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »
For the first time in five years, Lake Superior, the world's largest freshwater lake, has frozen enough to allow visitors from northern Wisconsin to walk across the lake to the ice caves of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.

Any of our WI APS members ever do this?  Mash the link below for pictures.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/02/a-frozen-walk-to-island-ice-caves/100682/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: A Frozen Walk to Island Ice Caves
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »

Last time I was in WI, the WI APS contingent wouldn't let me have any fun on the water.   :mad:

That looks extremely cool. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »
I've been along that part of the coast in winter, but not when Superior was frozen enough to cross to the Apostles.  I didn't realize they're only a mile offshore.  It looks beautiful.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »
Cooooool.

Here is a winner from the comments.
You're right and don't know it. Extremes of weather are exactly what we can expect from global warming. Meanwhile, in Australia, tennis players are finding that the soles of their shoes tend to melt on tarmac courts, California is having a record drought that may imperil the entire country's food supply, and -- forget it, if it's cold outside, there's no global warming, right? Said so on Fox.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »
Last time I was in WI, the WI APS contingent wouldn't let me have any fun on the water.   :mad:

That looks extremely cool. 

Hey, I was perfectly fine with your plans regarding Mordor.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
That's very cool!

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »
Yes, very cool. 

What?  No jokes about a certain place freezing over?   =)
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »
Yes, very cool. 

What?  No jokes about a certain place freezing over?   =)

That "certain place" is in Michigan. http://www.gotohellmi.com/
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G