Author Topic: Former mining town, now sort-of ghost town  (Read 476 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

dogmush

• friend
Re: Former mining town, now sort-of ghost town
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 06:20:00 PM »
I've been there.  Some great hiking both in the mountains and on the nearby glacier. When I lived in AK (in the 90's) we used to do a mountain bike stage race up there.  Stage one was 60 ish mile from Chitna to McCarthy (actually to the edge of the river, there was no road into McCarthy at the time, you had to take a cable car over the river). Stage two was a hill climb from McCarthy to Kennicott, stage 3 was a downhill race back to McCarthy,  and stage four was an observed trial in the glacial moraine. Super fun.

They built a bridge over the river so you can drive to McCarthy and put guardrails on the Kuskulana bridge so it's less "Alaskan" now, but still a fun place to visit last time I was up there.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 06:38:19 PM »
There's a recent mining ghost town in Picher, Oklahoma.  I drive through there every few years to see if the gorilla statue is still standing guard.  (he is; he's been moved to an actual Picher-Carden memorial on the side of old US-69) 

I sent a message to the History Guy that he should do an episode about a town that deserves to be remembered.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 08:12:52 PM »
I've spent a lot of time working in Picher (AT&T). Was there to see it go from a dying town to a ghost town. Having to work at the CO there at night after the town was dead was "interesting".  It's about an hour from my place.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 08:29:33 AM »
I've spent a lot of time working in Picher (AT&T). Was there to see it go from a dying town to a ghost town. Having to work at the CO there at night after the town was dead was "interesting".  It's about an hour from my place.

All that toxic lead out there would explain a lot about you... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »
A friend of mine grew up in Picher. I pick on her all the time about that. :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams