Author Topic: Who are these people?  (Read 3256 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Who are these people?
« on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »
Please stay tuned for the disclaimers at the end of this post.

One of these guys running for president is somebody I don't like too much.  Despite my disagreements with him, however, he has spent more than twenty years in the U.S. Senate.  Prior to that, he had what appears to be an exemplary record of service and sacrifice in the military.  One would think the Democratic Party candidate would be at least comparable in experience and accomplishments, even if one would also expect the Democratic Party to nominate that individual most devoted to the party's platform of All Evil, All the Time. 

But what do they offer us?  A travesty of a Senator who is only there on her husband's coat-tails, and managed to rack up a comparatively meager eight years of experience.  Prior to that, she was a lawyer, governor's wife and First Lady.  Other than the qualification of having the kind of speaking voice for which earplugs must have been invented, one wonders why anyone thinks that she ought to be in the White House.   

What's that you say?  The party has rejected her in favor of someone named Obama?  Surely they chose someone who had all the experience and accomplishments that she lacked.  Apparently not.  To face off against a war hero and seasoned Senator (or even against the former governors who may have gotten the Rep. nomination), they went with the hip, fresh-faced, young Black guy with the exotic name.  Never mind that he's done nothing in his short life, other than stumble into the Senate and then start running for the Oval Office.  Oh, sure, he was president of the Harvard Law Review.  And other than the lawyers, who really cares? 

So who are these people?  Like I said, I don't like McCain all that much.  But what do these other jokers even think they're doing, running against a guy like him?

Disclaimer 1.  Yeah, I know that experience is not the only quality to consider in a President, and some prefer an "outsider."  Even so, Hillary is anything but an outsider.  And how else did Obama shoot to the top so quickly, except that the "inside" liked him?

Disclaimer 2.  No, I'm not saying that McCain's experience and military record excuses his politics. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Who are these people?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
American Democrat Voter 1: Change! *blank-eyed look*

American Democrat Voter 2: "Well, Obama represents...Hey, American Idol's on!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:11:21 PM »
Just to go by their records, I'd have to say we're looking at nobody versus nobody versus nobody.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »
If McCain is a nobody, then are there any somebodies?  Come on, now. 

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
I think you are underestimating the importance of this factor:

Disclaimer 1.  Yeah, I know that experience is not the only quality to consider in a President, and some prefer an "outsider."  Even so, Hillary is anything but an outsider.  And how else did Obama shoot to the top so quickly, except that the "inside" liked him?

The problem is that people are so unhappy with Washington that "experience" in making Washington what is today is more of an indictment than a resume builder.  Hence, they are gravitating towards the guy who has a relatively short rap sheet-and his charisma doesn't hurt either. 

Presidential campaigns have been primarily an excercise in brand recognition and product marketing since I have been alive, and Obama has an enormous advantage on those fronts because of his rally-leading and speaking talent.  When there is in reality little-to-no policy debate on any side of the campaign, it is natural that these things will tend to give a boost to a candidate, as silly as it is.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
Of what you say I am painfully aware. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:28:23 PM »

Fixed it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »
Prior to that, he had what appears to be an exemplary record of service and sacrifice in the military.

How does one's military record makes one better, or more qualified, to serve as President?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »
Shouldn't make a difference.

However the Democrats made a big deal out of Bush's lack of military experience when running against Kerry.

Now we have a Republican with great experience and two Democrats with zero.  So of course there will be a double standard.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LAK

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35:54 AM »
So who are these people?
Oh dear; another one for which the usual acceptence of what is shoved in front of them is not quite good enough anymore.

Who are they? Well both Clintons - and the current family name in the WH - go back alot further than G H W Bush's showcased bedside chat's with William Clinton. They have had common business and assistance with such people as the late Pamela Harriman, and her family going back to the 1930s.

As the old saying goes; it's not who you are - it is who you know. The rest is all for show.

-------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org 

mek42

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 02:49:18 AM »

Fixed it.

QFT.  Sad.

You know, I've often desired more than two viable parties so that Party A and Party C would work together on issue Y, but then Party A and Party D would work together on issue Z.  You've just totally squashed even the vestigial remnant of this dream.  It seems like the average American voter doesn't even care enough to think about two parties.  More than that would likely confuse them further and just not work.  Sad.  Poor Thomas Jefferson - a few more years of this voter apathy and the Eastern seaboard will fall into the ocean from him turning in his grave.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »
Shouldn't make a difference.

However the Democrats made a big deal out of Bush's lack of military experience when running against Kerry.

Now we have a Republican with great experience and two Democrats with zero.  So of course there will be a double standard.

How do you figure? The way I see it there are NO STANDARDS. The only given is that no matter which talking head is chosen, more government will ALWAYS be the solution to every problem. Because of this, no problem will ever be solved but every problem will be overmanaged to death.