Author Topic: Report Says Hackers Target Macs  (Read 1788 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Report Says Hackers Target Macs
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:22:14 AM »
It was only a matter of time. 
http://www.ktrh.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104774&article=3014515
It was from a news radio web site.  The headline caught my eye.
Report Says Hackers Target Macs

The rising security threat could hurt Apple, which has long touted the security advantages of its platform.
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Experience more news: Video | Photos

United Press International

Apple Inc.'s Macintosh personal computers increasingly are being targeted by malicious computer hackers, a European computer security irm said.

Over the past two years, we had found one or two pieces of malware targeting Macs, said Patrik Runald, a security researcher in the San Jose, Calif., office of F-Secure Corp. in Helsinki, Finland. Since October, we've found 100-150 variants.

The rising security threat could hurt Apple, which has long touted the security advantages of its platform over those of Microsoft Corp., whose software is a perennial hacker target, The Financial Times reported.

Also targeted are Apple's iTunes digital media players and iPhone Web-enabled multimedia cell phones, F-Secure said in a report.

Unlocking iPhone security controls, an increasingly popular activity, adds to the phones' vulnerability, the report said.

Apple would not discuss any steps it was taking to counter the growing number of attacks, The Financial Times said.

But Apple said, We take security very seriously and have a great track record for addressing vulnerabilities before they can affect users.

Photo Copyright Getty Images

? YellowBrix, Inc. Copyright 1997-2007

Copyright ? 2003-2007 Clear Channel. All rights reserved
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Report Says Hackers Target Macs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:23:58 AM »
The only things that have surfaced so far are executables that someone has to be a fool to:

1. Run, and,
2. Give administrator permission for system changes

If someone does that, they deserve it.

That's what those "one or two" were, in fact. Versus how many thousands of Windows exploits, dozens that run in the background every week?

The rest of the "mac threats" are purely hypothetical. In fact, the only thing that actually opened up an OS vulnerability was Symantec's Norton product.

And you know, F-secure sells a product. I think their report is maybe trying to sell that product? Wink

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:08 AM »
You just described most of the BS that PC computers have to watch for.  My company has blocked internet email use on the company network due to idiots opening up bad attachments. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 10:22:06 AM »
In fact, the only thing that actually opened up an OS vulnerability was Symantec's Norton product.

I pulled the plug on Norton Utilities for Macintosh when it sold so-called "version 7" that was actually a very slight upgrade to version 6, and so noted in the version numbering scheme.

Flagrant dishonesty is stupid, and I don't do business with liars or dummies.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

member1313

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 10:26:02 AM »
Why are hackers going after Mac 10s? They aren't that good, are they?

On a serious note: I hate Macs. Well, not so much the computers as the keyboards. I can't use those damn things.

Zeke

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »
Um...Macs can use any USB keyboard these days.

As for security via obscurity, it's a myth.  The new Mac OS (OS X) is certified as a version of Unix.  Unix has permissions on every file that determine who can read it, execute it, or modify it.  If you're not that user you're out of luck.  Break into a windows system and you have the run of the place.  Break into a Unix (or Mac) system and you find yourself in a foyer with every interior door locked.

There presently is not, and never has been, a self-replicating virus in the wild that runs on Macs.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 06:40:47 PM »
There presently is not, and never has been, a self-replicating virus in the wild that runs on Macs.
True, but there aren't many useful apps that run on Macs either.

Tongue

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:39:55 PM »
*Gives Headless Thompson Gunner a high-five*  grin

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »
deleted

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »
True, but there aren't many useful apps that run on Macs either.

Tongue

Like...uh...Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint? Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash?

What's a "useful" app, praytell? Because every front office app out there is identical on Macs and PCs now, and has been for coming up on a decade.

Oh, yeah, and since I have Parallels, I can run Windows apps within OSX on the Intel core duo.

So what can't they run? Name some names.