Author Topic: Deady internet projects  (Read 467 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Deady internet projects
« on: July 04, 2022, 08:42:36 AM »
Video popped up in my YT feed this morning about people dying from preforming Fractal Wood Burning Projects they found on the internet
Says ~30 dead in the US alone  :O
So.. yeah
Like I always say, Don't fear electricity, respect it.

The most deadly project on the Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBeSKL9zVro

Fractal Burning Kills; AAW Reiterates the Dangers
https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Resources/Information-/Safety/Lichtenburg-Burning---Fractal-Burning/Woodturner/Resources/Safety-Materials/Safety-Fractal-Burning-Lichtenburg-Burning.aspx?hkey=02ac1815-a0e5-4673-a646-741574ab3a76
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Deady internet projects
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 11:13:14 AM »
One of the problems of being 83 years old and having had twice that many "adventures," is that I usually have an incident related to other peoples' incidents.

I remember describing my experiments on APS with a 10kV oil burner ignition transformerwhen I was a teener:

"Wood, especially live wood, is not a non-conductor at those high voltages.  I had occasion once to watch a 10KV (14,000 peak Voltage)) oil burner ignition transformer start to burn a carbonized trace from a connection to its HV terminal through the seasoned wood bench top toward ground.  I shut it off right quick."
https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=45377.msg924936;topicseen#msg924936

That carbonized trace looked exactly like the "fractal" traces in OP's article.

I didn't mention it in that particular post, but I did get an "educational" shock by touching the trace as it formed on my workbench while touching the transformer body.

I experimented a lot with that transformer, especially for rigging it up for spark photography.

Remember, a "10,000 Volts" rating (or whatever output voltage rating) means a peak voltage 1.414 times that amount.   With a 10kV oil burner ignition transformer, that means peak voltage is actually 14,140 volts.

Terry, 230RN, peaking at 325.27RNs

REF:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 11:28:01 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 11:48:46 AM »
Never observed fractal wood burning myself, but in my younger days I did mess around a bit with a 9KV neon sign transformer. Just did the usual stuff, initially building something simple (a Jacob's Ladder) and ultimately making a good-sized Tesla coil.

Nobody died or was injured - even as a kid, I knew what I was doing well enough not to zap myself.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:03:11 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 03:46:30 PM »
"One hand locked in your belt in back."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.