Author Topic: More fun and frolics with Nobama.  (Read 6261 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
More fun and frolics with Nobama.
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »
When Obama spoke in Dallas, the Secret Service ordered Dallas PD to stop screening people at the doors, for weapons.   

http://www.star-telegram.com/667/story/486413.html

I don't know.  What think ye? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: More fun and frolics with Nobama.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:53:13 AM »
I think the conspiracy nuts on Daily Kos will run with it and make into an OMG IT'S LIKE THE 1960's conspiiiiiiiiracy story.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:59:32 AM »
Make sure to vote in the poll!
I think it was Excellent security!
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

elrod

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:08:24 PM »
Either he's bulletproof, or the Secret Service thinks Clinton is still prez!  police
Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:59:07 PM »
Either he's bulletproof, or the Secret Service thinks Clinton is still prez!/quote]

Or it shows how Dallas PD views the 2A.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »
In past months, I've been relating the racist or just odd-ball remarks I've been hearing about Obama from white folk of my acquaintance.  The one I heard last night just beats them all.  I was at my sister's house for a birthday party, with her husband's grandmother in attendance.  My Dad said something about a political bumper sticker, and I said something about Obama.  Then the old lady chimes in with, "Did you know, he's a half-breed?" 

undecided   sad    shocked    undecided   angry    smiley    undecided

All I could do was squeeze my eyes shut and pray that the conversation would move on to something else.  Or else I was probably going to lose control of my mouth.   rolleyes  Thank God, someone changed the subject.

doc2rn

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »
And then Nader decides to throw his hat in the ring now that Hillary is sinking. Coincident? I think not. Now it is Obama vs. Nader.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »
oops, double post..
Hi.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
When Obama spoke in Dallas, the Secret Service ordered Dallas PD to stop screening people at the doors, for weapons.   

http://www.star-telegram.com/667/story/486413.html

I don't know.  What think ye?

I think I have my tin foil hat on too tight. Because the very first thing to come into my head was, "If someone were paid to get in with a weapon, and were caught, it gives Obama a media fueled reason to get back on the topic of banning guns"....
Hi.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »
In past months, I've been relating the racist or just odd-ball remarks I've been hearing about Obama from white folk of my acquaintance.  The one I heard last night just beats them all.  I was at my sister's house for a birthday party, with her husband's grandmother in attendance.  My Dad said something about a political bumper sticker, and I said something about Obama.  Then the old lady chimes in with, "Did you know, he's a half-breed?" 

All I could do was squeeze my eyes shut and pray that the conversation would move on to something else.  Or else I was probably going to lose control of my mouth.   rolleyes  Thank God, someone changed the subject.
I understand your discomfiture, but he is 1/2 white, 1/2 African black, making the statement true.

I am a traditionalist who appreciates the, uh, diversity of the English language, so I would use the term mulatto, rather than "half-breed."  Mulatto also has the quality of being more precise with regard to Obama.  A half-breed could be half of anything. 

On the broader point, I don't apply up-to-the-second PC guidelines on elder folks.  Like I wrote, I understand your uneasiness, but just what would you say to such words coming from elders?  The speaker has the advantage of superiority of fact, if not tact.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:33:38 AM »

I understand your discomfiture, but he is 1/2 white, 1/2 African black, making the statement true.

I am a traditionalist who appreciates the, uh, diversity of the English language, so I would use the term mulatto, rather than "half-breed."  Mulatto also has the quality of being more precise with regard to Obama.  A half-breed could be half of anything. 

On the broader point, I don't apply up-to-the-second PC guidelines on elder folks.  Like I wrote, I understand your uneasiness, but just what would you say to such words coming from elders?  The speaker has the advantage of superiority of fact, if not tact.
  Actually Mulatto is just saying half black and half white.  I think it is the use of the word "breed" that is offensive.  It kind of makes it seem as if those of another race are a lower species and denigrates them to animal status.  At least in my opinion.

Either way I would just bite my tongue and ignore these people.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
He is a half-breed:  1/2 empty rhetoric, and 1/2 nanny-statism.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
He is a half-breed:  1/2 empty rhetoric, and 1/2 nanny-statism.

-BP
1/2 Bull, 1/2 *expletive deleted*it

I love it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
I would just bite my tongue and ignore these people.

Yeah, that's what I did. 

The term "half-breed" doesn't bother me.  What annoyed me was that, apparently, this person found his heritage to be a scandal, and the most salient fact about him.  That sort of attitude can really get under my skin, and I could feel myself getting ready to chew her out in a way that would have really ruined the evening for all. 

Actually Mulatto is just saying half black and half white.  I think it is the use of the word "breed" that is offensive.  It kind of makes it seem as if those of another race are a lower species and denigrates them to animal status.

I think that's the common point of view.  But if you think about it, it's quite backwards.  "Mulatto" came from the Spanish word for the mule, an animal that is half-horse and half-donkey.*  When they began referring to mixed-race people as "mulatto," they were calling them mules.  There's your animal status.  Although this term seems to be acceptable today, it is truly very offensive. 

Meanwhile, the perfectly good and honorable term, "Negro," (a Latin word meaning black) is often considered an insult.  "Half-breed" should be no cause for offense, either.  In fact, it is quite a compliment to say that a person has "good breeding," meaning that their family has high social status. 

*Yes, you could say that mules are half-assed.  But since I come from a state that was known for mule breeding...  smiley

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
I've noticed Obama seems to be getting caught up in his messiahness.  Early on, he had the appearance of being humble and thinking about what he was going to say before saying it.  Now he is beginning to sound like a tent service Baptist minister; he even has them passing out.  I wonder when he's going to start laying on hands.  I can't wait for November.  I think the next few years are going to be really interesting.  If he wins, he'll wind up being a pariah not a messiah to his own party, methinks.

I wonder how McCain will be able to stand up to Obama's charisma in a debate.  McCain needs to be very careful about who becomes his running mate and I hope he has surrounded himself with some smart folks.  If he has the run of the mill egg heads (Bush's advisors) who have no connection with reality, he'll be buried.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 08:51:04 AM »
Either he's bulletproof, or the Secret Service thinks Clinton is still prez!/quote]

Or it shows how Dallas PD views the 2A.

That's kind of my thoughts on the whole thing, too.
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 12:25:01 PM »
Best statement I saw from someone today:

"In the next and likely final debate, an increasingly desperate Hillary will shed her skin, reveal she is really a giant reptile, and eat Obama."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
Best statement I saw from someone today:

"In the next and likely final debate, an increasingly desperate Hillary will shed her skin, reveal she is really a giant reptile, and eat Obama."

It's possible......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.