Author Topic: Alternative to Draft  (Read 912 times)

Capteddie

Alternative to Draft
« on: December 03, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »
I started this as a reply to Blackburn's Draft thread, then realized I was wandering pretty far off topic, so I thought I would present it as a seperate topic for discussion...

How about some form of combination service and education....  NOT COMPULSERY, but as an alternative to Colllege for those who can't afford or are not ready on a maturity level for college.

1> Your time would be split between hands on productive work and formal classroom education in your field.

2> For your effort you would recieve food, housing, work uniform and a small amount of disposable income.

3> Your services (work time) would be leased to private industry to help pay for the program.

4> You would be in a supervised environment with a strict code of behavior, any major or consistent violation of which would result in expulsion from the program

5> Education part of the program would take place at a large campus where many different fields are taught, similar to a traditional college, but with a MUCH more structured environment.

6> As the finnal portion of your training you would do an internship, at subsistance wages, for a federal, state, local, or public agency approved by the program.

The program would not even have to be run by the gov't, if an industry could figure out the economics to make it work for them they could run their own program, or it could be done at the state level.  In reality though it would probably have to at least start with the gov't.  Cost would be at least partly offset by reductions in welfare, unemployment, and crime, as well as an increase in the GDP and worker efficiency.

An example:

Aviation:
1> You could enter a program where in, say 6 years, you could earn either a degree in Aeronautical engineering or your commercial pilots license depending on your course of study.

2> During your time in the program you would wear your provided flight suits to work and to school, be fed at a cafateria, and live in a dorm

3> During your work times you may be leased to Boeing, Delta, an electronics company, etc...  or work for the Air Force, NOAA, state police, FEMA, NTSB, etc....  If working for a private corp. they would feed and house you during this portion of your training.

4> You would be required to abide by a strict code of basic conduct and dress determined by the program as well as any requirement mandated by a private corp. you may be leased to.  Any major or recurring violation of these standards would result in expulsion from the program.

5>  You would recieve intensive classroom and other traditional training at a military accademy style campus during your study time.

6> After a period, say 5 years in this case, you would be obligated to work at subsistance wages for the Air Force, NOAA, state police, NTSB, civil air patrol, or the like for a period of one year after which you would recieve your degree or license.

A different example:

Carpentry:

1> Program could be, say 2 years, and would result in a associates degree of some kind or a contractor liscense.

2> 6 months building fed., state, or local infrastructure

Or...

Intrest in cars
1> 2 year program for mechnic certification from manufacturers or 6 year program for automotive engineer

2>  6 months maintaining gov't vehicles or 1 year leased to a manufacturer most of your pay going to fund program

Diving
1> 2 years = comercial diver cert or 6 = marine biology degree

2> 6 months or 1 year working for NOAA, Dept. of Interior, Army Corps of Engineers or leased to private industry

Computers
1> 2 years = technical degree or 6 years = Bachelors Degree or 8 years = Masters or 10 years = PHD

2> work obligation varies according to amount of education recieved.

With some work this type of program could be adjusted to fit most professions.  The numbers and times would obviously require a lot of thought to make it work, but with the effort I think it could be made be self supporting and it would definitely result in a more well round, mature, and produtive work force.

Of course this WOULD NOT BE MANDITORY, but it would likely be a viable and attractive oportunity for many young people.

Unfortunately this would probably never even recieve serious consideration from the gov't because it would reduce people dependence to gov't aid programs and we all know if they don't have that to hold over peoples heads they don't feel safe. Sad

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Alternative to Draft
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 10:04:46 PM »
I think there are many similiar programs out there.  Trade schools, apprenticeships and such.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

MaterDei

• friend
Alternative to Draft
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 02:19:50 AM »
Didn't Clinton come up with something like this?  I think it was (is?) called America Corp or some other such nonsense.  Any plan like this does nothing but expand the scope and expense of the government which is never a good thing.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Alternative to Draft
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:49:54 AM »
Sounds a bit like my 'federal jobs program', which I have replacing welfare and minimum wage in my 'One step closer to an ideal world' vision.

One problem I have is point 4.  Could you please elaborate on 'strict code of basic conduct and dress determined by the program'?  Sounds like something tough enough that you're not going to get many people off the dole for this program.

Besides, let's face it.  There's plenty of education opportunities out there.  The problem with most uneducated people today are 1: Not taking advantage of them, and 2:  Not taking them seriously enough to actually learn from them.

And further, I feel that you'd probably have a hard time 'renting' these people out until they're qualified anyways.  Might as well just subsidize colleges/training schools.

My idea was something almost out of heinlein.  The federal government has to hire any citizen who applies.  The basic needs are taken care of, a minimal stipidend is paid(I'm thinking about half of E-1 pay), and you eventually earn education credits.  You work 40 hours a week.  In return you get:
1.  Housing:  Think barracks, though I suppose a dorm room, or a suite if it's for a famility.  No cooking facilities.
2.  Food:  Cafeteria, open 24-7 for at least cold foods.  Majority of labor comes from people in the system.
3.  Clothing:  Uniforms provided for work, other clothing must be purchased
4.  Medical care:  The cheapest doctors you can find.  (I know this will suck, but hey, if you want better go get a real job).
5.  Education:  Something like each forty hour week earns you credit towards 1 credit hour's worth of school.  Cost doubles for unsuccessfully completed courses, cost reduced for good performance.

Exceptions:  Allow BAH/BAS type living outside, at least for short term, if they can afford it.  That way they don't loose the house that they're living in if they have to enter the program for a few months for whatever reason.

In addition, I'd have people earn flexible credits towards extending benefits once outside employment is found.  Something like 1 flexcredit/hour.  It might cost 40 credits to extend medical coverage a month past their leaving.  40 credits/week for housing/cafeteria privaleges, etc...  Allows them to wean themselves off the system.

What's the work?  Well, I picture alot of maintenence for the compound, child care, cafeteria work, then public works projects, highway cleanups, etc.  I'd authorize bonuses for skilled labor, such as plumbing*, repair work, heck even cook.

*Well, to be honest I have no idea why a plumber would ever have to be in the system, but anyways...