Author Topic: Cat in a tree-need advice  (Read 10554 times)

onions!

Cat in a tree-need advice
« on: September 05, 2007, 01:10:47 PM »
Please,no "what caliber for treed kitties?"I have that option covered.

Six o'clock this morning I took my dogs outside to do their thing.I heard a faint,pitiful meowing.I thought that the guy behind me had brought home a puppy last night but could have been mistaken,it was late.I figured,as it was still dark,that the cat was just left outside & wanted in.

I just arrived home & took the dogs back out.This time I found the noise.There is an adult cat about twenty feet up in the weed that passes for a tree in my neighbors yard,along the lot line.I have no expierience w/cats but seem to remember that they can (& will eventually) get themselves down.It's moving it's front half-I can't see the back.

I guess the only thing that really bothers me is that it's been in that tree for at least 12 hours,w/o a whole lot of shade,& the temperature was bumping 90 today.

Any cat Swamis care to weigh in on whether an otherwise healthy cat(presumption,mine) will likely remove itsownself from a 20-foot-up perch? 

Paddy

Re: Cat in a tree-need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »
Any cat Swamis care to weigh in on whether an otherwise healthy cat(presumption,mine) will likely remove itsownself from a 20-foot-up perch?

Don't worry about it.  The cat will eventually come down, when it wants to, as long as there are no dogs or other threats around.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »
Please,no "what caliber for treed kitties?"I have that option covered. 

I think you know what to do.   angel
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:18:35 PM »
"Cat: The Other White Meat."
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 01:19:08 PM »
Ever see a cat skeleton in a tree?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 02:54:02 PM »
Call the local cat lady... er... cat rescue shelter, and alert the media. The fire department will be along shortly. In the event they did not bring welding gloves, have a bit of gauze and whiskey handy.

Sell tickets.

Videotape, and upload for money.

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
Throw onions at it?  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »
It'll come down when it gets hungry, usually. They get a bit scared to climb down sometimes when they look back down, but "I'm hungry!!!!!" will win out over that. Remember, our housecats are generally descended from desert cats, so they don't need to drink so much in a pinch.

If you really want to get it down, and it's a thin, reedy tree, surround the tree with people holding blankets taut and shake the tree, be ready to have the blanket under it. It'll bounce and dash off, and nobody gets scratched, and the cat will be fine.

Just look with binoculars to make sure it's not actually jammed in the crook of a branch or something, if it is, the fire department and a ladder will be needed.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »
Good suggestions, but wayyyyy too complicated.  Take a chainsaw to the base of the tree.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »
Hose.  It'll come down.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
perfect job for a halberd

or if you are feeling your inner mcguiver

toss a rope over the closest branch and haul a basket up there
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »
Harold, in 1997 my cat got herself 20 feet up a tree.  My roommate and I threw a rope over the branch and attached a cardboard box to the rope.  My cat figured out what to do and got into the box.  We lowered her to the ground without a problem.

The second time she got herself up the same tree, I said, "You're on your own, stupid!"  She got herself down about an hour later, and never climbed a tree again.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 04:28:42 AM »
On three or four occasions, my dumb-ass cat Beamer got himself stuck on my neighbors' roofs (always on a school day, always on a day I'd been up late procrastinating, the bastard). If you go to the cat, bring some kind of container (like a box) for it to climb down in to, where it can't see out. That'll help it chill out, I think.

~BakerMike

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 04:48:34 AM »
If you do send a box up the tree, try putting some catnip in it.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 07:09:38 AM »
Ever see a cat skeleton in a tree?

Maybe on Halloween.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 09:28:26 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »
Remember, there is no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of high explosives.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 02:33:04 PM »
Food at the base, it'll come down.  It's claws got it up there, they'll get it down.

My preferences

1. wait it out
2. hose
3. chainsaw if you don't like the tree
4. explosives are fun
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 02:41:28 PM »

Man, that's boring!

Star Trek(R) tractor beam.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
Build a treehouse. 

The cat is obviously waiting for his palace in the sky.  That's why he hasn't come down yet. 

In fact, he's probably on his own forum right now, posting a thread titled "My human slave isn't building my treehouse fast enough - need advice".  His cat buddies are doubtless posting all sorts of violent and amusing ways to deal with uncooperative human slaves.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

By the way, did you ever get the damn thing out of the tree?
JD

onions!

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »

By the way, did you ever get the damn thing out of the tree?

We had a rather large storm go through today.I'm hoping it got blown out of the tree.I'll find out in an hour.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 11:51:17 AM »

JD

onions!

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »
O.K.,it's gone.

Last night,when I went to check on it the cat had moved down about six feet & over about eight.This morning it had gone from one side of the tree to the other.The woman behind me said that she had been watching it for a couple of days too.Apparently the fact that it wouldn't come down with her Boxer puppy loose in her backyard was beyond her.

Anywhoo,I didn't see a feline carcass impaled on my fence so I can only assume that the heavy storm winds this morning blew it somewheres else.

If the tree had been a proper pine,elm,oak,or any "proper" tree for that matter I would have hauled my fat butt up there & tormented rescued it.As it is,the tree is a nasty weed only good for shading my neighbors yard & dropping purple bird food (& bird turd) on my yard.I'd LOVE to turn it into splinters w/extreme prejedice.

I like the box/basket idea but could never implement it.Reason is,if a dog were dumb enough to get stuck in a tree it'd never be smart enough to climb into the basket.It put's itself into the basket or it stays in the tree again.But,since dogs generally don't climb trees that's an experiment that'll likely never happen.

BTW,280+,if I were to throw fud @ the cat I'd have to change my user name to potatoes! first. laugh