Author Topic: Anyone have an idea on what new trucks are going out the door for?  (Read 7607 times)

wooderson

• friend
I've been pricing full-size V8 trucks online - Nissan, Ford, et al. - and can't seem to build anything that MSRPs out under $25k-26k. (slightly above bare-bones - work truck, only transportation, potential home when I go broke, etc..)

Understanding that it all depends on bargaining and region and all - any chance that equates to less than $20k in the real world?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Re: Anyone have an idea on what new trucks are going out the door for?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:29:34 AM »
I'll answer your question with some questions.

1). Does it really need to be a new truck?
2). Does it really need to be full-size?
3). Does it really need to be a V8?
4). Do you want 4-wheel drive?
5). Do you want manual or automatic?
6). Does it really need to be a new truck?

I think $20,000 is probably going to be cutting it close for a 2008 full-size truck with a V8. What's out there? Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tundra, Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra, and Nissan Titan?

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
One of my customers told me he bought a new, bare-bones 2WD Chevy for just under 18K.  Said it had the small V8, AC, and power windows.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 07:31:30 AM »
I never buy new. I like to buy something less than 2 years old, with no more than 25 to 30K on it. Then only if it comes with a good warranty. I can get a lot more vehicle for a lot less money that way. With vehicles lasting 200K (unless you're A.J. keeping cars for a scrillion miles grin) regularly with proper care, starting with 20 or 30K on it is really not much of a disadvantage.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 01:36:44 PM »
Look around for trucks that have been sitting on the lot for a while, you can find some decent discounts on trucks that arent moving.

A few months back, a big dealer by me had model year end sales on barebone work trucks that had to get off the lot, a little over $14000 for the V6 2WD models, full size.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »
forgot the specifics - pricing a 2WD, plain cab, automatic, V8 (only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is the V6 in my current truck doesn't like to drive as fast as I do and I've got a ton of highway miles coming up). One extra I want are power mirrors, I'm tired of having to get out and adjust/re-adjust every time someone bumps my passenger mirror in a parking lot.

Will probably also look at a recent used model if I get serious. I bought the current F-150 w/ 28k on the clock and it's been a good vehicle through 135k.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »
Well, the weekend paper is sitting here, so I decided I'd flip through it and see what's being advertised for around $20,000 from dealerships. New and used. I'll provide as much information as they list. If there is too little information I'll exclude it, even if I think it fits the bill. Skimming through, there are several that don't provide much information. Due to space constraints, probably.

- 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.7L V8 Hemi Auto 23K for under $16,000
- 2003 Ford F-250 4X4 V10 Auto for under $18,000
- 2004 Chevy Silverado 4X4 4.8L V8 Auto for under $16,000
- 2004 Ford F-350 4X4 V10 Auto for under $20,000
- 2005 GMC 1500 4X4 5.3L V8 Auto for under $22,000
- 2005 Ford F-150 4X4 4.6L V8 Auto for under $20,000
- 2006 Ford F-150 4X4 V8 Auto for under $22,000
- 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4 4.8L V8 Auto for under $22,000
- 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4X4 V8 Auto for under $23,000
- 2007 Chevy Silverado 4X4 V8 Auto for under $22,000
- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 4.7L V8 Auto 23K for under $22,000
- 2008 Chevy Silverado 4X4 V8 Auto for under $23,000
- 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 5.3L V8 Auto for under $22,000
- 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4X4 6L V8 Auto for under $23,000
- 2008 Ford F-250 4X4 5.4L V8 Auto for under $21,000

Didn't see any 2-wheel drive pickups with a V8. I figured if you like speed and handling you wont mind a 4X4 anyway. All of them have full or almost full power options, including touches like power mirrors.

Tomorrow I can check the classifieds and compare the difference in pricing.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:41:05 AM »
Will probably also look at a recent used model if I get serious. I bought the current F-150 w/ 28k on the clock and it's been a good vehicle through 135k.

Only 135K Huh? 

Then why are you looking for another pickup ...?  ( oh yeah - it's a Ford  rolleyes )

Our 1991 GMC had more miles than that when we bought it in 2001.  It's still going. Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 06:44:41 AM »
Check out Cars.com. Thats where I found my wife's 2006 Honda. It's a real good site for researching vehicle purchases, especially if you are looking for dealers and warranties.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »
only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is the V6 in my current truck doesn't like to drive as fast as I do and I've got a ton of highway miles coming up

How fast do you plan on going?  GM Trucks are governed at about 97, and a V6 should do that easy.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 07:51:05 AM »
It's not the height of the summit, it's how fast you get there.

(Within reason. Smallest V8, no Ford Lightning, no Hemis, etc..)

auschip

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 08:03:36 AM »
If you want a new truck, it's all in how well you negotiate.  My truck is almost 2 years old now, but I bought it new.  Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi engine, SLT with added CD player, sun roof, power rear window, Limited Slip (didn't see the need for 4x4), and all the power stuff included with the SLT package was stickered at $39.5k.  I had them add leather (3rd party), and it cost me $24.6K out the door. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:31:52 AM »
I'd stay away from Dodge.

My 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 has the 4.8L engine, and it has plenty of power. It definitly feels like it has more power than the 4.6L from Ford.

The 4.3L engine is an excellent engine, but I wanted the small V-8. I also prefer an extended cab, for the storage space and passenger carrying ablility. My is equipped almost exactly like I wanted it- cloth interior, extended cab, power mirrors, manual seats, power windows and locks. The interior is dark grey, exterior is fire engine red. It looks badass. 

I don't like leather, power or heated seats, or sun roofs- they leak eventually.

GM Trucks are governed at about 97

I didn't know that- our '99 Suburban will do over 120- a light comes on the dashboard and the speedometer drops to zero and starts counting up again. Dad says the ride gets better the faster it goes=D

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 08:55:54 AM »
I picked up a Ford F-150 FX4 edition in June.  Its the 4 door series with the 5 ft bed. I'd rather have a 6' but the extra room in the cab is a better trade off.  Leather interior, center console and fold up rear seats gives me plenty of room.

Sticker was $36,000 but I drove it out the door for $26,000.  With my dad being retired Ford I got it on Z-plan.  That discount and my trade in gave me the $10,000 off.  I love the truck.  Plenty of room, great both on and off road and plenty powerful.

I towed a 1970 Cougar on a trailer from Tucson, Arizona to Maryland with no problem whatsoever.  Pulled plenty hard going up mountains in WVA ect with power to spare.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 12:31:57 PM »
I didn't know that- our '99 Suburban will do over 120- a light comes on the dashboard and the speedometer drops to zero and starts counting up again. Dad says the ride gets better the faster it goes=D

Hmmm....

I know for a fact that the Blazers are.  I know that my buddies 96ish Tahoe is, as well as another buddies late 90's 1500,but maybe all their trucks aren't.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
That discount and my trade in gave me the $10,000 off. 

angry  Dealers are always wanting you to trade in something.

Apparently, they don't want you to know how much they are overcharging you, so they make you think they are giving you a wonderful allowance on your old wreck.  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »
Couldn't tell you if my Sonoma is governed, never been there.

Not that I've tried, it just can't do much over 90mph Smiley

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »
Hokay, quick reply without reading the others....

Back in the fall, I priced all new 2007 (except Toyota) 4 door 1/2 ton pickups.

I could get the big 3 American pickups for around or $20K.  If I went with the commercial/fleet/work version I could get it for a mite less.  They LISTED for over $30K.  Yeah, big rebates.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 04:50:36 PM »
only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is the V6 in my current truck doesn't like to drive as fast as I do and I've got a ton of highway miles coming up

How fast do you plan on going?  GM Trucks are governed at about 97, and a V6 should do that easy.
Yep.  My 2004 Silverado will get to 97 real quick.  After that, the turbo just basically shuts down.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »

Hmmm....

I know for a fact that the Blazers are.  I know that my buddies 96ish Tahoe is, as well as another buddies late 90's 1500,but maybe all their trucks aren't.

I have 98 Jimmy and I've been up near the 110 mark. Rides like a half full liquid manure truck once it gets over 95 mph.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 05:25:40 PM »
Anybody who drives a pickup truck over 90 mph deserves whatever happens to him.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 06:20:24 PM »
I have 98 Jimmy and I've been up near the 110 mark. Rides like a half full liquid manure truck once it gets over 95 mph.

WTF!

Every GM truck I have listed above, at 97MPH just cuts power to the engine.  Why can't mine go faster!

But anyways, ignore my restriction response.  And having had said trucks at 97MPH, It isn't somethign I would recommend anyways.  Heck, having trucks above 80 isn't something I'd advocate.

GeoJAP

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »
I just sold my Toyota Tundra to buy a Toyota Matrix (32 mpg).  I will not be wanting the Tundra when gas gets to $5-6/gallon in the next few years.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »
Anybody who drives a pickup truck over 90 mph deserves whatever happens to him.

Well, Riley, that's a remarkably nice and well thought-out post of yours.  (Not.)  angry

Lack of tolerance notwithstanding, there's more than a few Ford F-150 Lightning, Chevy SS 454, S-10 Extreme/ZQ8, and GMC Syclone owners who would wonder about that statement.

Back to the thread topic, I'd look into fleet sales, too.  Remember the Chevy W/T "Work Truck" series?

I bought my current pickup through a local dealership's GSA fleet program.  They ordered extra units for the base because they thought the Air Force would wreck one or two in the course of the year. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »
The sheriff of the next county drives an extended cab Chevy pickup.

One night on the radio, I heard him call in and say that somebody was running on him.  He was doing 135 and couldn't catch them.  This was on a winding 2 lane highway. shocked

The car being pursued tried to make a turn onto a side road and spun out a couple miles down the road.  laugh