Author Topic: they didn't watch survivorman or read "how to stay alive in the woods"  (Read 10550 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
http://www.pullpal.com/

I've been looking at those.  I did just buy a fancy pants come-along since I'm too cheap to buy a real winch right now.  Even with a real bumper mounted winch it isn't always enough or in the right place.  http://www.wyeth-scott.com/models.asp  I got the 3 ton model with the synthetic winch rope.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Please explain:

I thought the differences between different GPS devices were based on programming, not hardware? Don't all of them work on the same principle? Wouldn't it be possible to have both a 'car GPS' program and a 'hiking' GPS program on the same device? Why two devices?

Okay, speaking as someone who has experience with car, hiking/personal, and aviation GPSes...yes, they all operate on the same principle of GPS sat nav.

The difference is in the programming and form factor of the device. portable car GPSes have large road (and point of interest) databases to draw on and a form factor (square or rectangular screen 4" or larger) that is great for using while driving. They typically are simple to use, touchscreen only.

It was once common to have a GPS unit that had car nav, land nav, and maybe marine nav on one device due to the expense of the GPS unit, typically in the form factor of a hiking type GPS. Now, the units are so cheap you can have dedicated units for each use and set up for the way you prefer each- big touchscreen for the car, wrist mount or handheld with rubber grip for hiking/land use.

But even a dedicated hiking GPS isn't going to help when civilization is 50 miles away and barren wilderness is between you and civilization and you have no nav or survival skills or commo to call someone (most people only have cell phones. Who you gonna call when there is no service to speak of and no towers in the area?). The hiking GPS shows where you are, where you want to go, and the course to that point and what's between you and your objective. You'll still need to know how to cope in the woods to utilize that info.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
My question is....where in the hell were they going?   ???

the Hastings Cutoff?

"It's good, though..."

MicroBalrog

• friend
It was once common to have a GPS unit that had car nav, land nav, and maybe marine nav on one device due to the expense of the GPS unit, typically in the form factor of a hiking type GPS. Now, the units are so cheap you can have dedicated units for each use and set up for the way you prefer each- big touchscreen for the car, wrist mount or handheld with rubber grip for hiking/land use.

What about the GPS components that are now available for smartphones and tablets? Can these be reprogrammed (perhaps with one of those 'applet' things that I have no knowledge about) to carry different types of GPS programming on one device?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

stevelyn

• friend
Darwin wins again.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Wanna bet that she said "Albert, I told you to ask for directions."
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Boomhauer

• friends
What about the GPS components that are now available for smartphones and tablets? Can these be reprogrammed (perhaps with one of those 'applet' things that I have no knowledge about) to carry different types of GPS programming on one device?

Very likely.

Consider that these people in the article are very likely not the most tech-savvy people around. Much like my (evil) grandmother, who I have seen drive in circles because the crappy, cheap GPS system she got off of QVC was not refreshing fast enough to follow through the turns it told her to take (it also took 15 mins to lock onto a sat signal). Or my aunt who won't go anywhere anymore without following her GPS system.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Yes, but the reason I have asked these questions is because I am considering my own tablet purchase.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Much like my (evil) grandmother, who I have seen drive in circles because the crappy, cheap GPS system she got off of QVC was not refreshing fast enough to follow through the turns it told her to take (it also took 15 mins to lock onto a sat signal). Or my aunt who won't go anywhere anymore without following her GPS system.

Much of this can be avoided, if the GPS allows one to see maps, instead of just following directions. I don't know why so many people let GPS/Mapquest-type websites just tell them where to go, when they could just look at the map and plot their own route. Maybe I just don't trust computers to do my thinking for me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
With smart phones, tablets, etc. it's all in the software interface regarding how you use the GPS. On my smart phone, I have the standard Google Nav app, which is mostly for driving directions, though it will display Google Earth and take lat/long (but you lose Google Earth when you lose 3G). I also have other mapping apps, like OruxMaps, that let you download and store sat imagery, topo maps, etc. for wilderness travel. I even use it with Air Nautical Chart backgrounds at work to record flight transects, and use an app called Navionics for boat navigation. There are many more similar apps and software packages out there. They simply call out to the phone's GPS for the NMEA string to get position.

Tablets will work the same way. Many standalone GPS units also let you switch between mapping interfaces for roads, trails, water, or what have you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
Much of this can be avoided, if the GPS allows one to see maps, instead of just following directions. I don't know why so many people let GPS/Mapquest-type websites just tell them where to go, when they could just look at the map and plot their own route. Maybe I just don't trust computers to do my thinking for me.

Simple answer: Some people have difficulties with visual thinking. Same reason some people prefer to ask for directions rather than use a map.

Boomhauer

• friends

I covered that earlier. And every car GPS system I have used allows you to see the maps, yet we have people that actually follow a GPS like you see in the commercials that mock GPS. They just don't get it.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
I thought the differences between different GPS devices were based on programming, not hardware? Don't all of them work on the same principle? Wouldn't it be possible to have both a 'car GPS' program and a 'hiking' GPS program on the same device? Why two devices?

It's absolutely possible, and fairly common on anything GPS-capable that isn't a GPS.  (And on hacked GPSs with an OS that can run other apps.)  Normally, most car GPSs only give routes by roads; there's no heading arrow, cross-track error indicator, and often no easy way to enter coordinates rather than addresses.  This also makes them virtually useless if the place you want to get to has no address, or has an address that isn't properly located on its internal maps.  Hiking/marine/aircraft GPSs will happily show you the most direct route to coordinates, and cough up your current coordinates much more easily.

Besides, having two devices (plus skill) provides redundancy.  I prefer to get any critical information from at least two sources.  Especially when severely fatigued, it's possible to have a "senior moment" and flip a bearing 180 degrees, forget which direction the sun rises, etc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:58:34 PM by KD5NRH »

mtnbkr

• friend

Maps aren't always up to date.  My house and street have been here nearly 20 years, yet there are STILL maps being produced that don't show my street (they show the connecting street).  Mapquest/GoogleMaps/GPS all show my house and can provide directions to it.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
Maps aren't always up to date.  My house and street have been here nearly 20 years, yet there are STILL maps being produced that don't show my street (they show the connecting street).  Mapquest/GoogleMaps/GPS all show my house and can provide directions to it.

I wasn't talking about paper maps.

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Chris

Mapquest shows my mailing address/911 address 5 miles north and Google shows it 3 miles west of the actual location. If I enter the old street address it comes up right. I've had the 911/mail address for 15+ years.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Don't some GPS have an off-road travel function? 
Besides that, why would you leave a perfectly good roadway in this case?  Snow?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
Seems to me like this is a clear case of folks getting in over their heads and panicking.  Took a couple of wrong turns while trying to take the scenic route.  ended up on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.  Got stuck.  Now at this point, as we teach our Cub Scouts, Rule #1 is to stay put.  They had shelter (I think it was a mini-van), hopefully had survival gear, and were in no real danger from their surroundings to make the need to evacuate on foot essential.  It appears that after a day or two, panic set in and he went for help.  I'm guessing he fell (as speculated above), or got more lost and fell victim to the environment.

I'd bet a good chunk of my next paycheck that every member of this board packs a little something extra for a road trip.  Minimum: fire starting gear, knives, tools, some food, water and containers, and at least one firearm.  Heck, I pack this gear for a road trip on the Interstate.

Hope she gets better, and hope that his passing was as painless as possible.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Oh, and as far as a pullpal.....
if you have room, a boat anchor with a length of chain can do the same thing. 

One of the big fluke types, though. Not the mushroom lake anchors.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend

I'd bet a good chunk of my next paycheck that every member of this board packs a little something extra for a road trip.  Minimum: fire starting gear, knives, tools, some food, water and containers, and at least one firearm.  Heck, I pack this gear for a road trip on the Interstate.

I will PM you a mailing address for that "good chunk." I don't usually have any fire-makings in the car.  :P

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I will PM you a mailing address for that "good chunk." I don't usually have any fire-makings in the car.  :P

Oh yes you do. Battery, copper wire, gasoline, oil, seat cushions, a couple of past month copies of "Scapegoat Magazine" on the floorboard...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Anyone who needs GPS to find their way around had best stay inside city limits.
Ayup.
I'll take a road map over GPS any day.
As far as off-the road GPS- it doesn't work too well in heavily forested areas. Case in point- I hunt in Northern WI which is heavily forested/tamarack swamp. I rarely ever see a hunter anywhere that is beyond being withing sight of a road or logging trail. Walk 1/4 mile, and its like I have 10,000 acres all to myself :laugh:
The only place I love GPS is for fishing for marking structure.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
Oh yes you do. Battery, copper wire, gasoline, oil, seat cushions, a couple of past month copies of "Scapegoat Magazine" on the floorboard...

I also have a knife, and have made/used a bow drill before.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
A pair of ice skates, a soccer ball, and some video tape can be useful, too  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends

And that little button-thingy in the dash that gets really hot when you push it. :facepalm:  Let's not overlook the obvious.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!