Author Topic: What's military life like?  (Read 10452 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: What's military life like?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 06:26:05 AM »
Would buying a small free weight set at a sporting goods store be a good idea, or is going to an actual gym absolutely necessary?

I've always preferred to be as minimalist as possible, meaning I prefer to rely on equipment I either don't have to travel to or can have with me in some way. (This is why I've always liked push ups, sit ups, etc.)

If you don't talk to a trainer, you can pull something or more seriously injure yourself, or just not get any benefit at all.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
wieght training by its self wont do much but it wont hurt. Since you obviously are "online" there are litteraly millions of resources on the 'net that will give the info you are after but as we have said - burn more calories than you consume. You want minimalist, best exercise for free is to get out and walk. Not some piddly window shopping walk but walk with a purpose 15-20 minutes to cover a mile If you aren't up for seriosu walking yet then get a timer set for 10-15 minutes and walk as fast and hard as you can away from home till the timer goes off then turn around and reset and and head for home and try to beat your outbound time every day try to add a couple of minutes to your outbound time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

member1313

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 06:40:50 AM »
Hm, maybe I should try to go for a decent walk everyday.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 07:41:01 AM »
get started

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 07:58:05 AM »
Psychology.

(Note to those who think they know what psychology is, and how useful the degree is: I don't care, and chances are, you have no idea what you're talking about. Smiley)

Edit: I wouldn't be averse to the idea of continuing my education, and becoming a psychologist for the military. I've read far too many things from veterans returning from war, as well as things written by those closely related to said veteran's regarding their mental health. I really wish I could help them.

Actually, in the military, a psy degree is probably damn useful.  As a leader you have to get inside people's heads.  In military intel, same thing.  What is the other guy thinking?
Plus, with no end in sight to the current war(s), the military will need psychologists to help with PTSD cases.
Get your weight down and finish the degree.  I bet you'll have a good shot at OCS.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 08:15:33 AM »
I don't know about the army or air farce, but the Navy and Marines don't care too much what your degree is in to qualify you for OCS...they only care that you have the degree.  It's mostly an indicator that you can manage your own way through a complicated program successfully. 

With your weight issues, you will have trruble getting into any branch, although the air force might be the most lenient in that regard.

Think of recruit training as several weeks of 24/7 gym class.  Lots of yelling and performance related training.  Nobody else has any program anything like the Marines.  I'm a retired Master Gunnery Sergeant and served a successful 2 yr tour as a DI.  Boot Camp in the Marines is no longer as profanity-laced as "Full Metal Jacket"...but the times have changed from the circa 1970 depicted in the film, too.  I go to sleep at night secure in the knowledge that some where at Paris Island or San Diego MCRD some recruit is about to wet his pants because there's an upset DI about 2 inches from his face, and many of the recruits are going to bed at night wondering "what have I done?" (by enlisting).  It's not everybody's cup of tea, and no hard feelings for not being interested in my Marine Corps.

Best of luck to you, rotunda-body.

Known from coast to coast, almost!

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 08:30:02 AM »
Moondoggie, I'd argue that with you, at least for the Navy. When I was recruiting, they DID care what one's major was in.

Rob, like Jamis said, psych is a good degree to have and for the reasons he mentioned. Finish it off, lose the weight, and go from there. That is unless you really want to join up in the next few months, for whatever reason you choose. You can always finish your degree while in whatever branch you choose and they'll pay the majority of it. It's all on you and up to you as to what you decide and why.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »
2. I'm overweight. I don't want to be the fat guy that can't complete basic training. I intend to work on this before I ever enlist, but will weight be an issue in training? (I assume I'd lose some of it through training, anyhow.) 

In my Basic Training platoon, we had two guys with the last name Martin.  One was thin and pimple-faced, the other was all plump and bald and chubby-like.  So, they became Fat Martin and Skinny Martin.  ]

At first, we doubted that Fat Martin would make it at all.  I think he did too.  He wasn't the only chubby guy in the platoon, but he was probably the least physically fit.  For a while there, he just looked desperate, scared and totally overcome.  They ran him ragged.  But he improved, and his confidence returned.  By the end of the cycle, everybody thought he was just the coolest guy. 

The last time I saw him, he got a sweet, cushy detail at the lake at Fort Hood.  He spent his summers renting boats and meeting girls.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »
2. I'm overweight. I don't want to be the fat guy that can't complete basic training. I intend to work on this before I ever enlist, but will weight be an issue in training? (I assume I'd lose some of it through training, anyhow.) 
I did Air Force back in 2001, I was the fat guy they thought wouldn't complete it.  They timed us for a mile and a half on our second day and I got about 13 of the 15 laps done at 34 minutes.  I ended up getting recycled for some other things, but after 9 weeks of basic (at the time it was normally 6) I was able to meet the 18 minute mile and a half standard at the time. (17:55  undecided)  But they have been getting tougher on the PT side of things from what I hear from the new airmen that come into the squadron.  So it will be useful to actually get started on exercise, but I wouldn't worry about not making it through.  If I can do it... Well....   cheesy

In my Basic Training platoon, we had two guys with the last name Martin.  One was thin and pimple-faced, the other was all plump and bald and chubby-like.  So, they became Fat Martin and Skinny Martin.
We had two guys named Church.  One was white, one was black.  The TI heard us say "black church" about 2 weeks after we started calling them white and black church.  It was pretty funny watching his eyes widen and tell us that we needed to cut it out before HE got in trouble.  laugh

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2007, 02:12:09 AM »
In the Marines you're either light green or dark green.  You don't call someone black, at least not in boot camp.
We had a racist in our platoon, was overheard using "*let's not go there*" by a DI.  The Senior was a skinny, cranky, weathered grunt Staff sgt.  Kicked the racists ass when he heard it.  Only time I saw physical violence directed towards a recruit.  Same guy turned out to be our Honor Graduate, with perfect scores at the range and PFT and a new attitude.  laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2007, 02:30:41 AM »
For me, the hardest things I had to do, was live up to my own expectations.  I spent 5 yrs in the Navy and only got out because they made me.  Honorable discharge under medical conditions, 3 herniated discs in my lower back.

Boot camp is all psychological if you can hang with the physical part.  My Company Commander was a Master Chief Bosuns Mate, SEAL and had 32 yrs in.  We were his last company before retirement.  The other Company Commander was a Chief Boiler Tech, UDT Diver.  I will NEVER forget them, owe them alot for who I turned out to be.  IF you can handle the physical stress they put on you, boot camp is a piece of cake.  Especially for a psych major.

As to which branch to join, it's up to you.  When I went to the recruiting station, I had an appointment with the AF guy, he never showed.  The Marine recruiter wasn't interested in talking to me but the 2 Navy recruiters were and thats where I ended up.  The branch you join depends on what you want out of it.  Talk to as many people as you can from each branch.  All have their good and bad points and no one but you can make the right decision for you.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2007, 09:34:40 AM »
The Air Force (what some derisively call the Err Farce) has yearly physical fitness evaluations, in which one does timed push-ups, sit-ups, and runs 1.5 miles.  You also get taped, weighed, and your height measured to determine BMI before doing the fitness eval. The results of those fitness scores have an impact on yearly promotion/effectiveness reports - nothing new to Army and Marine troops, but if anybody thought they could simply skate in the Air Force these days, you're in for a bit of a shock. The real zinger was that if you didn't have a 32-inch waist, you're already starting out at a disadvantage. They've recently changed to Pass/Fail evaluation, vs. having the Marginal category, but this is still pretty much how they did things before I retired last year:

http://www.af.mil/news/USAF_Fitness_Charts.pdf

Basic Training/ROTC/Academy fitness programs tend to be more stringent than what's administered to Permanent Party.  They've got to turn couch potatoes into AEF deployment-ready troops in a relatively short time. (It ain't your papa's, or grandpa's Air Force anymore...)

Since I couldn't run worth sour owl poop with my flat feet and bowed legs, I got damned good at hammering out a lot of push-ups and sit-ups. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »
Guys, I have to say that one time, I literally took a PT test by correspondence... I was on a TDY job, and got a call... "Chuck, how many situps can you do? Okay... How many pushups? No. Don't ask why. Now, don't fudge this one too much - how fast do you do the two mile? Okay - you just passed your PT test..."

Blog under construction

member1313

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »
Ooh, a test I can pass. Smiley

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »
I can't see a Drill Sgt. constantly yelling, screaming, and berating everyone.

That never happens. Drills are always caring,loving people who just want you to "be the best you can be".

Also, pay attention to commercials because they don't show half the fun, you'll go surfing and camping out with your new friends, jog through neighborhoods in formation while people smile and wave.
You will have an amazing amount of free time, and if a job is difficult because of a shortage or lack of people to assist, your superior officers will be very understanding and cut you some slack.

You believe me, don't you?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

The Viking

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 04:25:51 PM »

That never happens. Drills are always caring,loving people who just want you to "be the best you can be".

Also, pay attention to commercials because they don't show half the fun, you'll go surfing and camping out with your new friends, jog through neighborhoods in formation while people smile and wave.
You will have an amazing amount of free time, and if a job is difficult because of a shortage or lack of people to assist, your superior officers will be very understanding and cut you some slack.

I believe every word you've said, now I want you to tell me about the amazing pay checks that you get, and how much you'll get laid because of the uniform laugh.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »

Were you Pvt. Benjamin's recruiter? grin ROFLMAO!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »

According to rumor, drills are human beings.  I never believed it, personally, but that's what they say.  Had two drills.  One yelled on a regular basis.  Didn't bother anyone at all after the first week.  One almost never yelled.  He scared the ever lovin daylights out of every single one of us.  The entire time.  One kid broke down when the drill stared at him for about 45 seconds straight.  He was transferred out for unspecified reasons about 3/4ths of the way through.  Probably for psych reasons.

BWAHAHAHA 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

member1313

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »

I believe every word you've said, now I want you to tell me about the amazing pay checks that you get, and how much you'll get laid because of the uniform laugh.
haha Tongue

Actually, what is the pay like? I imagine it's not $50,000 per year.

And are the rumors about women liking men in uniforms true? Smiley

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 04:18:08 PM »
Military Pay scales Bear in mind that this is just base pay. You could get additional allowances.

As for the uniforms, it kind of depends on where you are. Sometimes, yes, sometimes, no.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2007, 06:31:43 PM »
And are the rumors about women liking men in uniforms true? Smiley 

I was busing tables at a restaurant where military convoys often stopped in, and overheard two waitresses discussing their attraction to uniformed men.  One said, "It's because you know he has a job."   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 02:37:46 AM »
The pay is bad.  But you always have a roof over your head (or a tent), and something to eat (even if its MRE's).
And there is only one uniform that will always get you laid. 

The other services aren't so lucky....
 cheesy
JD

The Viking

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »
The pay is bad.  But you always have a roof over your head (or a tent), and something to eat (even if its MRE's).
And there is only one uniform that will always get you laid. 

The other services aren't so lucky....
 cheesy
I can't enlist in the USMC, even if I had a green card. They've gotten picky about tattoos it seems. Especially tattoos that are below the elbow, which I have...

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 07:54:43 AM »
I read somewhere that the US military is now offering to remove tattoos at the military's expense from people who are otherwise qualified. As I recall what i read, it is not a very pleasant procedure, and only suitable for relatively small tattooed areas.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The Viking

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 08:08:10 AM »
I read somewhere that the US military is now offering to remove tattoos at the military's expense from people who are otherwise qualified. As I recall what i read, it is not a very pleasant procedure, and only suitable for relatively small tattooed areas.
I've got almost the entire inside of my lower arm tattooed (a beautiful pirate girl) Smiley. Not something that's easily removed. Pain does not bother me though. If you've ever been tattooed on/near the elbow, or on your chest, everything else that can be done to you seems pretty pale in comparison.