Author Topic: A flurry of flies  (Read 603 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
A flurry of flies
« on: November 05, 2023, 06:52:54 PM »
Last couple of days I've had four flies in the house and I can't figure out why since I don't go in and out that often.  Normally "fly season" ends mid-late October and even "in season," they aren't active until 9-10AM, depending on weather.  We had a cold snap here for a couple of days then it warmed up a bit.

I wonder if something died in the pastures, but I can't see anything out there from my second floor balconies.  I did notice a bunch of magpie feathers on the front lawn the other day, so, you know, nature exists naturally in this half-farm-half-residence "transitional zone" area.

When the neighbors were running horses, we had a large fly concentration  --a real pain in the butt --but since then, and until now, not much to think about.

Nowadays, four flies in the house is a lot, and I'm thinking of breaking out some of the sticky flycatchers I had from when the horses were around.   I don't know if they're still good after all this time.

Anyone else have a fly spike recently?

Terry "Can't abide flying insects," 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: A flurry of flies
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 10:09:41 PM »
I enjoy the electric fly "tennis" racket my sister bought me. You mostly have to trap them against the window with it though. The racket creates turbulence or air pressure and getting them on the fly is near impossible.

No increase of flies in the marshland just south of Lake Michigan.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 04:55:14 AM »
I got one of those swatters, too, with the same problems you describe.  I de-batteried it and parked it in a closet.  I figure if I ever again need a battery-powered source of highish voltage, that might suffice.

When I had horses I discovered a couple of things about flies.  One was they would come in the garage sometime before dusk and park themseves, the most popular thing being vertically-hanging things, then in the morning I'd open the garage doors and most of them would fly out.  I had my machine shop in 1/2 the garage.

That vertical preference thing fascinated me, so I rigged two stiff parallel wires close together, put like 400VDC on them and hung them up.  Observation indicated they were possibly sensitive to the electric fields and would avoid landing on it.  Disappointed, I was thinking of trying one of those pulsing electric fence chargers or rigging the HV source to a 555 timer to pulse every three or four seconds to give them a chance to land on their preferred vertical thing and get all comfy before a pulse.  I never got around to it for some reason and just got along with fly paper hung around the garage.

In my apartment I noticed (when there were horses and they were a real problem) that for some reason they preferred a curved yellow part of the sink. Wasn't dirty or anything, there was just something about ir that was comfy for them.

I was surprised just the other day when I found one of those four in the OP resting on the same curved area of the sink.  And this is at least 8-10 years after the fly plague due to the horses.  So it looks like something in fly brains makes them like that part of the kitchen sink as well as vertical things and horse manure.

Go figure.

I think I'm rid of those four adventurers now, either by mechanical means or they expired.  At least non of them have crossed in front of the laptop screen or the TV or past my ears.

(I found that when you use a fly swatter, it pays to not swing down on them to splat them, but just above where they're sitting and you can knock them down in midair, just as they're taking off in an escape attempt.  Much more sanitary.)

Just off the wall during this four fly episode, I noticed there was something about the top of my laptop screen they liked, so I created a screen filled with yellow (like the sink) with a small image of a fly on it with MS Paint and left it on my computer while doing other thngs.

They didn't seem to pay any additional attention to my fly decoy.

No joy there.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 05:23:10 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 05:21:41 PM »
I got one of these (not the same model) for a gift a couple years ago.  Work great.  Hits them from far enough away they don't get spooked.  Works decently on wasps as long as there is only one or two.  I don't think I have had to reload the salt since the first time.  I have not tried it on snails. 

BUG-A-SALT 3.0 Black Fly Edition
https://www.amazon.com/BUG-A-SALT-3-0-Black-Fly-Edition/dp/B07RJZNY5C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2470S06NERSA1&keywords=assault+bug+gun&qid=1699309074&sprefix=asalt%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 07:05:10 PM »
Oh, you're talking about the salt spritzer.  I considered that but didn't like the idea of salt running around loose where I have guns and a few tools.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 10:39:35 PM »
I got one of these (not the same model) for a gift a couple years ago.  Work great.  Hits them from far enough away they don't get spooked.  Works decently on wasps as long as there is only one or two.  I don't think I have had to reload the salt since the first time.  I have not tried it on snails. 

BUG-A-SALT 3.0 Black Fly Edition
https://www.amazon.com/BUG-A-SALT-3-0-Black-Fly-Edition/dp/B07RJZNY5C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2470S06NERSA1&keywords=assault+bug+gun&qid=1699309074&sprefix=asalt%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I was given one similar to that.  Gonna have to take it apart & find why it's shooting waaay to the left.  I'm usually pretty good with Kentucky windage but it's too far off the mark.

It does work as designed when able to get the muzzle close enough to the beastie to not miss.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 11:56:57 AM »
:) Move your rear sight to the right.  Or your front sight to the left. :rofl:

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 01:08:53 PM »
I'm convinced it's an eye dominance issue
 :P
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 01:48:54 PM »
Mine shoots pretty close to where I aim.  Usually the target is only 3 or 4 feet away.  There is a bit of spread, but mainly the velocity drops off much further than that.  I shot a fly a couple weeks ago and it just dropped.  No risk of hitting other stuff while swinging a fly swatter around.

When I was a kid, they sold those rubber band guns at the fairs.  Those can take out a fly if you can aim them properly. 

This one might cause other damage.
https://www.amazon.com/Compound-Material-Catapult-Shooting-Entertainment/dp/B0BKZW27FY/ref=sr_1_41?crid=MC366NXPORXD&keywords=rubber+band+gun&qid=1699382777&sprefix=rubber+band+gun%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-41
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 06:09:47 PM »
Forty plus years ago I was able to acquire a small Daisy 102 Cub BB gun in a trade that may have included skateboard wheels. This was the short model, plastic buttstock and without a forend.
The little plinker was a great compliment to my Model 99 Target with peep sights, and it served well as a muzzleloader scattergun. 
Emptied of BBs, i would put a small wad of tissue, TP, or paper towel in the muzzle, jammed it most of the way down the barrel, and followed with a small measure of sand. If i was in a stationary blind that was it. Scouting required another wad to keep the sand from falling out. I don't recollect what I used as a pushrod. 
It was deadly on flies, wasps, and bees out to a few yards and I got lucky and knocked down a few fliers.
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 02:18:55 AM »
^"I don't recollect what I used as a pushrod.
It was deadly on flies, wasps, and bees out to a few yards and I got lucky and knocked down a few fliers."

Lead a body length for every ten yards of altitude.

Oh, wait, I think that's for pterodactyls.

Good eatin'.

Terry, 230RN