Author Topic: Blackburn explores the martial arts  (Read 3298 times)

Blackburn explores the martial arts
« on: November 27, 2005, 12:55:07 PM »
Since I was reading up on wingchun on bullshido, my interest in learning a fighting style has resurfaced.

I don't really want to learn a fancy asian martial art. I don't believe in all of the fancy moves and roleplaying type jibber-jabber. I'm interested primarily in:

Boxing
Krav Maga, if there is some non-BS place for me to learn at.
Kickboxing, just for being able to throw a good kick or three.
Some form of grappling, because too many fights go to the ground. I don't like the looks of grappling. I don't really want to learn grappling, especially because it looks unglamorous. But it's clearly important.

Martial Arts aren't about learning honor or respect. They're about learning to hurt people. I just want to have a very direct, fast, and punishing technique. Not complicated move, complicated move, flip the person over, apply complicated move to hold them down.
More like quickly punching sensitive areas very hard, kneeing someone in the face, and planting them into concrete.

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:31:03 PM »
Martial Arts aren't about learning honor or respect.
Those are tools that can make the difference between waking up in a hospital and walking away with your teeth still in your head.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Martial Arts aren't about learning honor or respect.
Those are tools that can make the difference between waking up in a hospital and walking away with your teeth still in your head.
Exactly.
Hi.

...has left the building.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:31:27 PM »
Okay...so what is the point of your post?

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 05:44:07 PM »
unarmed combat is why they invented backup guns, duh

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 06:17:49 PM »
Martial Arts aren't about learning honor or respect. They're about learning to hurt people.
Not so. Is keeping and bearing arms about killing people?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 06:36:57 PM »
Good point by Standing Wolf, and it sounds like you have no respect at all for TMA.  But at the same time, you dismiss one of the most effective styles of fighting because it doesn't look cool enough :?

Sounds like you'd be happiest going the standard MMA route--wrestling, BJJ, and muay thai/american boxing/kickboxing.  Take some classes in each and maybe some Krav for disarmament techniques.

Really though, if all you want to do is hurt people, it's not really brain surgery.  Apply hard point A to soft point B.  Get in the gym and do bag work and cardio until your limbs fall off.

Strings

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:23:30 PM »
Your best bet (at least, what's worked for me), is to find people who are experienced in different things and spar. 'Course, I started learning blade work at 5 or so (don't ask... it was kinda silly, and DEFINATELY a spectator sport)...

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 01:35:15 AM »
Best wishes Blackburn.  Hope you find what you are looking for.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 02:43:07 AM »
I would suggest finding a local boxing gym. You'll want to get a good idea of how it feels to get bopped in the noggin' a few times and maybe some good shots in the ribs if your real lucky. No better experience IMHO...

Then move on to the fancy stuff later.

Sideline: I just watched reruns of Ali fighting Oscar Buenavena and then some scrappy little German (I think). I'm still amazed by his talent. A lightning fast invsible left hook put Oscar down near the end even though he pummeled Ali pretty much throughout the fight. I don't remember how the German went down, he also put up a helluva a fight but he did go down.

During the Buenavena fight Joe Frazier's manager was at the microphone with none other than Howard Cosell and Frazier's manager kept calling him "Clay".

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 05:11:33 AM »
Gotta side with Blackburn in one respect:  I'm not too impressed witht the Japanophile/Koreaophile/whatever-o-phile strain running through many dojos.  Gets to be cloying after a while.

That said; just about any style, be it traditional oriental or modern, will give a good grounding.  Just be careful in your selection of instructors/dojos.  

Even the more florid/flashy oriental styles generally revert to more simple technique when competing in sport tournaments.  I wonder just what proportion of points scored have been scored with a backfist/reverse punch?  Those & similar basic strikes are bread & butter and generally much more part of muscle memory than the involved technique you learned to make your last rank.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 08:22:38 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
An attempt to provoke a discussion on various unarmed combat techniques, without people going on about mystical martial arts Ki business or how learning how to most efficiently punch people made them a better person. Tongue

Well, you are a better person once you have an additional skill, but you know what I meant.
Gotcha...well just learn how to palm strike/edge of hand a moving target that is hitting you back, kick knees, and enough groundwork to get back onto your feet. Learn how to apply this with EXTREME aggression without going into tunnel vision mode or overshooting your target.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 08:28:49 AM »
When the wind changes, they hoist the Jolly Roger."
I "sailed" under the Jolly Roger...

Cheesy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 11:09:25 AM »
Well, Yoshimi has a black belt in Karate, and it's demanding, to defeat those evil pink robots....
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »
I don't really want to learn a fancy asian martial art. I don't believe in all of the fancy moves and roleplaying type jibber-jabber
I can't speak for other martial arts, as I'm only familiar with Shotokan and Aikido. The 'fancy' kata seem like a waste of time unless you have a knowledgeable instructor who can show you the techniques for a lack of better words, hidden in them. The two martial arts are very closely integrated. Learning the katas and carrying them out with force and precision allows you to learn muscle memory so that you can effectively apply the techniques if ever needed.

Best bet is to learn a few striking and grappling techniques and learn them very well.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 03:29:15 PM »
Blackburn's said he doesn't want to get into the self-improvement aspects or anything else like that.  Well, ok.  But figured to simply lodge a dissenting opinion in the most polite way possible.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 04:15:50 AM »
I guess I can see your point, but for a bit I helped teach at a Kempo Dojo for Fellowship of Christian Athletes that was doing an excellent job of teaching those last three things.  But anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to distract the thread from your original purpose.

I've found hapkido pretty versatile and useful, though judo and traditional TKD help offset the other weaknesses.  Tang Soo Do is also a relatively balanced deal for Korean stuff.  Not too familiar w/ the rest.

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 05:46:03 AM »
honor, dignitiy, and philosophy are one thing; discipline and mutual respect are another. without those, there is no way to train safely.

blackburn, it's really hard to read from your posts who you really are, what you're really after. i can see two possibilities:

a: you're a disrespectful jerk who just wants to fight.

b: you're interested in learning, but simply want something effective, and are skeptical about some of what you see.

if a, i'm done here. if b, then you need to visit schools in your area, ask to observe a class, talk to the instructors about what they teach, why they teach it, and why they teach it the way they do, and then make a decision.

from what you've said, i would suggest boxing and judo schools first.

personally, i study a traditional form of karate, and (along with most of my dojo), brazilian jiujitsu. on the face of it, they're completely different, but the formalities still in bjj are there for a reason: if you don't respect your instructor and he doesn't respect you, you cannot trust each other to be safe; without discipline, you waste half the class and people end up hurt.

the difference between a rear naked choke and attempted murder is intent, and you can't trust someone to stop when you tap if you don't respect them, and know that they respect you.

my karate instructor has a saying: all egos must be checked at the door. without that, it's not worth dressing out.

all this applies to firearms, too - i will not remain on the range if i think the people next to me aren't disciplined enough to follow the safety rules. if they can't show me the respect of keeping their deadly weapons pointed down range, i'm getting the hell out of there.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 08:24:18 AM »
I'm a person who definitely understands the spiritual and moral side of the martial arts. That said, I have no idea why people get up in arms about someone just wanting to learn how to kick someone's ass. They don't exactly lecture about ki and bushido at Thunder Ranch...

Edited to add: That said, I would never, ever, train with someone that I didn't trust. Poor morals makes for a bad training partner.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 09:43:57 AM »
I would categorize it as not so much trusting that your partner is not an ahole and would not intentionally hurt you but more as trusting that your partner has the control, discipline and experience so as to not hurt you UN-intentionally. I learned my lesson about sparring with inexperienced partners. I put the gloves on with a pretty big guy once who, underneath his rough tough exterior was, unknown to me, scared shitless cause he thought I was going to hurt him. Meanwhile, I'm thinking we're just poking a little fun. Well, when we got to it he unleashed everything he had on me. First he pummeled me on the top of the bean with a nice flurry of punches that I tried to duck under. When he let up I stuck a couple playful lefts in his face (thinking he might get the idea and relax) but this only led to yet another savage flurry of blows on my poor bean. Ever get a bloody nose from being hit on TOP of the head? He was throwin' some haymakers alright. shocked  At that point I could tell that this maybe wasn't such a good idea after all and ended the "fight" there having learned something new about sparring. I talked about it with him afterward and I asked, "Why'd you unleash on me like that? We were only supposed to be playing." He said something like, "Geez, I thought you were going to kill me."

Cheesy

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 12:36:07 PM »
bullshido
That sounds more like MY martial art!
D. R. ZINN

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:46 PM »
...Martial Arts aren't about learning honor or respect. They're about learning to hurt people. ...
Be sure to mention this philosophy to the instructor when you meet him.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 12:45:46 PM »
Blackburn is just a Cobra Kai Wink

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 01:06:52 PM »
Quote from: mercedesrules
...Martial Arts aren't about learning honor or respect. They're about learning to hurt people. ...
Be sure to mention this philosophy to the instructor when you meet him.
LMAO...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 03:48:35 PM »
No difference at all. But some of us, or at least I, look upon either in terms of self defense, not "learning to hurt people". An honorable or respectful person does not hurt someone for any other reason. And that is just as fundamental to martial arts training as any knife edge blow or good left hook.