Author Topic: What's military life like?  (Read 10455 times)

member1313

What's military life like?
« on: November 29, 2007, 05:58:49 AM »
I've been seriously joining the US armed forces for a while now, and wanted to get some feedback.

Ever since I was a kid, my grandfather's stories of the South Pacific during WWII got me interested. He never told me the "bad" stories; only the funny ones, or ones with a good moral in the end. (Upon reading his war journal, I get to read the "bad" ones.)

Unfortunately, I really don't know what to expect. I think that movies have given me the wrong idea about the military, in that I can't see a Drill Sgt. constantly yelling, screaming, and berating everyone. I expect training to be difficult, but some of the stuff I see in movies has to be crap.

My grandfather passes a few years ago, and the only person I personally know is in Iraq, and has no time to talk to me, so this leaves me with the only outlet I have available: the internet.

Have you served? (If so, thank you!) What was training like? What was your usual week or day like? When did you get time off? Was the training really hard or did it get progressively harder?

I don't know; this is a very open, and general topic. I'm just looking for responses. Whether it's a story about serving, advice about joining, etc., I'll read it.

esheato

• friend
Re: What's military life like?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:52:03 AM »
I'm USAF...my experience is probably much more simple than the rest. 

Basic training was cake (PT 4-5 times a week, lots of educational classes...mostly learning how to take orders).  Technical training was ehh...trivial. Keep in mind this was 11 years ago also. Things are quite different now.

The big thing to remember about training is that it's temporary. It's a couple months of crap that will eventually end. And the drill instructors (or whatever new feel good term the USAF is using now) are just doing their job.

The first few years of service can be fairly strict with limits on what you can/can't do. The last few years my job has been like any other civilian job. I go to work M-F, 730-430. Only difference is that I don't have to decide what I'm wearing in the morning.

I can say I've met some truly awesome people. Friends I'll have for life...friends that I can call on for anything, anytime. I've also met some real losers. I know this because I've had to supervise them.  police

The military says that you get to see the world....and you do. Of course, they don't tell you it's the worst places in the world. I've spent much more time in FRY (Bosnia, Yugo) and the desert (read Kuwait and Iraq) than I have in Germany, England or western Europe "seeing the world."

All in all, I wouldn't trade the experience. I have a really unique job and a pretty big set of responsibilities. A job that I couldn't just walk into without the military background and training. The pay can always be better, but I'll get my dues after I retire. My job pays quite well on the outside.

USMC and Army are a different world. I see the Army (no offense intended) rolling around in the dirt, driving hummers, and wearing battle rattle everywhere. ...ehh, not my cup of tea but I'm certainly glad they're out there.

Ed

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:59:19 AM »
Sometimes Art truely does imitate life.  I was in the Marines.  I can tell you that Full Metal Jacket is a very good depiction of what Marine Bootcamp was like.  
Forget about basic training/bootcamp.  Its the process in which they intend to mold you into a member of that branch of the military.  Not much can prepare a true civilian for the culture shock.  Do what your told.  Do it fast.  Do it right.  Don't think too much into anything.  Keep your mouth shut unless appropriate.  Its that simple.
Military life itself is a different world.  Firstly, you're treated alot different than in boot camp.  However, nobody for a minute is going to forget that you're fresh out of boot.  You will be expected to think for yourself enough to stay out of trouble.  You will be expected to learn your skill set and do your job.  If you feel motivated enough, be a go getter.  Work on the things that will get you promoted, without kissing ass.  Do what your'e told, do it fast, and don't bitch too much about it.
Your life will be structured around your job first.  After that, you'll get time off as appropriate.  I was in the airwing of the Marines, as an Air Traffic Controller.  My free time was my free time, as long as met my fit for duty requirements.  Some branches or commands will not be as lenient with your personal time.  You may be expected to stay on base during the week, or request permission to leave the base on weekends.  This is especially true for duty stations outside the CONUS.
Your first step should be taking the Asvab, and deciding on the branch of service you wish to join.  Obviously I'm partial to the Marines.  It is a true Warrior Culture that will prepare you for modern warfare like no other branch.  The principles you will be taught will change your outlook on life in general.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

member1313

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:05:03 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Smiley

No offense to anyone at all, but I don't intend to join the Marines, in the event I do join up.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the other three branches.

I do have some concerns I'd like some feedback on:

1. I have some college education. Does this help me or hurt me in any way? I haven't yet completed my bachelor's, but should in a little over one year.

2. I'm overweight. I don't want to be the fat guy that can't complete basic training. I intend to work on this before I ever enlist, but will weight be an issue in training? (I assume I'd lose some of it through training, anyhow.)

3. My personality. I'm quiet, reserved, and introverted. I hate to sound like a wuss, but I've always been apprehensive about new experiences. It's a stupid question, but would I get ripped apart by my peers or commanding officers? Smiley (Wait... Sad)

4. I've never fired a gun in my entire life. Would this present a problem in training? (I assume you're taught what you need to know, but does a lack of prior experience present any problems?)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »
Rob, depends on what area your baccalaureate degree is in. Sometimes, it may not be worth much except for rank/rate. A two year degree will get you E-3 off the bat for most services. A four year degree MIGHT get you into an officer's program, MAYBE. I was USN for 20 years and never regretted it. Being overweight could pose a problem. That all hinges on just how much overweight you are. A good weight loss program might be in order and I wouldn't wait too long to start it. A Recruiter could tell you just how overweight you are (or you could look it up online). The military DOES use a secondary standard for those that don't meet the height/weight chart standards and that is body fat percentage. It'd be best to see a recruiter to determine whether or not you fit into that category. You WILL lose weight during boot camp/ basic training. Boot camp/ Basic training is pretty much what others have said. A quiet, reserved personality might actually work to your benefit there. As far as guns go, whatever service you choose will teach you what you need to know. Guns weren't a very big part of Navy boot camp when I went through. (I think we spent a couple of hours classroom and another couple of hours at the range).  I suppose my question would be is what branch ARE you considering??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:25:39 AM »
Rob, depends on what area your baccalaureate degree is in. Sometimes, it may not be worth much except for rank/rate. A two year degree will get you E-3 off the bat for most services. A four year degree MIGHT get you into an officer's program, MAYBE. I was USN for 20 years and never regretted it. Being overweight could pose a problem. That all hinges on just how much overweight you are. A good weight loss program might be in order and I wouldn't wait too long to start it. A Recruiter could tell you just how overweight you are (or you could look it up online). The military DOES use a secondary standard for those that don't meet the height/weight chart standards and that is body fat percentage. It'd be best to see a recruiter to determine whether or not you fit into that category. You WILL lose weight during boot camp/ basic training. Boot camp/ Basic training is pretty much what others have said. A quiet, reserved personality might actually work to your benefit there. As far as guns go, whatever service you choose will teach you what you need to know. Guns weren't a very big part of Navy boot camp when I went through. (I think we spent a couple of hours classroom and another couple of hours at the range).  I suppose my question would be is what branch ARE you considering??

Can't add much to that.  Get on that weight loss now.  Even if you decide not to join the military, you're awful young to be overweight, and will be suffering for it down the road.  Trust me.
The only branches you're going to shoot much in are the Army or Marines.  In the Navy/AF/CG you might do a very, very basic qualification, otherwise you won't see or handle a firearm a whole lot unless its part of your job (MP's, armory, etc). 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:39:54 AM »
First off, I'm Army, so I can't really speak for ay of the other (lesser) branches.  grin

1. I have some college education. Does this help me or hurt me in any way? I haven't yet completed my bachelor's, but should in a little over one year.
It will help. You can get up to E3 right off the bat assuming that you have enough credits, and E4 with a bachelors. My three semesters of college certainly haven't hurt me. It will put you a little above the 17-year-olds next to you.

2. I'm overweight. I don't want to be the fat guy that can't complete basic training. I intend to work on this before I ever enlist, but will weight be an issue in training? (I assume I'd lose some of it through training, anyhow.)
It depends on how much your weight hurts your physical performance. As long as you can meet the minimum standard, the DSs won't care. Once you get into the regular Army, PT scores are very important (of course different MOSs will be different). It will affect your promotions, what schools you can go to, etc. But it is always something that can be improved. Assuming that you meet the entry requirements for height/weight and push yourself hard, you should be fine.

3. My personality. I'm quiet, reserved, and introverted. I hate to sound like a wuss, but I've always been apprehensive about new experiences. It's a stupid question, but would I get ripped apart by my peers or commanding officers?
'Quiet, reserved, and introverted' describes me perfectly. You won't get ripped apart. Just don't hide in a hole or be a barracks rat, that's all. You don't have to be everybody's friend or the platoon daredevil to get along in the military.

4. I've never fired a gun in my entire life. Would this present a problem in training? (I assume you're taught what you need to know, but does a lack of prior experience present any problems?)
Prior experience is certainly good, but not necessary. The military caters it's training to the lowest common denominator. There were several guys in my basic platoon who had never fired a weapon before, and they all shot fine by the end.

To be honest, Basic (OSUT for me) is rather short in the long run. It's even kinda fun after you get over the culture shock and learn enough to know how to stay out of trouble. While there, your goal is to blend in. Never be first or last. That changes once you graduate, but overachievers just buy themselves unwanted attention in Basic.

Once you get to your unit, stay long enough that you are no longer considered a 'cherry', and prove yourself competent and intelligent, life gets a lot easier.  smiley

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:48:43 AM »
How old are you? What sorta job do you want to do? Can you deal with someone telling you when to wake up in the morning? You'd be surprised at the number of kids who join up because they don't want mummy and dada telling them what to do... Then they get a really rude awakening (in more ways than one).

Basic sucks. But the rest of it was pretty rocking.

Blog under construction

member1313

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »
I'm 20, at the moment.

To put things into perspective: I'm 5'10" (give or take), and I should be about 160-180 lbs. depending on what chart you look at. I'm almost 240. SadSadSad

As far as what I'd want to do, I'd probably want to go towards military police, or intelligence, even. I do admit I don't really know what the intelligence people do, and probably for a good reason. Tongue

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
Oh, dude... you better hit the weight room, and start running/biking/swimming. In a BIG way.

Forget everything you ever learned about "dieting" too... Stick to proteins and fats, and minimize processed carbohydrates.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 11:58:22 AM »
Oh, dude... you better hit the weight room, and start running/biking/swimming. In a BIG way.

Forget everything you ever learned about "dieting" too... Stick to proteins and fats, and minimize processed carbohydrates.

For cardio you have to have some carbs.  It should be ideally from whole wheats and grains, fruits and vegetables though. 
JD

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:03:30 PM »
I've always liked weight training myself, for toned muscles, not necessarily bulk.

Double benefit...the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn even at rest. And forget the processed junk, the best energy bar, IMO, is a ripe, tasty banana.

And...you'll find you don't crave processed carbs, instead, you want MEAT RIGHT NOW. Protein cravings.  grin

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 12:07:17 PM »
Here's a rough standard of height/ weight/ age: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/blintweightmale.htm
The other services are within a couple of pounds of that. I guess it would mean just what it's worth to you to join.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

member1313

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »
I know I'm going to get a LOT of crap for this, but I'd better just ask than not ask:

I've tried losing weight in the past, and I never saw results. I've tried to cut back as much as possible on fast food, and eating out, as well as soda intake.

I realized a lot of unnecessary crap I consume purely through eating out and soda.

Then I started going to my university gym M-F after classes, and did an hour straight of cardio. I never lost a single pound.

Was what I was doing a bad idea? Or should I have added to it in some way?

Hell, forget that. What's a good way to start working on losing weight? It's almost winter where I live, so running might be out of the question. I don't have a bike, but I could buy one. Smiley I should find some trails in my area to go to. I never liked those...racing bikes with the handles all curvy, so would a mountain bike do the job? (I guess any biking is better than none, right?)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »
If your serious about loosing weight and don't have a medical issue, (see your doctor to find out) then look into a trainer at the gym and some medical advice can't help but the bottom line on weight loss is very simple. you have to burn more calories than you take in if you can't do that then it won't happen.

As far as the services go, I was Navy, 1980- 1992. Submarine Service. I was an Electronics Tech on Fast Attack boats, I've deployed to the West Pacific, The Mediteranian Sea and the North Atlantic/Barents Sea. I've been under the Arctic ice and done some things that could be looked at as pretty cool.
Boot camp was a pain in the butt but was mostly head games, The technical training I got was top notch, as good as any you will find in the world. You will have good times and bad times and boring times. Don't go in looking for glory and action hero crap. I wouldn't go back for all the tea in china but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

member1313

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 02:28:01 PM »
What do you mean by "head games"? Can you elaborate on that?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »
The simples of losing weight is burning more calories that you intake, as roadkinglarry said.
On top of that, if you're serious, eliminate fast food and soda.  Both are hollow, empty calories.  
At the gym, don't just do cardio.  You need to undertake a light weight program.  You might not start losing weight right away, as your body will need to build muscle.  Consider getting a personal trainer (as rkl said).
If you don't lose the weight, the military won't even look at you.
Consider a rigid mountain bike and commuting to school if its just a few miles away.  You'll need lights and whatnot, but its worth it.
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 02:42:07 PM »
I can't see a Drill Sgt. constantly yelling, screaming, and berating everyone.

Our Drill Sergeants did that for at least the first few weeks.  After that, they only screamed, yelled and berated about half the time.   smiley  They don't really hate or despise you.  They're just trained to treat you like dog-crap, and they do it for reasons that others here can express better than I can.  It's part of the "head games."  You will learn to put up with stress, miserable conditions and harsh treatment.  Nothing you do will be good enough for them.  You'll learn something about the excuses you use for mediocre performance, and find out that you have more guts than you thought.  It will be good for you, and you'll laugh about it later. 

Go Army. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
What do you mean by "head games"? Can you elaborate on that?

Where to start... grin
Did you know it really really matters how you fold your underwear? we're talking life or death here! That ain't right recruit! drop and give me 50! MOVE MOVE MOVE!!!!

Imagine some of the most chicken squat BS you put up with in high school and add a screaming vein popping DI or Company Commander on the end of it.

Then Boot camp is over and on to real military life where every pencil-necked geek you see that has more stripes than you has some way of making your life miserable just because he can. Then if you live long enough you get to be the rat-b*at*rd making someone else's life miserable so they learn how to do their job with out killing themselves and everyone around them just like you did.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
I've seen people do the South Beach diet fairly successfully. The first couple of weeks of the diet are pretty rough, but after that, it improves. It's pretty much high protein, low carb.

USMILNET

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
If you're close to a degree, finish up and go to Officer Candidate School. This will give you time to get in shape as well. Become an officer (officer jokes aside). You will make more money, be treated better, and have lots of leadership experience when you're done. Choose a branch/job you can use when you get out.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »
A four year degree does not necessarily equate to being qualified for OCS. It all depends on WHAT the degree is in nowadays. There are PLENTY of enlisted folks with four year degrees and even a few with Master's degrees.

BTW, Rob, what field of study do you intend on getting your degree in??

USMILNET

member1313

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »
Psychology.

(Note to those who think they know what psychology is, and how useful the degree is: I don't care, and chances are, you have no idea what you're talking about. Smiley)

Edit: I wouldn't be averse to the idea of continuing my education, and becoming a psychologist for the military. I've read far too many things from veterans returning from war, as well as things written by those closely related to said veteran's regarding their mental health. I really wish I could help them.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »
re: weight:

It's not about the scale. Pounds don't really mean a lot. What means a lot is muscle vs. fat.

And you know that if you work out, and continue to eat the same, a lot of times you'll GAIN weight. And you'll wonder what the heck is going on, except your clothes are getting looser...

Seriously. You need to lose about 30 pounds, or more, to even think about it. "Women's diet" type stuff isn't going to cut it for you. Don't even go there. No sugar. No processed carbs. Just meat, fat, and lots and lots of iron and sweat.

Blog under construction

member1313

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 06:24:23 AM »
Would buying a small free weight set at a sporting goods store be a good idea, or is going to an actual gym absolutely necessary?

I've always preferred to be as minimalist as possible, meaning I prefer to rely on equipment I either don't have to travel to or can have with me in some way. (This is why I've always liked push ups, sit ups, etc.)