Author Topic: A French soldier's view of U.S. soldiers  (Read 1387 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
A French soldier's view of U.S. soldiers
« on: December 16, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »

I don't have anything to add.  It's interesting to see how our troops are perceived by our allies:

http://www.warriorlodge.com/blogs/news/16298760-a-french-soldiers-view-of-us-soldiers-in-afghanistan

Heavily built, fed at the earliest age with Gatorade, proteins and creatine (Heh. More like Waffle House and McDonalds) - they are all heads and shoulders taller than us and their muscles remind us of Rambo. Our frames are amusingly skinny to them - we are wimps, even the strongest of us - and because of that they often mistake us for Afghans.

And they are impressive warriors! We have not come across bad ones, as strange at it may seem to you when you know how critical French people can be. Even if some of them are a bit on the heavy side, all of them provide us everyday with lessons in infantry know-how.
More at the link.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: A French soldier's view of U.S. soldiers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »
Saw this on the book of face and shared it over there.  Good read.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
So much more the shame that the civilian "leaders" blow an uncertain trumpet.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »
My thought - we paid a heavy, heavy price for that competency.  We started paying way back in WWI.  More or less continuous conflict since then.

As for the waffle house - the DoD goes through a LOT of protein powder and such.  We're not the general population.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: A French soldier's view of U.S. soldiers
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 07:03:33 AM »
I will look to find the reference,  but I think this trend started in WWII.

Can't recall which book about the rescue of POWs at Cabanatuan, but one described that the Rangers were significantly larger than the average soldier before the war, which most of those prisoners were, but not significantly so of soldiers during the war.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
Soldiers have generally suffered less from nutritional deficiency that the general population.  Even when there was generalized scarcity.  I put it down to that whole "We are a gang of folks with sharp pointy sticks.  We will take whatever we want" mentality.

Foraging for food other than during time of war died down by the 19th century but when the quality and quantity of food reached some ill-defined floor it was still an option.  Improvments in mechanization, technology, and transportation seem to have been responsible for the production of more foodstuff and the way to get it to the troops in garrison or in the field.  Not that what they got was always "better" than what the generation before was being fed.

The other thing, I think, is that the US has never suffered the widespread loss of foodstuff production that has occurred in countries where combat was taking place.  It's difficult to till, plant, grow, and harvest a crop when folks are blowing up the fields.  We've always been more well fed (quantity), if not always better fed (quality), than most of the rest of the world because, among other things, we did not have our crops blown up from under us.

We have the genes for growing big folks, while other places have genes that support a population that does not need as many calories.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »

Years old, but still an uplifting read. I spent a lot of time with foreign units. He is being overly nice on some points, but the jist is correct. We're a lot bigger than most people. Maybe fatter, but a hell of a lot harder than most folks. Eastern Europeans are the closest second.

Yes, we Americans do instinctively come charging to the rescue without stopping to think about it. Yes, we tend to do more stuff on our own initiative. Not saying it's always true, always a good idea or applicable to everyone, but it's a noticeable trend.

And while it's popular to venerate WWII vets as the "greatest generation", they'd be eaten alive by current troops even if given the same equipment. I knew folks that served in Vietnam that would have said the same thing.

The translation from French is mostly accurate, but too hooah. I did like: Adeptes du débarqué assaut, ils bombardent d’abord et posent les questions ensuite, ce qui limite les tergiversations.

"Followers of dismounted assault, they first bombed and ask questions later, limiting procrastination."

Hell, I'd be pleased with that on my headstone.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.