Author Topic: Gas price side effect; ALERT!!!  (Read 7296 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Gas price side effect; ALERT!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 05:37:46 AM »
Quote from: MW
Unsurprisingly, most of the people caught for repeated drive-offs were coming up from Lawrence, MA, a place that would be improved by bulldozing it.

FTFY
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:47 AM »
So I shouldn't tell people to pay attention to their plates because "everybody" knows about it? Maybe I just know a lot more clueless people than my esteemed APS colleauges. Sis comes to mind.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:26 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 06:52:33 AM »
One of our customers had 65 gallons of diesel(@ $4.75ish/gallon) drained out of her truck as it sat in our (GMC dealership) lot overnight last week.The thieves didn't get the stuff in the trucks' tanks.They drained the aux.tank mounted in the bed.Other (construction) customers are reporting the same kinds of thing.Some are even pulling construction equipment off the job & taking them back to the barn overnight.The extra loss of production is cheaper than the hassle of buying & hauling extra fuel to the job site each day.
It's gonna get a lot worse.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:39 AM »
Depends where you are, I guess.  All of the stations in my neck of the woods allow one to pump first, then pay inside. 

I almost wish somebody would siphon my gas tank, just to see how far they got with the stuff in their vehicle before it seized up.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »
I call BS on the OP.  Gas thieves either cover or remove license plates if they do anything at all.  Just more fodder for the already paranoid.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 11:02:21 AM »
I know an anecdote does not a crime spree make, but we had this exact situation described in the OP happen here in town today.   I work up at a 911 center, and a gas station called in to report a no-pay.  They ran the plates from the vehicle, only to find out that the plates had been reported stolen a couple hours earlier....  And they were taken some time overnight.  Did they steal the plates just to do a no-pay?  who knows.  but they were definitely a factor in this particular crime.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:15 AM »
unless the theives are taking plates from the same make/model and color of the car, i wouldn't worry to much.

i would think that siphoning gas would be easier then running from gas stations. but, then again, i'm not a criminal, so who knows.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »
Gas price side effect; ALERT!!!

The only alert I have is the fact my extra money each month has gotten smaller. $4.04 a gallon here for regular unleaded (87 octane non ethanol), $72.00 is what a fillup is going to cost me. In 2002 it would have cost $22.00.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 11:51:12 AM »

The only alert I have is the fact my extra money each month has gotten smaller. $4.04 a gallon here for regular unleaded (87 octane non ethanol), $72.00 is what a fillup is going to cost me. In 2002 it would have cost $22.00.

If they put those profanity-ticket things from Demolition Man on gas pumps, they'd make a fortune.

Dope

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 11:54:47 AM »
Unsurprisingly, most of the people caught for repeated drive-offs were coming up from Lawrence, MA, a place that would be improved by bulldozing it.

Agreed.

Dope

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »

If they put those profanity-ticket things from Demolition Man on gas pumps, they'd make a fortune.

Shush! Don't give any tax loving nanny controlling liberals any ideas.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »

Shush! Don't give any tax loving nanny controlling liberals any ideas.

True, true...I've just never heard so much.

SUV parks, guy pays, locks pump on, goes in to get a drink. Comes back, looks at total, "HOLY F S F GD F-ING F!" It was like Jay in one of the Jay and Silent Bob movies. I'm surprised the gasoline didn't ignite from the sheer level of profanity. cheesy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
I got my tamper-proof torx set at Home Depot.  Where do you park your jalopy? 
Crackheads and people who think "stealing gas on camera" is a good idea usually aren't bright enough to buy a set, if they even know what they are. Smiley

I knows it.  Just messin' with ya.  Since I got the tools, I might as well look into that for my own rides. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
side note I refuse to put a locking cap on my car.

Personally, I'd rather them just steal the damn gas the easy way then stealing my gas by cutting/ripping the filler neck or punching a hole in my gas tank.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 04:20:14 AM »
SUV parks, guy pays, locks pump on, goes in to get a drink. Comes back, looks at total, "HOLY F S F GD F-ING F!" It was like Jay in one of the Jay and Silent Bob movies. I'm surprised the gasoline didn't ignite from the sheer level of profanity. cheesy

That's another thing you don't want to do today; I've read that 'pump stealing' is on the rise as well.  If you leave your pump, you can expect somebody to pull up, pull the pump out of your vehicle and use it to fill up theirs before putting back in yours.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 04:25:29 AM »

That's another thing you don't want to do today; I've read that 'pump stealing' is on the rise as well.  If you leave your pump, you can expect somebody to pull up, pull the pump out of your vehicle and use it to fill up theirs before putting back in yours.

The hose is not that long. Huh?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 05:03:27 AM »
The hose is not that long. Huh?

When I had my car, the hoses were long enough to stretch to the other side of the car, I didn't need to have the recepticle facing the pump.  Was really useful when there were long lines, as my primary gas station is one way only. 

If nothing else, they're long enough to stretch to the other side of the island, especially if the thief parks close.