Author Topic: What's military life like?  (Read 10454 times)

member1313

Re: What's military life like?
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2007, 05:42:15 AM »
I know you said you don't do much, but what do you do to pass the time between meals until you're off?

It must suck being assigned your unit and getting there. I hate being the "new guy."

The only real fear about joining the military would be to not be accepted. I was always the shy guy without tons of friends, so of course the popular kids in high school made fun of me. It's funny how that never happens in college, but the terrible high school experiences stick with you....

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2007, 06:31:45 AM »
I was and am still fairly reserved, quiet, and perhaps shy. Acceptance doesn't come from being the outgoing one, it comes from being a contributing part of the "team".
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

member1313

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2007, 09:45:29 AM »
How strict are things? Meaning, will you get reamed if your uniform isn't perfect, or anything else there are rules about?

I imagine that differs based on where you are and who you're with.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2007, 10:08:33 AM »
Once on is in the regular part of the military vs being in basic or a training command, things tend to be a little more lax on a day to day basis. It's not hard to keep a squared away uniform, but as far as the Navy goes, one doesn't have to be "inspection ready" at all times. Pretty much, you do your job, be on time to work, you'll get by just fine. It's not all THAT tough after the training phases. It's almost more like a regular job, except for deployments and such.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »
It's not hard to keep a squared away uniform, but as far as the Navy goes, one doesn't have to be "inspection ready" at all times. Pretty much, you do your job, be on time to work, you'll get by just fine. It's not all THAT tough after the training phases. It's almost more like a regular job, except for deployments and such.

QFT

How strict are things? Meaning, will you get reamed if your uniform isn't perfect, or anything else there are rules about?

It is very strict indeed in Basic, but much more relaxed once you get out. With ACUs, keeping your uniform squared away is pretty much just a matter of keeping a proper relationship between your pantlegs and your boots, cutting off loose strings, and making sure that your pockets are closed.  smiley

It's really not that hard to keep people off your back. Just show proper respect, learn everything you can about your job, and always give 110%.
You don't have to be outgoing and effervescent to be accepted. Your squadmates won't care about your personality nearly as much as they will care about whether or not they can trust you to watch their back in a firefight.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »

Yes, yes it does.
Depends on branch of service, then on command or duty station, then on your unit, then on your officers and then on your NCO's.  Anywhere in there someone can choose to be a stickler, or just stick to normal regulation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

member1313

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »
Hm, how does getting issued stuff work?

I imagine the first thing you're given is your uniform at basic, but what about things like rifles, load-bearing equipment, etc. When you arrive at your unit, how do the weapons work? Are they locked up? Do you have it with you at all times?

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2007, 07:51:42 PM »
When you get to reception battalion (a week-long stint right before Basic starts), you get issued most of your ACU and PT uniforms. Once you get to your Basic unit, you will be issued the gear that you will be using while you are there (LBE, helmet/IBA, canteens, etc). This will be turned back in once you graduate. You should also get your class 'A' (dress green) uniform near the end of Basic. Weapons will be drawn within the first week or so, and where you keep it will be up to you company SOP. We locked ours up at night in racks in the center of our PLT bay, and carried them during the day. I've heard of other companies that make recruits carry them 24/7. Weapons are also turned in at the end of the Basic cycle.

Once you get to your duty station, you get issued a bunch of gear/clothing/miscellaneous when you first process into Division, and then you get more after you get to your company. You will be issued a weapon, but it stays locked up in the company arms room unless you are going to a range or some other event where you would need it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »
Rob, how close are you to going in?  Are you pretty much settled on doing this, or what? 

My experience:

Upon arrival at Fort Benning, I went to a reception battalion for about one week.  This is where we got uniforms and dog tags, as well as getting dental exams, insurance, etc.  Then we went to Basic. 

Load-bearing equipment, ponchos, helmets and such (it's called TA-50) were issued by the duty station and returned upon leaving.   That is, I got a set at Fort Benning and turned it back in at the end of Basic (OSUT in my case).  I got some more at Fort Hood (my permanent duty station), and turned it back in when processing out.  My unit (the 2-5 Cav, 1st Cavalry Division) issued additional items, such as gas mask, ruck sack, chemical-protective clothing. 

Weapons:
They will be kept in arms rooms at your unit headquarters (which for us, was downstairs from the barracks).  You will only see it when The Man wants you to (which could be for an hour, a day, a week, and so on).  You will not get ammo for it until it is time to shoot.  When you do have custody of the weapon, you will keep it with you at all times.  In circumstances where this is not possible, the weapon must be left in someone else's care.  You can't just lock it in a vehicle, or in a room, or something. 

Of course, you WILL go to Iraq or Afghanistan at some point, in which case I suppose (I hope) you will have the weapon and the ammo at all times.  Even when flying in a commercial airliner with a machine gun between your knees.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

member1313

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »
I'm not at all certain I'll ever join. There are other things I intend to do before I ever seriously consider joining.

I'm one of those types that likes to get as much information on things beforehand so I'm better prepared to make a decision later on. I hope it's alright I'm asking so many questions; I guess it might look a little...odd.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2007, 08:05:07 PM »
I hope it's alright I'm asking so many questions; I guess it might look a little...odd. 

Odd?  No, this is a big decision.  You should have as much info as possible.  Don't tell anybody, but I'm such a nerd, I went to the library.  Word of warning - don't read David Hackworth's About Face.  It may cause you to go Army Infantry.   smiley

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2007, 09:06:08 PM »
Rob, in basic they'll find stuff wrong with EVERYTHING. That's just the way it is. Real Army's a little different, unless you end up working for a complete twit. Which is possible in the civilian world too. Thing about the Army is that a lot of folks really are fairly motivated.

Also, they don't give you guns to play around with... Possession of The Boomstick keeps coming up with you. Dude, guns are a MINOR part of military life. You'll need one if you get attacked. You'll need one if you're at the pointy end of things (aka "The Front Lines"). The rest of the time, it's something to accidentally drop. And they're heavy. And stuff sticks out in awkward spots.

Answer me this - What do you want to be doing 20 years from now?

Blog under construction

member1313

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2007, 12:34:37 AM »
Living comfortably, being financially secure, and saving for an early retirement. Cheesy

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2007, 08:30:46 AM »
Rob, short of winning the lottery or having a Hollywood megastarlet decide that she can't live without you, how do you plan on making  that happen?

Start working on your strategy.
Blog under construction

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »
Of course, you WILL go to Iraq or Afghanistan at some point, in which case I suppose (I hope) you will have the weapon and the ammo at all times.  Even when flying in a commercial airliner with a machine gun between your knees.   cheesy

I remember flying back to the States the first time.  Stopped in Shannon, Ireland and hit up the duty free store.  Even mil have to go through customs entering the US, so I declared my two bottles of booze and the customs guy demanded the receipt.  "Sure, sir.  Do me a favor and hold this for a second."  I had the customs guy hold my SAW while I searched for a tiny slip of paper in my bags.  Oddly enough, no one saw this as being strange or surreal.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2007, 01:35:55 PM »
I LOVED Shannon! On the way back officers kept buying me drinks.  grin
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2007, 01:51:55 PM »
Rob, short of winning the lottery or having a Hollywood megastarlet decide that she can't live without you, how do you plan on making  that happen?

Start working on your strategy.

My retirement plan involves finding and marrying a rich doctor, preferably female.  The current Mrs. MillCreek is not very supportive of this goal.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2007, 02:36:34 PM »
cheesy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »

I remember flying back to the States the first time.  Stopped in Shannon, Ireland and hit up the duty free store.  Even mil have to go through customs entering the US, so I declared my two bottles of booze and the customs guy demanded the receipt.  "Sure, sir.  Do me a favor and hold this for a second."  I had the customs guy hold my SAW while I searched for a tiny slip of paper in my bags.  Oddly enough, no one saw this as being strange or surreal.

Tower Air?   cheesy

Powderman

« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2007, 08:23:54 PM »
Rob, there are a couple of things you have to resolve.

I'll tell you a story....

When I was age 16, I was in a dilemma.  I wanted to be a cop.  My mother wanted me to be an accountant.  I mentioned this to a friend of the family--a much older gentleman.  He looked at me and said, "Maybe it's time to stop worrying about what your Mom wants you to be, and worry about what YOU want to be".

If you want to enlist, and you're in your 20's, do it.  Do it as soon as possible. 

Basic Training/Boot Camp is hard, no two ways about it.  But, you WILL survive.  Millions of men and women have been through the same thing; you can do it, if you put your mind to it and REFUSE to quit.

About your weight....

LOSE IT.  PERIOD. 

Someone mentioned earlier the one and ONLY key to lose weight.  Less IN, more OUT.

So, you wanna get skinny, eh?  Here ya go.

Start off simple.  Don't worry about weight training yet.

First, WARM UP.  Stretch for at LEAST 15 minutes prior to exercise, especially if you're starting out.  Some side straddle hops (jumping jacks) will get the blood flowing.

Now, for the exercise....Start with the push-up.  The proper way to do it is as follows:

Body aligned, feet together or up to 12 inches apart, head erect.  The body should present an even plane from heels to shoulders.  Hands should be 1 1/2 times your body width apart.

Begin by lowering your body as a unit until your chest is 4 inches from the floor.  Now, raise your body as a unit until your elbows lock.  That is one repetition. 

To start with, concentrate on doing FIVE correct pushups per day.  No waving, both hands on the floor.  If you absolutely must, do ONE correct pushup, rest for about 30 seconds, and do another.  Stay at that level until you can do five correct pushups.

Next is the situp.  You need a partner for this one.

You will practice two types of situps.  Both will involve having your feet flat on the floor, and your legs bent.  For the Army standard, your legs will be bent at a 45 degree angle; they can be slightly apart, and the only part of the foot that MUST stay in contact with the floor is the heel.

For the Marine Corps, your legs will be together, bent at a more acute angle, and your partner will sit on your feet and hold your legs together.

For the Army standard, your hands will be clasped behind your head, fingers interlocked and joined.
For the Marine Corps, your hands will be crossed across your chest.

You will raise your body to the sitting position, until your elbows touch your knees (Army) or until you are past the perfect vertical plane (Marine Corps).  You will then lower your body until your shoulder blades (Marine Corps) or the backs of your hands (Army) touch the ground.

Start with 10 repetitions of this exercise.

Now, you will walk.  You will start with power walking, stepping with a full 40 inch stride, at a quick time cadence (80 steps per minute).  This is a beginning speedwalking pace, but it isn't hard.  Minimize your arm swing, concentrate on walking fast. 

You must ensure that you have shoes that fit properly; do NOT skimp on your shoes.

You will walk for a MINIMUM of 30 minutes for the first two weeks.  Concentrate on raising a GOOD sweat.

These are beginning exercises.  Increase push ups and sit ups by one repetition each week for five cycles; then, increase by two repetitions per week for two weeks.  After that, you will do push ups and situps to muscle failure.

For the cardio, increase your walking to one hour after the first three weeks.  After two weeks more, walk/jog for 30 minutes for two weeks.  Then, walk/jog for an hour for two weeks.  Finally, jog for 30 minutes for two weeks, and then for an hour for two weeks.

After that, start going for distance.  2 miles for two weeks, 2 1/2 for two weeks, 3 miles for two weeks.

Here is your target:

40 to 45 CORRECT pushups, without raising your hands from the ground, non-stop.
50 bent leg situps (Army Standard) or 70 crunches (Marine Corps), nonstop, executed correctly.
3 mile run in 25 minutes.

Edited to add something I forgot...For the Marine Corps, get ready to do some pull ups.  Here's how to train:

Find a bar that will support your weight.  With arms pronated (palms facing away) or supinated (palms toward you) hang on the bar.  Start for ten seconds, three or four times per day.  Then, lengthen the time.  This is for the first week.

In the second week, hang by the bar, and try your best to do at least one pull up.  If this is not possible, do a flexed arm hang.  Again, make your time ten seconds, three sets per day.  Do this for the second week.  Continue the flexed arm hang until you can do a pull up.  (Hint:  If you are exercising in accordance with the schedule I posted earlier, you will find that as you lose weight, your pullups become much easier.  Coincidence?  I think not.   cheesy)

Here is the standard:  You will grasp the bar, palms pronated or supinated.  You will then pull yourself straight upward until your chin clears the bar, with your head and eyes level above the bar.  Then lower yourself until your arms are fully extended.  No bicycling or kipping (giving a bit of a swing to add momentum).  You will practice until you can do at least 10 pullups.

Realistically, it will probably take you 6 months to reach this mark, if you train religiously.  Don't forget to stretch.

If you want to go in, DO IT!  Make the decision yourself.  Don't worry your parents won't disown you, either.

Yours,

Powderman
(career Army NCO)

BridgeWalker

« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »
Do it.  Whatever it takes.  Lose the weight and get in.  You will regret it if you don't.  But be careful.  I messed up my body too badly in judo to be able to get in.  I was gonna be a marine.  Not the marines, but I still daydream about being a JAG when I finish law school.  Can't happen.  I have a kid and still have a screwed up shoulder.  I will regret for the rest of my life that I didn't enlist when I was young enough that I hadn't yet managed to disqualify myself.

member1313

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2007, 06:14:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies, powder and delta.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, delta. Sad

Edit: One thing I wanted to ask:

In addition to push ups and sit ups, are there other exercises I can do for the other parts of my body? I like being able to do exercises that I can do anywhere, as opposed to exercises involving weights or machines.

I used to do a ton of push ups, and the results were pretty obvious (less "flab" on my arms, thicker biceps, defined pecs). Then I stopped.

I jiggle a little when I giggle. Tongue

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2007, 08:08:06 AM »
Eight count body builders, "burpees", flutter kicks, jumping jacks and mountain climbers would be a good start.

Eight Count Bodybuilders
1. Start in a standing position.
2. Touch your toes.
3. Bend your knees and place your hands on the ground.
4. Pop your legs back putting you into a push up position.
5. Touch your nose to the ground.
6. Push back up.
7. Pop your knees back in towards chest
8. Stand back up.
This should be a continuous motion and be fluid.

Burpees

Mountain Climbers

There are plenty more that one could do. Those are just to start.

USMILNET