Author Topic: No Olympics for Chicago!  (Read 10562 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: No Olympics for Chicago!
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
I'm only outraged that during a recession, and during a time when government spending has reached critical levels, our President and his people thought a last minute trip to Europe for the selection of an olympic city after Obama is out of office would be a good idea.
Seems like a waste of time and resources.
Otherwise, I'm trying to be outraged.  Considering its pretty much customary for other countries to send their Presidents or Prime Ministers.
It is funny, though...I can just picture the One thinking that his appearance would certainly have won Chi town the bid.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »
Obviously; what I am not sure about is why would ordinary people, who're not in on the soaking, want this.
Hometown notoriety.
"OMG! We're have the Olympics in my town!" Some businesses stand to make good money from the crowds, too - hotels, restaurants, etc. They don't understand how much the things cost.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
Obviously; what I am not sure about is why would ordinary people, who're not in on the soaking, want this.

Because they want a huge, international sporting event(s) to be held in their area?  Or did you think when you say "Olympics," most people think extra taxes and deficit spending?  

A lot of them have probably never thought about it.  A lot of them probably only think about the extra jobs and economic activity that would result, without looking at the other side of things.  Probably some of them are being influenced by Obama, by the Mayor, by their union, or by some local politician or "community organizer."

Then, of course, you have your dedicated Olympics fans.  

...the selection of an olympic city after Obama is out of office...

He may still be in office in 2016.  Sadly. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:14:28 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2009, 02:52:58 AM »
Chicago hosting the Olympics? A crime ridden, corrupt congested urban wasteland that lacks culture and class (well the Chicago symphony is good) and whose whole raison d'etre is trying to be like New York...

Pass....who goes to Chicago anyway?

Note: I see we have an Arsenal fan in the house: Its time to chant, for all you footie lovers out there.....

If I had the wings of a sparrow,

If I had the arse of a crow,

I'd fly over Arsenal Tomorrow,

And s**t on the bastards below, below,

S**t on the bastards below.....

Yid army,

Yid army,

Yid army,

I    -    O    I    -    O

We are the Tottenham boys

I    -    O    I    -    O

We are the Tottenham boys

And if you are a Arsenal fan

Surrender or you'll die

Cos we all follow the Tottenham

Note: I take my footie seriously...despite my fatness and age, Im going to England to attend a Millwall match (No one Likes us, we dont care) and I'm going to riot and get banned for life =D

Eat it Gunners! Your manager is a Frog!

Wild...dude, you're harshing my mellow.

A Spur fan, eh...well, I'll overlook it this time due to the killer deal on the 1911 you gave me during the group buy on THR a few years ago.

We'll see how good the Spurs are when they play the Gunners...they could barely keep-up with Bolton today.

Sawendthreaddriftdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42:37 AM »
Speaking from experience, I lived in the Salt Lake Valley when the Olympics were held in SLC.  Infrastructure was built, and Utah's reputation as a world class skiing destination was spread globally.  From my perspective, Utah got nothing but good out of it.
I'm naive to how the whole olympic process goes, though, but imagine that someone's backs got scratched in the process.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2009, 07:47:06 AM »
Speaking from experience, I lived in the Salt Lake Valley when the Olympics were held in SLC.  Infrastructure was built, and Utah's reputation as a world class skiing destination was spread globally.  From my perspective, Utah got nothing but good out of it.
I'm naive to how the whole olympic process goes, though, but imagine that someone's backs got scratched in the process.

Utah may have gotten some good.

However, even NPR points out no Olympic city has ever gotten a "profit" from an Olympic games:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113351145

Some claim they did, but they do so by leaving out federal and/or state and/or local spending and only counting the benefits.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »
Chicago's chances for the Games may have been beaten to death like a certain 16 year-old honor student.  Complete with chuckles from bystanders videotaping.

Among the few entities I hold in lower regard than lacy-panty internationalists are thugs.  Just above thugs are tittilated onlookers to gross injustice and inhumanity.

This was like watching the Iran-Iraq war writ small.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »
Obama getting involved fits perfectly with his Chicago brand of politics.  I feel sure a lot of his cronies would benfit significantly if the Olympics were held in the Windy City.  For my part, I'm glad they chose Rio.  The pick pockets should be real happy with the influx of foreigners there when the time comes.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »
Well, it didn't take long for "It's Bush's Fault" to surface. A few thoughts based on the article:

1) Hey Jesse, I believe it was the Clinton Administration who first did not sign Kyoto.

2) Hey Jesse, I believe Chicago was chosen as a potential Olympic site during the Bush Administration, so wouldn't failing be from anti-Obama sentiment?

3) Hey Jesse, why don't you go back to finding some white guy in Kansas to blame for the murder of a black teen, by other black teens, while black people were videotaping the incident and laughing like they were watching a UFC event. Chicago has plenty of problems to keep you occupied.

4) Hey Rep. Mendoza -- maybe Rio thought it was "mean spirited" that there's never been an Olympics in South America.

5) Hey Rep Schakowsky, were you talking to the representative from Iran by some chance?

6) Hey Gibbs -- you almost got it right. You had the chance to be gracious in your new era of bipartisanship, but you still had to get a little dig in.

--------------
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1804170,CST-NWS-olyresent03.article

Chicago torpedoed by anti-U.S. sentiment?
Comments

October 3, 2009
BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter apallasch@suntimes.com

Some Chicago officials say anti-American resentment likely played a role in Chicago's Olympic bid dying in the first round Friday.

President Obama could not undo in one year the resentment against America that President Bush and others built up for years, they said.
RELATED STORIES
NOT EVEN THE SECOND CITY

"There must be" resentment against America, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, near the stage where he had hoped to give a victory speech in Daley Center Plaza. "The way we [refused to sign] the Kyoto Treaty, we misled the world into Iraq. The world had a very bad taste in its mouth about us. But there was such a turnaround after last November. The world now feels better about America and about Americans. That's why I thought the president's going was the deal-maker."

State Rep. Susana Mendoza (D-Chicago) said she saw firsthand the resentment against America five years ago when she was in Rio de Janeiro. "I feel in my gut that this vote today was political and mean-spirited," she said.

"I travel a lot. ... I thought we had really turned a corner with the election of President Obama. People are so much more welcoming of Americans now. But this isn't the people of those countries. This is the leaders still living with outdated impressions of Americans."

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) said she was approached by a consul general at the plaza as they waited for word Friday. "He said ... he was hearing that there wasn't enough time for Barack Obama to dispel the old image. ... But I don't know if that's it."

Presidential press secretary Robert Gibbs rejected the notion that the vote was influenced by the United States' standing: "No, I think you saw both at the U.N. General Assembly, you saw at the G20 last week ... I think virtually every measure of our standing in the world is different than it was just this time last year. So I don't read too much of that into this."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."