Author Topic: Shady/deceptive/jerky behavior by gun dealers  (Read 1164 times)

Seymour Skinner

Shady/deceptive/jerky behavior by gun dealers
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:59:22 AM »
I personally believe that there aren't NEAR enough gun dealers and that every man should get his FFL whether he plans to open up a store or not (there's the internet and I know people who got their FFL to do low cost/free transfers for friends/family).  Many dealers carry the same stuff as everybody else, and try to gouge you for special orders.  Besides this stuff, I'm curious of what you've seen dealers do that is shady, deceptive, and/or jerky.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 04:38:03 AM »
On the flipside, the pawn shop I use for FFL transfers only charges $10.  They will also order you anything they can get from their distributor at 10% over cost if you pay the shipping.  I don't know why gun shops are so stereotypical.  I guess dealing with people just looking and haggling all day long will do that to you.  Same as car dealerships.

Greg

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 04:44:40 AM »
Quote from: Masterpiece Arms.com
Many dealers carry the same stuff as everybody else, and try to gouge you for special orders.  Besides this stuff, I'm curious of what you've seen dealers do that is shady, deceptive, and/or jerky.
I haven't been the target of any shady dealer tricks yet.  Then again, when I'm ready to buy a gun, I've already researched it as much as possible.  The trip to the shop is mainly to check fit, handle the gun, and make sure it suits me.

My local shop is fantastic though.  They don't charge extra for special orders and even help you deal with the manufacturer for issues related to guns you didn't buy from them.  The worst I can say about them is that their ammo is a bit high.  It's not really an issue for me since I handload nearly everything I shoot.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 06:00:30 AM »
Haven't seen it. Worst I've seen is a dealer who charges $50 for transfers, I asked him if I could get a price break for doing 4 transfers, he gave me an emphatic "no."  Can't say that he's price gouging as that's his business and he can run it the way he chooses, can't say I've ever stepped foot in his gunshop again though either.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 06:49:16 PM »
You don't want to hear about the lowlife @#$%^&! who did a "trigger job" on a Python for me.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.