Author Topic: Oops  (Read 10548 times)

Jim147

• friends
Oops
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
Okay Ivan, who thought it would be funny to tie the life raft line to the prop. ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8675978.stm

Ten suspected Somali pirates captured by the Russian navy last week may have perished after their release, a defence source in Moscow has told reporters.
Marines seized them during a dramatic operation to free a hijacked Russian oil tanker far from shore, killing an 11th suspect in the gun battle.
They were released in an inflatable boat without navigational equipment.
Within an hour, contact was lost with the boat's radio beacon, the defence source said.
"It seems that they all died," the unnamed source was quoted as saying by Russia's Interfax news agency.
Russia initially said the 10 pirates would be taken to Moscow to face criminal charges over the hijacking, but they were released instead because there were not sufficient legal grounds to detain them, the defence ministry in Moscow said.
The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, to which Russia is a signatory, gives sovereign nations the right to seize and prosecute pirates.
Western officials were very surprised when the Russian authorities dropped plans to put the pirates on trial in Moscow, the BBC's Richard Galpin reports from Moscow.
Now there is even more surprise the pirates were set adrift in the Indian Ocean to make their own way home, he adds.
Unknown factors
The tanker, the Moscow University, was seized on 5 May some 350km (190 nautical miles) off the Yemeni island of Socotra as it sailed for China, carrying crude oil worth $50m (£33m).

Marines from the Russian warship Marshal Shaposhnikov stormed the ship the following day, freeing the 23 Russian crew members who had locked themselves in a safe room after disabling their ship.
Cdr John Harbour, spokesman for the EU naval force in Somalia, Navfor, said the Russian navy had been within its rights to release the suspects.
It was, he told the BBC News website, impossible to judge their situation without knowing the details of the boat - described as an inflatable by Russian sources - and the radio beacon they had been given.
It was quite likely the Russian ship lost radar contact with the boat after an hour, Cdr Harbour said, while the signal from the beacon would depend on the strength of its battery and whether or not it could be detected by satellite.
The Navfor spokesman suggested the loss of navigational equipment would not necessarily be critical if there was an experienced mariner among the 10 men on the boat.
Stressing that nothing could be said for sure without knowledge of the boat, the weather and other factors, he noted that pirates had been known to operate up to 1,200 nautical miles (2,200km) from the Somali coast.

That's one way to deal with the problem.

But what is Hizbul Islam up to?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »
IMO, the Russians shot them, dumped them overboard, and then went with the life-raft story as middle-ground story with plausible deniability.

This way the Russians don't look "soft" to the people they need to look tough/hard for, but could avoid international backlash for just executing them right there, right then.

It's really about the same thing anyway, putting them adrift in a raft. Shooting is kinder. Not that I'm all broke up about it either way.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
I think I'll buy a fifth of Russian Vodka to show my support of the Russian marines!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:33 PM »
I really enjoy the Russian approach to dealing with problems like terrorists/hostages/pirates.  :cool:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »
Brings new meaning to the expression "...without a paddle."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:59:02 AM »
It says they were released in an inflatable boat, but it doesn't say anything about it being inflated.  :D
For entertainment purposes only.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
It says they were released in an inflatable boat, but it doesn't say anything about it being inflated.  :D
Air is extra.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 02:09:11 AM »
the pirates probably attacked the raft after they were on it. :angel:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 02:14:01 AM »

You win.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 02:16:06 AM »
You can always depend on the Russians to behave exactly like Russians. 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »

It also doesn't say anything about the pissed off freighter crew waiting for the warship to leave so they could run the raft over. Shot, uninflated raft or run over, none of which would really surprise me with the Russians and I can't say I feel bad for the pirates.  :angel:

I'm actually more surprised some other nation hasn't gone ape #$&% on the pirates and started hanging them from yard arms again.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:37:41 AM »
I really enjoy the Russian approach to dealing with problems like terrorists/hostages/pirates.  :cool:

Especially firing MLRS batteries at hostage-takers and hostages, right?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
<vader>"Send a distress signal, and then inform the senate that all aboard were killed"</vader>
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »
Especially firing MLRS batteries at hostage-takers and hostages, right?

pumping sleeping gas into the theater and killing the hostages was a pretty aggressive approach
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »
pumping sleeping gas into the theater and killing the hostages was a pretty aggressive approach

I was rather critical of that plan as well, but some others pointed out some things to me.

1. The main problem was that the Russian .mil would not tell medical/EMS on scene what was used. (Gaseous Fentanyl) and had they known, they could have pushed Narcan or equivalent and saved 90% or more of the hostages.

2. I can't remember if Beslan was before or afterward, but the Chechen's are not for show. They'd have killed as many if not more/all of the hostages. They knew what they were doing and were interspersed with the hostages with machine guns and explosives at the ready.

If they'd simply told the first responders what the gas was, it would have been a HUGE win for them. Stereotypically Russian of them. They're very decisive in terms of taking strong action, but are utterly paralyzed with CYA and bureaucratic authoritarianism the rest of the time.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
I fully expect a Beslan on COTUS if the non-crazy muslim community can't or won't ferret out the kra-zees in their midst.

In that case, I sure hope parents & others nearby have CCW, because early and aggressive "right the &^^% now" response by the real "first responders" is the only way to prevent a massacre, once the attackers have time to set up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:07:09 AM »
If they do it fully Beslan style, I really doubt any CCW'ers are going to be able to stop them. Dozen guys in body armor with rifles and explosives vs sumdood with a snubby.... Might take one or two out, but stopping the attack? I doubt it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:04 AM »
Hell, half a dozen guys with AR-15s or AKs or similar, slung, chambered, and ready to go could hardly stop that. :(
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »
If they do it fully Beslan style, I really doubt any CCW'ers are going to be able to stop them. Dozen guys in body armor with rifles and explosives vs sumdood with a snubby.... Might take one or two out, but stopping the attack? I doubt it.

Sumdood dropping one or two before going down is still preferable than Sumdood just getting hosed and not taking any of the belligerents with him. Enough Sumdoods with snubbys and the belligerents are going to get whittled down a bit before the authorities show up.

*shrug* I guess I'm just for a more proactive self-defense approach than the current "curl up in a fetal position and pray" tactic being espoused by the gun-control fanatics.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »
Sumdood dropping one or two before going down is still preferable than Sumdood just getting hosed and not taking any of the belligerents with him. Enough Sumdoods with snubbys and the belligerents are going to get whittled down a bit before the authorities show up.

*shrug* I guess I'm just for a more proactive self-defense approach than the current "curl up in a fetal position and pray" tactic being espoused by the gun-control fanatics.

I'm pretty sure I never advocated being helpless or not fighting back. Merely observed that a Beslan style attack has no realistic chance of being stopped by random passers-by, no matter how well armed they may be.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure I never advocated being helpless or not fighting back. Merely observed that a Beslan style attack has no realistic chance of being stopped by random passers-by, no matter how well armed they may be.

Yup, I got that. Some things are just so bad ju-ju that there isn't much to be done, but I'm not about to let that deter me from trying.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »
Yup, I got that. Some things are just so bad ju-ju that there isn't much to be done, but I'm not about to let that deter me from trying.

Indeed.

I'm still surprised they haven't tried that here, but I guess it's easier for Chechens to access the Rodina than for radical Muslim groups to get enough sufficiently motivated folks over here.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:25 AM »
Indeed.

I'm still surprised they haven't tried that here, but I guess it's easier for Chechens to access the Rodina than for radical Muslim groups to get enough sufficiently motivated folks over here.

That whole Ocean thing kinda has that effect. It's harder to get a plane or ocean going ship than to swipe a pickup and drive. :)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:21 AM »

Sumdood may be enough to screw up their plan just enough.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.