Author Topic: Suspect detained over 'extremist' bumper sticker  (Read 10525 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Suspect detained over 'extremist' bumper sticker
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
slow conspiracy day when 1/2 hour no ticket makes wnd
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

taurusowner

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »
Officer: "May I search your car?"

Citizen: "May I pee in your boot?"

Should be all the farther THAT conversation goes...

Or you could not be an ass and just politely say no?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »
Or they could just politely not try to get me to consent to an unconstitutional search of my belongings?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

taurusowner

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »
Explain to me exactly how asking to search is unconstitutional.  The 4th Amendment specifically says "unreasonable search and seizure".  There's nothing unreasonable about just asking.  Just like there's nothing unreasonable about saying no.  Hence, asking for voluntary consent to a search is in no way unconstitutional.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:14:05 PM by Ragnar Danneskjold »

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
statist!  i'd say more but i'm on my way to man the barricades.... well after some cheetos and a nap.  maybe a lil time on the wii first
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 09:11:09 PM »
No, requesting a consent to search is probably not unconstitutional. And?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »

That's what I did, but for some reason it irked some of them.  :|
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 01:42:53 AM »

LEO is being an ass by implying I am a nogoodnik with something worth pawing all over my vehicle to get at.

For some reason, I find the implication that I am a nogoodnik offensive.

Now, maybe it is in the LEO job description to be an ass, but I don't have to like being on the ass-end of it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
LEO is being an ass by implying I am a nogoodnik with something worth pawing all over my vehicle to get at.

Ding, ding, ding! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Too many people just don't get what's happening today. Cops wanting to search your car just because; having to walk thru metal detectors and then get wanded; I won't even get into the abominable way our government treats us at airports.

What it all boils down to is that our masters are so afraid of us that they are beginning to treat us all as if we were criminals.

Guilty until proven innocent! That's where we are today.

Where we'll be tomorrow...

Who knows?

EDITED to ADD: Actually this guy knows. Vin Suprynowicz - the guy is prescient. In his novel Black Arrow much of what he writes about has already happened, is happening or probably eventually will based on the way things are going. If you liked Unintended Consequences and Enemies Foreign and Domestic then you'll enjoy the Black Arrow.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:00:23 AM by Werewolf »
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
Too many people just don't get what's happening today. Cops wanting to search your car just because; having to walk thru metal detectors and then get wanded; I won't even get into the abominable way our government treats us at airports.

The sad thing is people are conditioned to accept it in a pavlovian manner. When .gov unzips their fly, the average American grabs their ankles.

Quick anecdote. I flew into Mexico about a month ago. Wife told me that I had to take my shoes off to go through the TSA checkpoint- I told her that they aren't coming off until I'm told to do so, I was asked of course. On the way back, at Cancun International, it was easy to see who the Americans were- they people lining up up at the checkpoint with their shoes off. My wife told me again to take my shoes off and I replied, "We are in Mexico, they don't have TSA assclowns here." I laughed when the guy in front of me was frantically trying to get his shoes off before the checkpoint, and one of the Mexican officials told him "No senior, you can leave your shoes on."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 10:37:19 PM »
Officer: "May I search your car?"

Citizen: "May I pee in your boot?"

Should be all the farther THAT conversation goes...
I tried a variation on that conversation once. 

Officer:  "Can I search your trunk?"

Me:  "Can I search your trunk?"

It went downhill fast.  Never get in a pissing contest with a cop.

I've had much better luck with "I do not consent to any searches, I decline to answer any questions, am I free to go?"

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »
searching my truck?  the inside looks like it was in a bad rollover acident and we replaced the glass and let the debris lay. the lady at dmv declined getting in for a road test. my helper got pulled over and they wanted to search till they got a look at the mess

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »
I tried a variation on that conversation once. 

Officer:  "Can I search your trunk?"

Me:  "Can I search your trunk?"

Yet to hear some people tell it, this would constitute "having an attitude". I'd like to hear how treating the cop the same way as he treats you (i.e., holding him to the same standard) is an "attitude".

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 11:11:04 AM »
Much of what people call "attitude" comes across from tone and body language. Things not well expressed on the net...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 12:12:40 PM »
"LEO is being an ass by implying I am a nogoodnik with something worth pawing all over my vehicle to get at."

He doesn't know you from adam.

As such, he's not implying anything.

He's just hoping to get the occasional 'tard who says yes and who has drugs, guns, whatever, in the car. Yes, there are people who are that stupid. Like the occasional 'tard who would check "Yes, I am a fugitive from justice," or "I do use illegal drugs" when filling out the Federal yellow form at the gunshop where I used to work.

In other words, he's fishing, hoping you're the dumb big mouth bass.

It's been quite awhile since I've been stopped, but I have never been asked to submit to a search.

But, my response, no matter what, would be a very polite "no thank you, I don't agree to have my car searched." No matter what the officer would say, my response would be the same. Very polite, no angry facial expressions, no combative body language.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
I have had one of those "don't tread on me" flags and a Vietnam vet sticker on my truck for years.  I guess I can expect to be stopped.  But, I ride my motorcycles most of the time though.  They will probably bust me because the American flag has faded to a white rectangle....time to get another one....chris3

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »
"LEO is being an ass by implying I am a nogoodnik with something worth pawing all over my vehicle to get at."

He doesn't know you from adam.

As such, he's not implying anything.

He's just hoping to get the occasional 'tard who says yes and who has drugs, guns, whatever, in the car. Yes, there are people who are that stupid. Like the occasional 'tard who would check "Yes, I am a fugitive from justice," or "I do use illegal drugs" when filling out the Federal yellow form at the gunshop where I used to work.

In other words, he's fishing, hoping you're the dumb big mouth bass.

You're correct, the LEO doesn't know me.  If he did he'd not bother asking. 

But, as you write, he does not know me and he just assumes I am a nogoodnik. 

Your explanation does not help, as it leaves the LEO hoping / implying that I am not just a nogoodnik, but a nogoodnik 'tard .

Assuming I am both criminal and stupid is not the way to get me to cooperate or be positively inclined toward the assumer.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
Being an ass to others every time you perceive them doing it to you is not worth the aggravation and trouble (in my experience at least).  It doesn't matter if it is a cop or just some guy on the street.  Not everyone is out to trample your rights and you shouldn't make assumptions about that either.

I must be in the area that has some of the nicest and most professional cops in the entire nation because I have never had a bad experience.  Even when I was a student and young/dumb, the cops were professional when I got stopped.  I hear stories like everyone else, but it hasn't happened to me.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:55:45 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 04:02:52 PM »
You're correct, the LEO doesn't know me.  If he did he'd not bother asking. 

But, as you write, he does not know me and he just assumes I am a nogoodnik. 

Your explanation does not help, as it leaves the LEO hoping / implying that I am not just a nogoodnik, but a nogoodnik 'tard .

Assuming I am both criminal and stupid is not the way to get me to cooperate or be positively inclined toward the assumer.
'

You know what? Life's a bitch and then you die.

That and $1.49 will get you a cup of mediocre coffee, another one of life's travesties.

Your REAL problem isn't with police, it's with the TRUE nogoodniks who have caused our society, and our police, to evolve as they have today.

So, put your angst where it really belongs, because you're not doing anyone, least of all yourself, any good by pissing and moaning about what is and what is not going to change.

YOU don't want to be treated as if you might be a nogoodnik. No one does. But that's life in a nutshell.

But, since you're disinclined to be moderately cooperative and moderately civil, I suggest the next time you get stopped by the cops that you jump out of your car, waving your arms and screaming at the top of your lungs. Be sure to run straight AT the officer so he knows that you're addressing him, and not a passenger in your car or a random voice in your head. If you have a golf club or maybe a baseball bat, I suggest you wave that around, as well, as it makes you easier to see.

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:06:36 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 04:24:11 PM »
bring lots of bactine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:08:38 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2009, 07:35:43 PM »
Well, you know, I don't know him from Adam.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 07:48:27 PM »

That and $1.49 will get you a cup of mediocre coffee, another one of life's travesties.

Your REAL problem isn't with police, it's with the TRUE nogoodniks who have caused our society, and our police, to evolve as they have today.

So, put your angst where it really belongs, because you're not doing anyone, least of all yourself, any good by pissing and moaning about what is and what is not going to change.

YOU don't want to be treated as if you might be a nogoodnik. No one does. But that's life in a nutshell.

Uh, no, the ("the," not "my") problem in the hypothetical we are discussing is most definitely with the LEO who assumes I am a feebleminded criminal and who acts like an ass. 

Sounds like the LEOs in your parts treat you like you expect to be treated.  Thanks for the tip.

In my town, we don't tolerate much of that sort of thing and make sure our city council, mayor, & city manager know it.  Case in point: we just ran a retired police LT off the city council after one term.  He forgot to check his attitude at the door and we tossed him out in the 09MAY2009 election*.  Good riddance to bad rubbish, as he went out in with the same (lack of) class he displayed while in office.

That goes for the Police Chief and the Richardson PD leadership, too.  We expect them to act professionally and treat us (the citizenry, the taxpayers, and their neighbors) with respect.  We return the respect in kind...and include some of the best pay & benefits to be found in the metro area because we know that quality costs.  The results are an efficient, professional, well-equipped, and effective police department that has the support of the citizens.  Wonderful results, but it requires effort and determination.

But, since you're disinclined to be moderately cooperative and moderately civil, I suggest the next time you get stopped by the cops that you jump out of your car, waving your arms and screaming at the top of your lungs. Be sure to run straight AT the officer so he knows that you're addressing him, and not a passenger in your car or a random voice in your head. If you have a golf club or maybe a baseball bat, I suggest you wave that around, as well, as it makes you easier to see.

:rolleyes:

One word: decaf.

* Got to vote for my first "first generation American of Middle-Eastern immigrant parents" to replace the turd.  Go Omar!:  http://www.omarforrichardson.com/

I thought we weren't supposed to suggest illegal behavior.   =D

MI's a special case.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 06:56:20 AM »

There's a reason I'm a Methushelah Foundation donor. =D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 07:24:12 AM »
narcissism?