Author Topic: Sad  (Read 1790 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Sad
« on: May 28, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »
Not just sad -- disgraceful.

http://www.glendaleohio.org/PDF/essaycontest.pdf

Contest for essays about the meaning of Memorial Day. The two runners-up got it right. The kid who won got it wrong. There is so much fail in the winning essay I woud need an entire day to properly critique it, but we'll start with this gem:

know that Memorial Day is a day where all those military veterans past and present are honored and remembered for their actions.  I honor my family members every year by putting on my Cub Scout uniform and marching with my pack in Glendale’s Memorial Day parade.  I believe that every citizen should take a moment on this day to remember those
members of the U.S. military that are currently in harm’s way and say a small prayer for them and their families that they return home safely.

The kid doesn't know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day -- and the effing judges didn't know the difference, either.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Sad
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:31:35 AM »
What's sad is that all the service members' holidays, at least around here, are dedicated to complaining about well-meaning, yet ignorant people who get the holidays' meanings confused. I think there's been enough of that. Maybe there's a better way to deal with the problem.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
Let me say this...if he's a Cub Scout, he is no older than 8 or 9 years old.  I'm willing to overlook that from an 8 or 9 year old boy.  It's the adults that make me nuts.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
Very well said, Fistful.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
What's sad is that all the service members' holidays, at least around here, are dedicated to complaining about well-meaning, yet ignorant people who get the holidays' meanings confused. I think there's been enough of that. Maybe there's a better way to deal with the problem.

There is -- bring back teaching what the holidays are supposed to mean in grammar school.

There's a saying that ignorance can be educated, but stupidity is forever. So if all these well meaning people are just ignorant, in theory that can be corrected -- by educating them. We can't educate them if we avoid discussing the issue.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »
Let me say this...if he's a Cub Scout, he is no older than 8 or 9 years old.  I'm willing to overlook that from an 8 or 9 year old boy.  It's the adults that make me nuts.

I'm willing to cut him some slack. My real complaint is the judges who rated his essay higher than the two runners-up -- both of whom seem to have a much better understanding of what the day is supposed to mean.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
We can't educate them if we avoid discussing the issue.

We talk about it every Memorial Day (if not more often). It just feels like a dead horse to me.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 02:13:36 PM »
We talk about it every Memorial Day (if not more often). It just feels like a dead horse to me.

Memorial Day isn't about horses.  Sheesh!   :police:  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
 :'(

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 04:02:58 PM »
Not mine, saw it other site

Once upon a time, it was called Decoration Day.

Rather than a go to the lake, get drunk, and make an ass of yourself...it was a solemn day. A day for thinking about those that gave their lives in order for so many to enjoy the screwed up lives they live today.

I still care. Not just one day of the year. Several. I remember ..... and I still miss them. Some family....mostly old runnin' buds of mine that came back in a government regulation box...if they came home at all.

The ones that did make it back home, I still visit often. To tend their graves, to talk, to remember the days of innocence... of a time so very long ago.

Airborne, Special Forces, Berets, my friends wanted to make a difference. And damned if several of them didn't do just that.

A few came back alive, but dead inside....and unrecognizable to many. Physical scars, emotional scars, scars nevertheless. A few survivors could cope.....a few could not....and died on peaceful shores.

America changed.....people changed.....and not necessarily for the better.

I yearn for a simpler time....a time when life was sweet....and worth something.

A time when America and Americans were damn proud.

Of God.....and Country....and were not ashamed to admit to either.

Call it "Memorial Day", go to the lake, get drunk, make an ass of yourself.

As for me, and mine, we will call it Decoration Day....and by God's grace, we will remember......as long as we remain.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
Relevant:

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBBBezr?m=en-us

Indeed so.

What is the true meaning of Memorial Day? Ask any Gold Star family and they'll tell you what it means. It's not about the picnics. It's about the men and women who have given their lives for this country.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 01:20:40 PM »
I'll take the Cub Scout not completely understanding the meaning over both Vox and Salon deciding that today was a fine day to put out articles and tweets dissing the military. That's how they got Trump.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 04:30:55 PM »
Not just sad -- disgraceful.

http://www.glendaleohio.org/PDF/essaycontest.pdf

Contest for essays about the meaning of Memorial Day. The two runners-up got it right. The kid who won got it wrong. There is so much fail in the winning essay I woud need an entire day to properly critique it, but we'll start with this gem:

The kid doesn't know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day -- and the effing judges didn't know the difference, either.
I'll take the Cub Scout not completely understanding the meaning over both Vox and Salon deciding that today was a fine day to put out articles and tweets dissing the military. That's how they got Trump.

Well said.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.