Author Topic: What caliber for mice?  (Read 3274 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
What caliber for mice?
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:40:28 AM »
Woman Shoots Herself While Trying to Kill Mice
POTTER VALLEY, Calif.   A Mendocino County woman who was trying to kill mice in her trailer with a gun ended up shooting herself and another person.

The 43-year-old woman pulled out her .44-caliber Magnum revolver after she saw the mice scurrying across the floor of her trailer on Highway 20 in Potter Valley, sheriff's officials said.

But she accidentally dropped the gun, which went off as it struck the floor. The bullet went through the woman's kneecap, bounced off the keys sitting on the belt loop of a 42-year-old man in the trailer and grazed the man's groin before ending up in his coin pocket.

Authorities did not release the shooting victims' names.

The mice escaped the shooting unharmed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378142,00.html
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: What caliber for mice?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:42:09 AM »
Should have used a mousegun.

And what sort of .44 mag doesn't have a transfer bar?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
I figured she had it cocked when she dropped it. 

Use the right tool for the job.  A cheap straw broom would have been better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:47:31 AM »
Remember a time my uncle pop an mouse in the house with a bb gun.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:48:52 AM »
Some sort of squeaker round.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 06:51:35 AM »
.27 wildcat round  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »
To stay serious, werent .22 BB/CB caps developed partly for use in indoor hunting?
Also, there's always 6mm Flobert. I'd like one of those laugh.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:15:53 AM »
On TV in central Iowa circa 1977 they were running a commercial that began with gunfire, and a mouse dodging the gunfire, as splinters flew around him before he darted into a hole in the wall.

Camera panned back, and there's Slim Pickins holding a smoking Peacemaker and saying something along the lines of "Now that I'm gettin' along in years, I have a harder time hittin' them varmints like I used to . . . that's why I use D-CON Mouse Poison."

Funny thing is, at the time we saw the commercial, my Dad, some of our buddies, and I were in a hunting cabin that DID have a mouse problem!

.22 handguns with #12 birdshot worked . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »

A pre-lock S&W.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »
Did they have those in 44 mag?  Or is it just that the article got the caliber wrong?  That can't be the case though.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »
A pre-lock S&W.

Wrong. Smith & Wesson revolvers have had transfer bars for decades. They don't go bang when dropped, unless, of course, Bubba has been doing a little kitchen table gunsmithing.

99.999% of the time, "I dropped it and it went bang" is a lie.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
She probably tried to grab it when it fell and yanked the trigger.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »
Remember a time my uncle pop an mouse in the house with a bb gun.

My daddy kilt one that-a-way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
There was (is?) a summer cow camp in Colorado made of logs, with a sleeping loft above.  Someone in their inestimable wisdom had put in a ceiling of masonite to cover the beams beneath the 2nd floor planking.

As nature would have it, mice found the space between the ceiling and the floor to be a comfortable habitat.

There were bullet holes in the ceiling.  One of the cowboys told me that some sojourners at the cabin would shoot at the mice with their pistols, aiming at the sound of little feet scurrying on the top of the ceiling.

It was hard to get to sleep upstairs while that was going on  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:42:13 PM »
What a comedy/tragedy of errors.
I prefer a quieter and more ecologically sound method to solving my mice problems...
Snakes.  grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 07:27:58 AM »
What a comedy/tragedy of errors.
I prefer a quieter and more ecologically sound method to solving my mice problems...
Snakes.  grin

Do your snakes sleep at the foot of your bed, and purr when you pet them ?