Author Topic: Moving the WinXP pagefile to IDE flash drive - it works!  (Read 10496 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Moving the WinXP pagefile to IDE flash drive - it works!
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »
This has been discussed all over the place since CF and SD cards have dropped in price. 

If you move the Windows XP pagefile to a drive other than the hard drive that the system is running on, you gain some performance.  Why?  Supposedly, it's because the drive heads don't have to be accessing the pagefile at the same time they're looking for the program file.

Windows Vista does something like a mirror of the pagefile in their ReadyBoost technique, using a USB card reader to cache system data.  The problem there is that the USB interface is pretty slow compared to an IDE or SATA bus, so it's not the best solution.

Windows XP does not allow one to mount a flash card as an internal drive through a USB card reader, at least, not without some serious gyrations, and you're still stuck with the relatively-slow USB bus.

So how to do it?

I have been working with two variations over the last couple of weeks, both camping out on the Secondary IDE bus, to avoid any data bandwidth conflicts with the system hard drive on the Primary IDE bus.  You gain nothing moving the pagefile to a different partition on the same hard drive, and if you want the best I/O speed, you really should move that pagefile to a different IDE/SATA channel.

One way to accomplish this is to use a Compact Flash IDE adapter, which is a small circuit card that mounts a Compact Flash card on one end, with 40/44 pin IDE connections on the other end.  There are jumpers for Master/Slave, and a separate power feed.  This is the one I'm using:

Windows XP recognizes it as an internal hard drive, but there's a catch - it has to be Industrial or True-IDE flash.  If not, then Windows XP will only recognize it as a removable flash drive, and not allow one to move the pagefile to it.

Once installed, it was easy to simply relocate the Windows XP pagefile to the flash "drive", remove the original pagefile from the system drive, and pretty much let it go with no further ado.  The pagefile for this particular system is approximately 2Gb in size, so there's another 2Gb left on the card.  I've moved some files in and out, and even loaded some videos to see what the performance was like.  Writing was about like any other spinning platter hard drive, but reading files was pretty darned quick.  I'll try to get some hard numbers later using PCPitstop.com, just to see what the transfer rates are compared to the rest of hard drives in this system. I was NOT able to format the flash drive in NTFS, so I left it as FAT32.  That's fine, because NTFS does a lot more reading and writing in file management, and reading a pagefile every now and again via FAT32 isn't really a problem. I've removed all the files save for the pagefile and Windows-associated System Volume Information folder, so that the Compact Flash card's wear management features have plenty of available transistors to shuffle amongst.

How well does it work?  Keep in mind this is a multi-cpu Xeon 3.0Ghz machine with 2Gb of memory, and I doubt that it ever really hit the pagefile that hard to begin with. However, I have noticed so far that Windows boots a bit faster, and applications load a wee bit quicker.  I watch the green access LED on the IDE adapter, and it doesn't really show much activity save for boot-up and starting larger programs like Quark Express and Adobe Photoshop CS2.  Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood seems to hit it a fair amount, also.  It's actually working pretty well, and I've since installed it in my wife's identical workstation, with the intent of doing a long-term evaluation to see just how well the solid-state CF card holds up. So far, so good, and it's really a minimalist install, although I mounted the CF/IDE adapter in her IBM's hard drive bay so I could see the three LEDs flashing through the front grill. 

On Mtnbkr's suggestion, I also looked into a SSD hard drive, also known as DOM, or Disk-On-Module.  This is a flash module that's designed to replace a spinning-platter hard drive completely, geared towards small embedded systems and notebooks. I didn't really want or need a large HD replacement, so I found an 8Gb Transcend DOM unit that's absolutely tiny, and snaps directly into the IDE motherboard socket:

Again, it installed very easily under XP Pro, but wouldn't let me format it as NTFS, so it, too, stays as FAT32.  I mounted it on the Secondary IDE channel, and since it's occupying the socket, I won't be able to add any more IDE devices to that chain without some sort of cable male/female Y-adapter of sorts. That's ok because my DVD burner is the slave device on the Primary IDE channel, no problem.  The rest of the hard drives in this computer are SCSI, so we're safe. I noticed that the little Transcend DOM drive has a miniature selector switch for Master/Slave, so they know some folks will indeed use such an adapter cable. There were no instructions in the box with the drive, but I would imagine few would be needed.

This one performs the same way as the CF/IDE adapter combination, albeit with 8Gb of space vs. 4Gb. I've left just the pagefile on this drive, too, so that wear leveling has a chance.  That, and I will bump up the system memory eventually, which will automatically expand the pagefile size.   

So far, so good.  About the only reason I tried this is because people recommended against it, but since SSD technology is finally established, I want to see just how long such an implementation would hold up in day-to-day operation. It may be robust enough to actually work, or it may crap out - we'll see.   =D 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Moving the WinXP pagefile to IDE flash drive - it works!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
Schweet.

I'll keep this in mind next time I crack open my case.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:50:23 PM »
Ok, PCPitstop HD speed results:

1. 4Gb Industrial CF card w/IDE adapter reports 13Mb/s

2. 8Gb IDE flash DOM widget reports 30Mb/s

3.  As a baseline, the Maxtor 200Gb ATA 133 hard drive running WinXP Pro reports 45Mb/s

Obviously, a newer SATA hard drive would report faster data transfer rates, but I was somewhat surprised to see the little Transcend DOM right there at 30Mb/s!  :O

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:52:14 PM »
Excellent write up.  Thanks for posting it!  =)

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:26:50 AM »
I doubt that it ever really hit the pagefile that hard to begin with

Maybe, maybe not.  You'll need to install some symbols and get process explorer running to really know.  Remember, the system presents a contiguous 4GB of memory to each and every application that loads.  And don't fall for what task manager says about how much memory you're using.  All physical RAM is in use at all times, it just shows you what's actually hard committed.

I've used CF cards as hard drives before.  I worked on a project to build a load balancer at a dev shop I used to work in.  We didn't want a spinning hard drive for reliability reasons, so we went with CF-IDE, and it was *FAST*.

Obviously, a newer SATA hard drive would report faster data transfer rates

Possibly.  All the IOPS are done serially, so it's nowhere near the speed of SCSI, but in your case you now have essentially zero seek time.  A good SATA might perform a transfer of a large, contiguous file a bit faster over a good length of time, but fragmentation is pretty much meaningless on that drive, so its response time for the average file will be pretty spectacular.  It may be a bit slower, but it's a whole lot smoother, which will give you great performance.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:19:17 AM »
Meh.  I'm glad you're happy with your experiment, but I note:

USB v1 peak bandwidth is something around 12mpbs.
USB v2 peak bandwidth is 480mbps.
PATA (40 pin IDE) peak bandwidth is 133mbps.
SATA v1 peak bandwidth is 300mbps.
SATA v2 peak bandwidth is 3gbps.

I find it extremely telling that your product, considering the fact that it is inherently a geek toy and not mainstream, is manufactured and geared towards the PATA interface.  Obviously its peak throughput (the card itself) is less than 133mbps, or the manufacturer would put a SATA connector on it instead.

Each of my Seagate 7200.11 SATA drives report 53mbps for throughput.  I have C: drive on one, and the swap file and large data files on the other.

Until they can treat 800/1033/1333mhz RAM directly attached to the north bridge as a block device, I don't think it is going to be worthwhile in comparison to what a disk can do.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:18:51 AM »
Meh, I don't recall saying that I buy bleeding-edge stuff, AZ. 

I'm not made of money, and these are some of the same IBM corporate lease turn-in machines I was refurbing and selling to my customers a couple years ago. IOW, something solid, reliable, and supported by their manufacturer, even when they first started hitting the streets circa 2002. You know, silly stuff like Intel 860 chipsets, 800-45 ECC RDRAM, 120mm intake and exhaust fans, both IDE/PATA and SCSI controllers, multiple Socket 603 Xeon DP/MP processors, AGP video, and so forth.  You're right - they're horribly obsolete. I can't upgrade past 3.0Ghz, and they're 32-bit, so at some point down the road I'm sure I'll have to move on to bigger and better.  But not for a while, yet.

It's fun to me because they're all leftover IBM Intellistation M-Pro workstations, used by Weta Digital in the production of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I found a wholesaler in Omaha, and over the course of a year or so grabbed a dozen of the 150 machines that Peter Jackson and crew leased to create all those animated critters in the movies. I sold 8 to customers, and kept 4 of them. The most I paid for one was $250.00.  The last one I actually found elsewhere on eBay, and it went for 99 cents, plus the $54.00 S&H.  They're too old for SATA, but I'm cool with IDE and SCSI in 75lb brick-outhouse workstations that sell for 99 cents. It's not as if I cannot find IDE ATA-133 and Ultra320 SCSI hard drives new-in-the-box. Granted, when I hit the lottery, I'll buy that multiple Xeon 64-bit workstation with SATA. When I hit the lottery...

So I'm very sorry that they're not your cup of tea, but I'm tickled pink with them. I posted above that I got a rated 45mbps for my Maxtor PATA HD, a whopping 8mbps behind your Seagate SATA drives.  But they're still old-fashioned hard drives, spinning, wearing out (I give my drives about 5 years tops), producing heat, and sucking juice.  If SSDs are actually here to stay, you'll see those undesirable attributes minimized considerably compared to their mechanical cousins.

Extremely telling or otherwise (WTF? Is that a subtle hint that the thread wasn't welcome?), my experiment set out to do what I suspected was going to happen all along. The question I want to answer is whether solid-state hard drive replacements, done via cheap Compact Flash cards, are a viable and robust technology.  4Gb-8Gb isn't much in the scheme of things, but even you have to admit the practice of offloading the pagefile from the system hard drive has merit, Nicht Wahr? Otherwise you wouldn't have done it, yourself...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:23:04 AM »
There are also CF/SATA adapters, for those so inclined...

Tom's Hardware talks about the USB bottleneck, and the CF/SATA adapters:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/accelerated-compact-flash,1100.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:26:14 AM by Gewehr98 »

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 06:53:49 AM »
Very cool idea. If I had more money I would be doing something similar with one of these:

PhotoFast launches 750MB/s SSD

Oh yeah. One for games, and one for the page file and other junk. Overkill?  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
Whoa!

Buh-bye, traditional hard drives!   :O

(I wonder how much that 1 Terabyte model will sell for?)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 04:51:04 PM »
Cool stuff, Gewehr98.  Keep us updated as to how it's working.
I've been playing with a 4GB Apacer that looks almost identical to the Transcend unit in your picture.  It's about to go into a production machine at work just to see how it performs.  That particular machine will do some disk writes as it operates, so we'll get a good idea as to how the write leveling works.
On the bench, boot ups are much faster into Windows NT 4.0 with the SSD.  It shaved about 30% off the normal startup time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
I wonder how much that 1 Terabyte model will sell for?
As of right now, probably too many Dollars and 00 Cents:O
Hopefully in the future they will be in my reach.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
Some of us have personal machines that are considerably older than what we might be issued from our employers.

In my case, I built the machine I am mashing out this post on in early 2003 (AMD Athlon 2200XP at 1.8GHz). That makes it 6+ years old.  All EIDE/PATA/AGP.  Still runs everything I could want to run at home.

I don't envision buying a new desktop or building one any time soon, unless a super screaming deal hits me in the head.  I will then make the leap into the new world of 64bit, SATA, etc.

Thus, G98's little experiment may not be something I might need for work machines, as some of them are true beasts, but it might be something to consider for my home box, to keep it trucking for a little while longer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
We'll all be forced to play the upgrade game eventually, that's quite evident, in a Detroit tailfins planned-obsolescence kind of way.  Windows 7 is telling me that in a big way, even though it's supposed to be easier on the hardware than Vista. For the time being, I'm staying with 32-bit XP Pro, and just tweaking it to run efficiently and quickly.

I've been watching the prices of true SSD units dropping with much interest, particularly those 32Gb-64Gb versions intended to replace 2.5" notebook and palmtop hard drives. 

Assuming they can get the read/write speeds up there compared to a spinning platter drive, I'd be game to replace my 200Gb Maxtor's 63Gb boot partition with the solid-state version, and just use the Maxtor elsewhere on the IDE bus for a non-system media drive.

I'll tell you one thing - they couldn't have installed any brighter activity/power/CF present LEDs on the CF/IDE adapter if they had tried.  My wife's workstation reminds me of those gaming systems full of CFL and LED goodies now.   =D

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
Hehehe. I know the feeling - I recently moved from a nice classy, understated Lian Li case to a Coolermaster HAF 932. Talk about butt-ugly! However, it is amazingly easy to work in, and the cooling is very good. I did not bother to connect any of the lights for the front of the case, not any of the front panel connectors in fact.
Also, I too want a small SSD for my OS drive.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
Meh, I don't recall saying that I buy bleeding-edge stuff, AZ. 

So I'm very sorry that they're not your cup of tea, but I'm tickled pink with them. I posted above that I got a rated 45mbps for my Maxtor PATA HD, a whopping 8mbps behind your Seagate SATA drives.  But they're still old-fashioned hard drives, spinning, wearing out (I give my drives about 5 years tops), producing heat, and sucking juice.  If SSDs are actually here to stay, you'll see those undesirable attributes minimized considerably compared to their mechanical cousins.

8mbps behind my SATA means that the speed bottleneck to get much faster than that is rotational platter speed or some other limitation of drive design and has nothing to do with the bus spec.  SSD's have a long ways to go internally before they approach the maximum potential throughput that a disk is capable of.  Given that 10KRPM HDD's are available on the market and they have even higher throughput, I wouldn't expect SSD's to leapfrog their dominance for quite some time, PF or otherwise.

Extremely telling or otherwise (WTF? Is that a subtle hint that the thread wasn't welcome?), my experiment set out to do what I suspected was going to happen all along. The question I want to answer is whether solid-state hard drive replacements, done via cheap Compact Flash cards, are a viable and robust technology.  4Gb-8Gb isn't much in the scheme of things, but even you have to admit the practice of offloading the pagefile from the system hard drive has merit, Nicht Wahr? Otherwise you wouldn't have done it, yourself...

No argument presented that the thread isn't welcome... just that I am less than astonished by SSD performance in comparison to IDE/SATA HDD's.  I'm a huge believer in assigning disk spindles to particular tasks.  My C: drive handles the OS and core application binaries.  My D: drive handles my swap and data storage.  It's about time for an E: drive to handle my databases and other IO intensive stuff.  Also to diversify backups so that a platter crash doesn't cost me data.  I learned a lot about IO design from my last gig in a high transaction database environment... including not to trade even a hint of speed for reliable up-time.

By "extremely telling", I meant that it was indicative of the speed goals of the device designer.  They are not attempting to beat an HDD in speed.  They know they can't.  That's why new odd technology was being released on an old bus rather than the new standard you find on every PC for the last 2 years.

Now... a PATA adapter card with multiple sockets for CF, that RAIDed the stuff to increase speed, might be interesting.  Probably spendy too, since it would have to be a firmware level configuration.

Not trying to poke the G98-bear... just didn't want this thread turning into an SSD upgrade fest where people were expecting broad new horizons of performance that they could just as easily get by adding a second HDD to offload page work... and get the same benefits with the addition of more storage space as well.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Oh, I understand that.

I've run into a bit of a problem adding hard drives to my particular worstation, though.  4 each hard drives, multiple Xeon MP processors, PLUS the big ATI Radeon, have caused my 480-watt power supply to go weak in the knees.  I'd actually moved the pagefile to the SCSI drives and the second IDE drive earlier, but my latest video card upgrade meant I had to economize on the system's electrical draw.  It was the first BSOD I'd seen in a long time, and it actually caused the BIOS to go to default settings. I could only imagine what a pair of Crossfire-bridged Radeon video cards with 2 each molex power connectors would draw.  :O

I've considered a bigger power supply, but I fear that this IBM's a proprietary version, with a weird additional 4-pin motherboard connector that's not square like others I've seen. I wanted to add a Koolance Exos 2 or 2.5 to the system to keep temps down, but that, too, will draw water pump and 120mm fan juice from the IBM's power supply.

So I yanked an IDE drive and a SCSI drive, then replaced their pagefile space with that little Transcend DOM unit to relieve some of the load.

I also installed the little HDD LED Indicator desktop/taskbar widget to track just the pagefile drive's usage. 

http://www.hddled.com

You can set it to monitor, one, all, or any combination of hard drives in your system, and it reports reads, writes, rates, requests, and queue lengths.

I have it putting a tiny little rectangular LED icon on the top left of my desktop, and it alternates colors when activity is detected.  It also flashes the scroll lock LED on my keyboard at the same time.

If you want to see something neat, watch pagefile usage when you minimize an application.  Evidently, that's a free license for Windows to start caching the application into virtual memory in anticipation of either a shutdown, standby, hibernate, or another application firing up. 

Somebody at Microsoft got paid serious money for thinking of that, I'll wager.   =D

Depending on how this works long-term, I may just bite the bullet and get a decent-sized SSD.  Then my noise, heat-generating, voltage-sucking IDE and SCSI drives can take a break. 

BTW, I'd like to think that poking the Gewehr Bear ain't anywhere near as much of a problem as jabbing the Irwin Bear.

The Gewehr Bear is more of a big panda, and as long as you don't look, smell, or taste like bamboo, you're pretty much safe.   =D

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
So now I'm considering moving the Windows XP print spool folder to flash IDE...  =D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
lol.  You do that much printing?

I do that for servers... but that's it.
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
Yes, and yes.

My wife's workstation has an HP All-In-One scanner/fax/printer/copier, and of course, it connects via USB only, no RJ-45 jack.

When the rest of us in the household want to send documents to that printer through the network, it means that her workstation just became a dedicated print server.

She's not inconvenienced too much by inbound print jobs, but I can make it even more transparent, I figure, by moving her print spool folder to the 4Gb CF/IDE drive.  If that's not enough room, I'll buy an 8Gb Industrial CF card to replace it. 

Likewise, we have a couple professional-grade color laser printers for the graphics business, as well as a 52" vinyl cutter.  One of the color lasers is a Phaser 780, the other's a Phaser 560.  Pantone color-corrected photo-quality Adobe and Quark documents can be real pigs in the outbound print queu, so another way to put the spurs to my SDD experiment is by moving the print spool folder on my workstation to that little device. If it dies, it'll be replaced under warranty, and I'll revert to simple pagefile usage.  I've discovered that the pagefile write/read frequency isn't really all that much, anyway.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook that needs a new hard drive.  I am very tempted to buy a 32Gb or 64Gb SDD now, and give it a whirl.   

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »
Nearly one year later...

Both workstations with the Pagefile flash drives are still chugging away. 

The wear-leveling algorithms on both the Transcend 8Gb IDE SSD and the Sandisk 4Gb Industrial CF card seem to be holding their own.

I've left them as strictly Pagefile drives, no other files save for what WinXP puts on them, and I killed System Restore for just those drives to minimize read/write cycles to those absolutely necessary for Pagefile ops.

I'm giving serious consideration to a larger-capacity SSD, since the technology should have matured at least a little bit in the last year.  The prices have dropped further, too.  =D 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 11:59:43 PM »
Gewher98, is that DOM and SLC or MLC based unit?  I'm guessing SLC based on the -S on the part number.  Given the advances in MLC reliability and increased R/W cycles, would you consider using an MLC based device?

The 4GB DOM I placed in service in a WinNT 4.0 box about the same time you started this project is still plugging away.  No problems that can be traced to the DOM have been encounted as yet.
I've since installed three more SSDs in various systems at the DC.  One is an 8GB DOM in a box identical to the first one mentioned.  It's running a conveyor control system and is also working well.  Both of these boxes are legacy SBC-type computers that plug into an ISA bus card plane.
I have a third 8GB DOM in a Windows 2000 box running bar code labeling system.  No problems have been encountered so far.  That box is built on a more traditional socket 478 micro-ATX motherboard running a Pentium IV.
A fourth unit, a 2.5 inch laptop form factor 8GB IDE drive is in another Windows 2000 box running a barcode scanning/decoding system.
All of these boxes were straight forward Windows installations with a single drive.  Nothing was changed with regard to the page files, they are operating in the standard fashion.  Three of the systems do a fair amount of writing to their respective drives, saving databases and scanning logs.  There have been no indications of cell degradation or other performance issues so far.
All of these drives have been SLC based devices from the same manufacturer, though not Transcend.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:03:14 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 12:29:20 AM »
I started reading this last year, and it didn't make much sense to me.  I'm more or less following it now. 

I have two or three extra PATA HDDs sitting around.  So I guess I could use them as page file drives?   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »
Yes, but with caveats.

Don't put the OS on the same drive, and put the pagefile drive on a different IDE HD channel than the drive that your OS resides on.

Otherwise, you won't get much benefit from the pagefile relocation - if the pagefile resides on a second HD sitting on the IDE Primary Channel along with the HD that your OS is installed to, then the data bus is still bottlenecked by the two drives moving stuff back and forth on the same channel at the same time.

You want the pagefile to have complete freedom to read and write independently of the OS drive, but with the best possible data transfer rates.  That precludes USB, although a PCI SCSI controller card and a small SCSI drive would probably work quite well for the function.  The computers I've been testing out the theory on also have onboard SCSI controllers, and I've actually used a 18Gb SCSI HD in lieu of the solid-state drives on the garage computer.  It works, but you're also adding another spinning platter HD to the mix, negating the compact size, minimal current draw, and cool temps of the solid-state device.     

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
I started reading this last year, and it didn't make much sense to me.  I'm more or less following it now. 

I have two or three extra PATA HDDs sitting around.  So I guess I could use them as page file drives?   

If your disk is too slow, you'll actually see a performance HIT by adding a drive dedicated to paging.

Take, for instance, a box with a Seagate 7200.11 drive that's fairly modern.

Then add a second drive for paging "that you just have lying around" like a Maxtor 5400rpm 20gb drive.

The Maxtor is such an order of magnitude slower (less RPM's, larger platter size per byte stored means greater revolution per byte, probably 512kb cache) that it's an overall performance hit to take the page work off the more efficient drive... unless the drive is actually at full utilization and you have a lot of queued I/O operations that are directly attributable to paging.

Perfmon.exe is your friend for finding this out.

G98's mention of two drives on 2 channels isn't as big of a concern as he makes it out to be... neither drive can attain the 133mb max throughput of the PATA channel.  Probably the two of them together, simultaneously, can't attain it.  Most PATA drives have a hard time attaining even 40mb throughput.

It's been awhile since I've drive-shopped, but I'd be surprised to see a SATA-2 drive capable of greater than 100mb sustained throughput.

Remember:  Performance is only tangible if you have work to perform.  If you can't put the computer to work with synchronous I/O operations that you can control the disk locations for, then adding drives for performance (solid state, SCSI, SATA or PATA) won't do you a lick of good.

Otherwise, all you're doing is taxing your PSU and wearing out platter and fan bearings.
--Lysander Spooner