Author Topic: jfruser's Ugly Shotgun  (Read 10575 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: jfruser's Ugly Shotgun
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
Do NOT follow the light...   :lol:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
Great, more 4-Rules violations.

What?  You guys can't see his finger on the trigger?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »
All I can see is a warp core breach in progress.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »
That was the third try, my kid wouldn't hold the camera still!
 [popcorn]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
for the rust 0000 steel wool and about any light oil, WD-40 or Kroil would be fine.
As for a finish, since it is going to be a beater trunk monkey then why waste money on anything more costly than Krylon?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 12:11:23 PM »
if you need to go coarser on the steel wool(i would try not to on a gun), don't forget the gloves. rusting splinters stink. >:D

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
Maybe start off with some bronze wool.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
No, first its wool wool, THEN bronze wool, then iron wool then finally steel wool.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »
Okay, finally got it together with the Knoxx cop stock after letting the trigger group soak in mineral spirits a week or so (it was nasty).  Lubed up with Mobil-1 synthetic 20W-50, my lube & protectant of choice for most long arms.

It cleaned up pretty darned well.  I had gone after all gunk & rust earlier with a bronze brush & mineral spirits and did so again with a bronze brush & Mobil-1.  It went from looking "neglected" (bad LEO, bad, bad!)  to "well-used."

It points well, much better than my buddy's Mossy 500 with the Knoxx Spec Ops stock.  I get a good line up with the receiver, bbl, & bead without having to move my head about.  It is also much smoother after its thorough cleaning.

I still need to order the forearm and get some trigger group drift pins, as it came with a sidesaddle that does not work with the Cop Stock folded.  The sidesaddle uses hex-head threaded screws that terminate in the sidesaddle.  I'll also order a new mag spring to replace the partially-rusted original.

I must say that I was impressed at the 870's simple design & take-down.  I had it tore down in minutes and only took a little first-timer fiddling to get it back together.

I'll get some more pics after the forearm comes in.

I have one of those Federal bird shot bulk pacs from Wally World waiting for it and I plan on patterning it with my Usual Suspects of buck shot.  (Here's hoping it like Rem 2 3/4" 000 like my Rem 1100 does.)

One thing I have noticed about pump shotguns, especially those with shorter forearms to facilitate LEO use: my support arm goes WAY out there to get a grip on the forearm.  I generally prefer a grip closer to the receiver.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:22:59 PM by jfruser »
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »
I like the longer foregrip on my Mossberg 500 Regal than teh new "combat" one on the 500A.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »

I have one of those Federal bird shot bulk pacs from Wally World waiting for it and I plan on patterning it with my Usual Suspects of buck shot.  (Here's hoping it like Rem 2 3/4" 000 like my Rem 1100 does.)

I got turned on to the Federal buckshot with the Flite-Control wad.  It's 00, so slightly smaller pellets than your 000...  But the patterns.  Lord have mercy.  Roughly 1/3 the size of buckshot without the special wad.  It's not really much more expensive than the regular buck either.   Seriously.   Regular 00 out of my 18 1/2" 870?  15 inch pattern at 15 yards.   The federal stuff?  5 inch patterns.  At 5-7 yards, it's still a solid column of shot.  Hits almost like a slug.    Matter of fact, read up on a police shooting using the Federal fodder.   Cop shot the bad guy in the hip.  BG lived, got to the ER.  ER doc (major metro area, if I remember correctly) thought the guy had been shot with a slug instead of buckshot. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »
I got turned on to the Federal buckshot with the Flite-Control wad...

I smell an excuse to pattern both my 1100 & 870 with some Fed fodder.  I have stuck with the Rem stuff as it is easy to find at Academy, Wally World, etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »
I just got a light for $40 at the gun show for my Mossberg.

I've got the same light on my XD, and I'm very happy with it.  FWIW, $32 from Amazon, shipping included.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.