Author Topic: 'Foolhardy' to push amnesty during recession  (Read 3460 times)

Desertdog

• friends
'Foolhardy' to push amnesty during recession
« on: December 04, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
I really think the Democrats really don't give a damn what the voters think as long as they think they will be reelected.

'Foolhardy' to push amnesty during recession
Chad Groening and Jody Brown - OneNewsNow - 12/4/2008 8:30:00 AM

An immigration reform activist thinks it will be tough for Democrats to push through an amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants when the new Congress and new president take the reins next year.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) has indicated that he wants to pass amnesty legislation early in the next congressional session, even though many analysts believe the economic recession has pushed the immigration issue to the back burner.

In a recent action alert, Californians for Population Stabilization (CAPS) says Reid, Senator John McCain (R-Arizona), and president-elect Barack Obama want to demonstrate the bipartisan "accomplishment" -- even as millions of Americans are losing their jobs.

CAPS spokesman Rick Oltman says an overwhelming majority of Americans oppose amnesty. "We know that the public does not support an amnesty. [And] we know that talk radio and a lot of cable news [programs] would make this [story] front and center every single day they broadcast," he says.

"And so while Harry Reid may think it's easy, I don't think it's going to be that easy," Oltman suggests. "t's just possible that the new administration may not want to squander any goodwill that it has on something as foolhardy as an amnesty."

Oltman believes that this latest amnesty proposal will spark the same outrage that killed the last bill.

Senator Reid himself noted just before Thanksgiving that his own state, where unemployment has jumped to 7.6 percent, has been hit harder than most by the downturn in the national economy. His statement came the day after the Senate had approved legislation extending benefits to 20 weeks in states where unemployment exceeds six percent.

longeyes

• friend
Re: 'Foolhardy' to push amnesty during recession
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:34:27 PM »
Since when have righteous ideologues bothered themselves about what makes practical sense or what matters to the people?  They believe they know better; we need to make clear to them they don't.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:21:30 AM »
I don't suppose anybody will ever push easing the application process of LEGAL immigrants, will they?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »
I don't suppose anybody will ever push easing the application process of LEGAL immigrants, will they?

Of course not. There's also special classes of immigrants that are tolerated because they have a powerful lobby, while the blatant racism of turning others away is ignored.

Just about every Haitian that makes it to US shores, especially Florida, is taken to the Krome Avenue Detention Center and taken back to Haiti. This despite the fact that every Haitian I've met is a hard worker, they often hold down two or more jobs, and they speak a beautiful King's English.

Nobody seems to notice that, nobody calls it racism, and I can never figure out why.

Of course, there's no Haitian lobby. They just are happy to be here if they can stay, and work to become Americans.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
. . . every Haitian I've met is a hard worker, they often hold down two or more jobs, and they speak a beautiful King's English.
Interesting.

I have a friend who went to medical school on the other side of Hispaniola, in the Dominican Republic.

After several months there, he coined a new perjorative term for the locals which I certainly won't repeat here . . . but if what you wrote about hard-working Haitians is true, it would appear that folks on that side of the island are VASTLY different than those in the DR.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »
Illegal immigration is probably as controversial as gun control.  If they are going to push the one, anyone seriously think they will ignore the other?

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
That's because in the DR Haitians are an underclass. It is a combination of wars between the DR and Haiti and the ye olde caste system (which ranks people by their whiteness and mix with natives and africans) in the DR is still unmentionably observed.  The former dictator Trujillo even went as far as to go on a rampage killing Haitians. Compounding the problem is that Haiti has a large drug (usage) problem and Haiti is a very poor country.  Where do leeches go? They go to the rich side of the island and suck on the teet of the productive.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:35:08 PM »
Illegal immigration is probably as controversial as gun control.  If they are going to push the one, anyone seriously think they will ignore the other?

In the minds of the rulers the two issues are conjoined, since they believe illegal immigration will so change the population of the U.S. that RKBA will be nullified.

"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jeff B.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
... An immigration reform activist thinks it will be tough for Democrats to push through an amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants when the new Congress and new president take the reins next year. ...

... CAPS spokesman Rick Oltman says an overwhelming majority of Americans oppose amnesty. "We know that the public does not support an amnesty. [And] we know that talk radio and a lot of cable news [programs] would make this [story] front and center every single day they broadcast," he says. ...

... Oltman believes that this latest amnesty proposal will spark the same outrage that killed the last bill. ...

If you remember the last run at this with GWB & McCain in the lead, the response from the public was overwhelming and scathing.  Support evaporated once Representatives and Senators of both parties realized that they needed to get away from the "third rail" as quickly as possible.  With the economy in the shape it is, the response to another effort for amnesty would be interesting to say the least...

If Obama's team thinks he has the mojo to pull this one off, they will be making an immense mistake and cast the Messiah in a very unfavorable light to a great many Americans.

Jeff B.

"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
Whether an amnesty can be sold to the American people will depend about how grave the economic situation is for average tax-paying American citizen, but it will also depend upon whether we hear loud and dynamic voices speaking with vehemence about what such an amnesty would really mean.  This will take more than talk radio stirring up a tsusami of faxes and phone calls, because the Left is now emboldened and playing for keeps.  They know, and we should know, that this is game and match.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »
The new meme is...infrastructure.

Otherwise known as the Third World jobs program.  With special incentives for elite plantation owners.

Maybe the American taxpayer will start asking who exactly will be getting these jobs?  Will it be the same people who cleaned up after Katrina?

One of the reasons we need so much new infrastructure is the amount of "new population" we've imported in the last 20 years.

And you thought bleeding the sick patient went out a long time ago?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 08:06:06 PM »
I got an idea immigration "reform" as defined by McCain/Graham/Kennedy will not flush while a half millions jobs a month go away.  Talk about your basic flash point.  I suspect "reform" will go away until the economy somewhat improves. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
The Politicos know something we don't like to admit: the voters will get over it, if election time is far enough away.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
The voters may get over it.  But maybe this isn't just about voting any more...
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 03:37:53 PM »
The voters may get over it.  But maybe this isn't just about voting any more...

As long as people have the lights on, food in the fridge and their reality TV on the flatscreen they got on credit, most of them could care less. If they get some free government money for not trying, they'll be even happier.