Author Topic: particleboard subfloors?  (Read 10573 times)

zahc

• friend
particleboard subfloors?
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
In my house I want to convert one of the upstairs giant closets into a washroom so I was going to put down vinyl tile. I pulled the carpet up and found particleboard....not OSB but the actual particleboard. I had no idea that people used that stuff for floors and it kind of scares me. But anyway, I don't think that vinyl tile will stick to particleboard, actually I don't think anything sticks to it, so what are my options for flooring over it?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: particleboard subfloors?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
prime it (before obviously) if you go over it

there are grades of particle board mdf/hdf  some is ok for flooring  not usually my first choice
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
I believe there's this stuff called "lull" (unsure of spelling) (ETA, luan :facepalm:) which is apparently very finely sanded thin plywood sheets. I know a coworker was talking about putting it down before he was going to put down linoleum, because he had OSB floors.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:16:25 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
luan perhaps?  works great stagger joints many staples set below surface
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
luan perhaps?  works great stagger joints many staples set below surface

Luan, that's it! I knew I was struggling to find the term for it.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »
i will confess i did the same thing  could not for the life of me remember name.  and i've put down a lot of sheets in the last 15 years. reminded me of forgetting my wifes first name for 5 mins at a party, and i was sober

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
I find the behavior of tau neutrinos to be particularly fascinating.

Wait, what were we talking about?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
I find the behavior of tau neutrinos to be particularly fascinating.

Wait, what were we talking about?

I've been having a lot of memory trouble lately, and it's scary. I'm only 22. Was trying to "exercise" my brain last night in an effort to stay awake, and I couldn't remember the standard grain weights of common 7.62x39 rounds. Had to look them up today.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:12:54 PM by Avenger29 »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I first read the title as "subatomic particleboards."

123gr for military FMJ, aren't they?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:12:22 PM »
Yes.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:03 PM »
My house has 3/4 inch particleboard over 3/4 inch plywood for the subfloors.  This stuff ain't gittin' the job done.  My floor has all sorts of ripples and soft spots. 

I can only assume that the particle board adds little to nothing in the way of structure or strength (it crumbles in the hand when I pry it up) and the single sheet of plywood isn't enough on its own.  As I go through the house remodeling, I've been pulling up the particle board and replacing it with an additional sheet of proper plywood.  It seems to make a big difference.  The floors I've redone feel solid, the ones I haven't done don't.

Anyway, I would suggest that if you have the subfloor exposed, you take the opportunity to put some real wood down.  It's cheap and easy and quick, and you won't have to wonder whether your vinyl will stick to it.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »
My house has 3/4 inch particleboard over 3/4 inch plywood for the subfloors.  This stuff ain't gittin' the job done.  My floor has all sorts of ripples and soft spots. 

I can only assume that the particle board adds little to nothing in the way of structure or strength (it crumbles in the hand when I pry it up) and the single sheet of plywood isn't enough on its own.  As I go through the house remodeling, I've been pulling up the particle board and replacing it with an additional sheet of proper plywood.  It seems to make a big difference.  The floors I've redone feel solid, the ones I haven't done don't.

Anyway, I would suggest that if you have the subfloor exposed, you take the opportunity to put some real wood down.  It's cheap and easy and quick, and you won't have to wonder whether your vinyl will stick to it.

I absolutely hate particle board...I especially bemoan it's appearance in furniture.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »

Dang, that hurls.  I'd think taking a contract out on the general contractor completely justified. 

My house was built in 1959 and has all sorts of issues.  Subflooring is not one of them, being redwood planks on top of pier & beam.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »
i was sober

That was your problem  :P   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
i bet gluing, and nailing a layer of OSB. over top would reinforce it real good. might not be code though. [tinfoil]

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
My house has 3/4 inch particleboard over 3/4 inch plywood for the subfloors.

Wow. Maybe that's what I have...I can see that the particle board is 3/4 by sticking things down the cracks, but I assumed the particleboard was forming the subfloor proper. Maybe it's on top of some other plywood.

I kind of decided, since the ajoining room was carpeted as well all in one piece, that it's no real loss to put down some 1/2" plywood and put sticky tile on that. It will only make the transition from the carpet to the tile that much flatter, and 2 sheets of plywood fit in the room perfectly.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »
i bet gluing, and nailing a layer of OSB. over top would reinforce it real good. might not be code though. [tinfoil]

Code doesn't even address the underlayment. All the code cares about is the actual subfloor. 3/4" plywood should be good to go even if the joists or trusses are spaced 24" on center. OSB would probably work, too, but I hate OSB and would never trust it for a subfloor. Or a roof. Wall sheathing -- maybe for sheds and detached garages. But it meets code.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 02:53:39 AM »
My house has 3/4 inch particleboard over 3/4 inch plywood for the subfloors.

This is how we were taught to build a standard floor when I took building trades in high school.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:23 AM »
Particleboard in a bathroom sounds like a bad combo.  Think wet particleboard.....not good.

I'd rip it out and put in real plywood.  I hate OSB almost as much as I hate particleboard. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
heck i'd rip it out, install cement board on the floor, install a 4 inch floor drain, then epdm line it 4 foot up the walls.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
heck i'd rip it out, install cement board on the floor, install a 4 inch floor drain, then epdm line it 4 foot up the walls.

got kids? >:D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
and dogs
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »
you'd like my shower area then 5 x5 tiled to ceiling including ceiling 2 floor drains 1 1/2 and 2 inch, 3 shower heads one hand held 2 separate supply circuits one 1/2 inch 1 3/4 inch home run

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »
This is how we were taught to build a standard floor when I took building trades in high school.
Does this make for a sound subfloor?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 03:13:07 PM »
you'd like my shower area then 5 x5 tiled to ceiling including ceiling 2 floor drains 1 1/2 and 2 inch, 3 shower heads one hand held 2 separate supply circuits one 1/2 inch 1 3/4 inch home run

Moar tile!  And drainz!

My BIL thought I was daffy for wanting to tile up to the 8' ceiling.  SWMBO compromised for us and we tiled up only to the lowered ceiling in the tub/shower, 7'.  I then asked, "Can we put tile on the drop ceiling?  If you tile it, you don;t have to paint it.

Yep, any custom built home of mine will have a floor drain in all the bathrooms, utility room, and kitchen right under the sink and/or dishwasher.  I also want one in the garage, but some codes preclude it, IIRC.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton