Author Topic: Tell me again ...  (Read 1382 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Tell me again ...
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »
Why is Turkey still a part of NATO, and why do we even talk to Erdogan?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/734538/Turkish-president-Erdogan-brands-NATO-soldiers-terrorists

So NATO soldiers are now terrorists? And he wants to make pedophilia legal in Turkey? No wonder my friend's Turkish wife chose to live and work in the U.S.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Tell me again ...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »
Because, reasons....or some such.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »
Because, reasons....or some such.

Because Nukes and Incirlik Air Base.

FTFY.   Although, I would not shed a tear if Turkey quits NATO.  I bet the Greeks would love us to reopen Hellenikon Air Base.  We'd have to knock down some of the abandoned Olympic venues first, to get the runways operational again...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:44:53 PM »
I know the reasons, I still think letting Turkey into NATO was utterly *expletive deleted*ing stupid.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »
I know the reasons, I still think letting Turkey into NATO was utterly *expletive deleted*ing stupid.

Geography, dude.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »
Geography, dude.

Geography?

NATO ... North Atlantic Treaty Organization

My maps and globe must be defective, because I don't see any place named "Turkey" anywhere near the North Atlantic.

:old:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Tell me again ...
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »
Geography, dude.
Was gonna write "geography" but rev set yall strait.  And let us not forget the byzantine political machinations behind turkeys entry into nato.

Also kemalist turkeys explicitly secular govt may have slaughtered a million or two christian greeks and armenians during/post ww1with the help and/or urging of the donmeh, but post ww2 had no fresh example of genocide to make folk in europe sensitive enough to such things to queer the deal.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 09:55:32 PM »
Geography?

NATO ... North Atlantic Treaty Organization

My maps and globe must be defective, because I don't see any place named "Turkey" anywhere near the North Atlantic.

:old:

Because the hippies wouldn't let us call it the Anti-Commie League or Northern Civilized Countries. The name means jack. The purpose essentially to maintain the Allies against the even larger threat that replaced the Nazis. Turkey has always been a basketcase even when it is the most sane/modern of the Islamic countries. Which is usually is, actually. Or was. Whatever.

Turkey controls access to the Black Sea. That alone would make it super important. Before the fall of the Soviet empire, it was the absolute closest 'ally' to Russia. Which made it perfect for forward deployed nuclear weapons. Even better, because of the Black Sea, it was close to Russia while requiring the commies to go around a huge honkin' sea to get at said nukes. Unlike Germany, which had Soviet tanks or tac nukes within literal minutes distance. If Russia decides to go expansionist again, it'll be incredibly critical. If Russia doesn't, it's the land route between the Middle East and Europe, which makes it incredibly critical.

It's a missile, nuke and air base in the exact center between Euros, the Russian sphere and the Middle East. Africa doesn't strategically matter, except for one off situations like the Libyan government folding. I lump in Egypt with the Middle East rather than Africa, culturally it is Middle Eastern even if it happens to be located just over the line into Africa.

Which means Turkey can get away with a lot of stupidity before we kick them out of the big boy club. We do NOT want Russia denying us that kind of strategic advantage.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.