Author Topic: New DE polling data  (Read 1602 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
New DE polling data
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »
This'll make some heads asplode...

New Delaware senate polling data from Rasmussen was released yesterday, and it has some really interesting implications.  In a two-way race between O'Donnell and Coons, O'Donnell loses by 14% (54% to 40%).  But if you add in Castle for a three-way race, O'donnell comes within 9% (49% for Coons, 40% for O'Donnell, and 5% for Castle).  Rasmussen speculates that if Castle actually starts campaigning as an independent, that the Coons/O'Donnell numbers would tighten up even further.  Without that tightening, O'Donnell is unlikely to win.

It'll be interesting to see just what Castle does, now that he's in a position to play spoiler for either O'Donnell or Coons.  If he's only likely to get 5% or 10% or 15% in an independent run, then it's against his interests to continue campaigning.  You can bet that the Coons people are already in contact with Castle to remind him of this, trying to persuade him to decisively and loudly end his involvement in the race.

A 15% showing for Castle may be bad for Castle, but it'd be fantastic for O'Donnell.  Will the O'Donnell folks be smart enough (and humble enough) to try to unburn their bridges with the Castle camp and convince him to keep campaigning?  The answer to that question will go a long way towards determining if O'Donnell has any viability in politics.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:12:54 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: New DE polling data
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
Yes, that is downright freaky.

One more thing that might influence Castel: he can pay him self a salary from campaign contributions and play with with unspent contributions (to some extent) after he loses.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
if stuff like this keeps cropping up
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20017998-503544.html
it won't help

i know all politicians fib  but shes trying to cast herself as different and her demographic wants different
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »
if stuff like this keeps cropping up
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20017998-503544.html
it won't help

i know all politicians fib  but shes trying to cast herself as different and her demographic wants different
Oooooo!  Oooo!!  SCANDAL!! [popcorn]  HEY!  I wanted BUTTERED popcorn!  

I never understood why this Delaware thing is such a big thing.  If the repubs had a chance to take the Senate, it might be.  But they don't.  
But O'Donnell still has the support of both Darrins, so I guess she'll be OK. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »
what would make a seemingly bright person throw a lie out there in the age of the internet?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »
what would make a seemingly bright person throw a lie out there in the age of the internet?
Force of habit.  >:D

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
touche! :facepalm:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:46:35 PM »

I don't know, but it happens.  When Clinton was president elect, he promised that they'd "hit the office running," meaning that every cabinet member would be ready, they'd just assume office, and go.  After a few of his selections wound up with  ... "nanny problems" someone pointed out to him what he'd promised, and he said that he ought not be held responsible for something one of his aides said.  ???  Uh, HEY Slicko, it was YOU who'd SAID IT!!!!   It was totally unnecessary; he had a lot of good-will, just assumed office, and could easily have said "Yeah, man, I know.  Wow, I didn't ever forsee I would have these problems."  I really think it would have worked.  But ... he lied.  I guess, being the narcissist... it's part of his nature.

Why is Samantha  er, Ms. O'Donnell lying?  Why would she say she'd attended some particular college.  These things are easy to check, and while our vaunted lame-stream media might avoid the footwork for one of their liberal flunkies, they're gonna go both barrels at someone like her.  She shoulda known.
There is clearly something fishy going on in Delaware.  
She's either doesn't have the good sense that God gave a pump handle.... or she's just mentally lazy ... or something.  ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
ts not just one item either  i wonder if they never thought that it would get this far and just winged it in the beginning

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »

Because it seems to have worked for everybody else?

It is indeed interesting that all of Castle's support comes from Democrats.  =)

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »

It is indeed interesting that all of Castle's support comes from Democrats.  =)

Not from Democrats necessarily, but from voters who would choose a Democrat over a right winger.  This includes many of the moderates and independents in DE.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »
A couple hours ago I heard the amoral Dick Morris say the DE race was down to a 9-point gap in a two-way race.

Now, I wouldn't take ethical or moral advice from DM*, but he has good political instincts.  Or, maybe he is trying to shape the race by cherry picking polls.  Nah, that wouldn't be ethical...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
A couple hours ago I heard the amoral Dick Morris say the DE race was down to a 9-point gap in a two-way race.

Now, I wouldn't take ethical or moral advice from DM*, but he has good political instincts.  Or, maybe he is trying to shape the race by cherry picking polls.  Nah, that wouldn't be ethical...
Isn't this the same Dick Morris who said, 'way back when, that Hillary was NOT going to run for US Senate as a New Yorker?

I've heard his analysis about the upcoming election, and I LIKE it . . . I really do. BUT - and this is important - you can't believe and accept someone's prediction just because it happens to forecast a result that you favor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 05:07:07 PM »
Well, so much for that possibility.  Castle has officially decided against a write-in campaign, taking away O'Donnell's best chance for a victory against Coons in Nov.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/mike-castle-wont-run-as-a-writ.html?wprss=thefix