Author Topic: Moving the WinXP pagefile to IDE flash drive - it works!  (Read 10495 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Moving the WinXP pagefile to IDE flash drive - it works!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:43 AM »
If your disk is too slow, you'll actually see a performance HIT by adding a drive dedicated to paging.

Take, for instance, a box with a Seagate 7200.11 drive that's fairly modern.

Then add a second drive for paging "that you just have lying around" like a Maxtor 5400rpm 20gb drive.

The Maxtor is such an order of magnitude slower that it's an overall performance hit to take the page work off the more efficient drive...

I suspected as much.  That is indeed the kind of hardware I have "lying around" to use as a page file drive.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:04 AM »
Something tells me Fistful doesn't have an 11th generation Seagate 7200.11 spinning high-rpm vortices into the local space-time continuum.  Call it a hunch.   ;)

Yes, a slower HD may read pagefile data into the IDE bus slower than the heads seeking both pagefile and OS data on a common drive.

Monkeys may fly out of my posterior, too.  In fact, when I was under general anesthesia for surgery last year, they may very well have.  I wasn't there, so it's entirely possible.  I remember my ass hurting afterwards, but it may have been an episode with an overly amorous male nurse in the recovery room for all I know. Nobody's talking, so I'll probably never know.  I'll stick with the monkey story, regardless.

IOW, Fistful never said what spare drives he has to experiment with, and I didn't start this thread promulgating a second HD as an alternate pagefile storage medium. I say there's no harm in letting him experiment.  If he sees no visible improvement, no harm, no foul. Google "relocating XP pagefile" and you'll see a wide variety of responses.  Some contributors are hacks, some I'm sure are PhD's who could teach Bill Gates and Steve Jobs a thing or three.  YMMV, and all that.

Some folks say that if you have enough RAM, you should disable the Windows XP pagefile entirely.  I see no wisdom in that with respect to the way virtual memory works, but hey...

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 01:39:41 AM »
Something tells me Fistful doesn't have an 11th generation Seagate 7200.11 spinning high-rpm vortices into the local space-time continuum.  Call it a hunch.   ;)

I have no idea what they are, but probably faster than the second HDD I'd install.  Especially if I use the 10 GB unit I pulled from Dad's old computer.   =)

If I have two IDE jacks on the motherboard, are those two seperate buses, or could they be on the same one? 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 01:43:07 AM »
Two distinct 40-pin IDE connectors most likely represent IDE Primary and IDE Secondary channels, Fistful. 

A 10Gb Maxtor will be slow, like an ATA-66 or similar.  Doesn't hurt to try, though. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 01:46:44 AM »
G98 is being...territorial... of his thread.

He likes his paging file experiments.  Cool.  I dig.

A Seagate 7200.11 is not bleeding-edge or anything, Fisty.  I've got one in my computer that I've had for about 3 years, and I never buy bleeding edge so it had to have been out for awhile before I got it.  Probably a 4-5 year old drive design.  I don't know the exact sizes they offered, but I'd guess from 160GB to 750GB before they went to a new architecture (if they even have, yet).

However, it blows the pants off of just about every drive out there smaller than 60GB (i.e. the Fistful "bucket o' drives" you have gathering dust in the back closet).

My point is:  If you have a 7200rpm C: drive and then plop a 5400rpm (or a slower performance in general) drive in as D: and assign your page file to it, you won't see a benefit unless you are doing so much C: drive related work that has nothing to do with the page file that you suck up the whole disk I/O channel.  AND, you'll slow your computer down and introduce an un-needed bottleneck if you simply put it in there thinking "more has to be better."

But, if the drives are comparable in performance, then it can offer a net system performance gain.

ETA:  Taken to extremes, you end up with this type of silliness.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/05/35-inch-floppy.php

Yes, that's a RAID array... of 3.5 inch floppy drives. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:50:23 AM by Blondie »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 01:50:42 AM »
That makes sense to me.  I may try it in an older machine, where the older page file drive would have similar performance to the main HDD. 

Thanks.

I also just got a server, with multiple SCSIs, so that's another possibility.  =)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 01:55:13 AM »
Hey fisty!  With all your new 'puters running, what's your electric bill like these days?  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
Yes, but with caveats.

Don't put the OS on the same drive, and put the pagefile drive on a different IDE HD channel than the drive that your OS resides on.

Otherwise, you won't get much benefit from the pagefile relocation - if the pagefile resides on a second HD sitting on the IDE Primary Channel along with the HD that your OS is installed to, then the data bus is still bottlenecked by the two drives moving stuff back and forth on the same channel at the same time.

You want the pagefile to have complete freedom to read and write independently of the OS drive, but with the best possible data transfer rates.  That precludes USB, although a PCI SCSI controller card and a small SCSI drive would probably work quite well for the function.  The computers I've been testing out the theory on also have onboard SCSI controllers, and I've actually used a 18Gb SCSI HD in lieu of the solid-state drives on the garage computer.  It works, but you're also adding another spinning platter HD to the mix, negating the compact size, minimal current draw, and cool temps of the solid-state device.     
if this supports your printer, you might be able to speed up printer and that box [popcorn]

disclaimer: no i don't have a router with it, yet. i'm planing on trying to setup too wired networks linked by too wireless routers. [tinfoil] oh, and there are cheaper routers(dlink and not dlink =D) that support the same thing. =)