Author Topic: Reid and Pelosi's no-tax-cut-now gamble  (Read 6894 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Reid and Pelosi's no-tax-cut-now gamble
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
There is a frighteningly large number of people who don't understand this. =(

Quote from: Albert Einstein
The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 06:33:04 PM »
There is a frighteningly large number of people who don't understand this. =(

No person on the planet understands the complete tax code, nor is it possible to do so.  Very few, if any, understand all areas of income tax.

I had an afternoon job at an accounting/tax service.  If you want to truly comprehend the tax code, get paid to move a paper copy.  It made quite an impression on me as a kid.  Wish every kid experienced it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »

I think if you're going to complain about a tax hike, you should at least know exactly how it's going to affect you.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »
I think if you're going to complain about a tax hike, you should at least know exactly how it's going to affect you.

No, sorry, I don't have to know exactly how it's going to affect me.

Mainly because I can't know exactly how it's going to affect me. Oh yes, I can figure out what the effect of the increased marginal rate will be on my income. Unfortunately, that's only a first order effect.

Of course, to most politicians, that's enough. "We just raised taxes, we're going to get $700 billion more in taxes now!"

Funny how every time they claims this, the amount never appears. You'd think they'd learn that when you raise taxes on something, you get less of it.

(I swear, there's something about that in economics... like a law or something for demand or something. You know like: The law of demand states that when the price of a good rises, the amount demanded falls, and when the price falls, the amount demanded rises.)

I know, I know, it's silly to think that when people get less income for the same work that they'll choose less work and more free time.

I know, I know, that's only a capitalist myth, historical effects of increased tax rates notwithstanding.

But, since I prefer to use history as a guide, I know the increased tax rates will translate not only into more money I have to pay (because the middle class tax hike is still one for Jan 1), I also know that the increased tax rates will continue to slow the economy. Which likely means I will suffer secondary effects as the tax hikes on the rich and middle class "trickle down" into decreased spending, saving, and, therefore, economic activity.

When people have less money, they spend less and save less. I know, I know, shocking.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 11:55:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CzteDucRHo   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
Is there a source that describes what an average percentage of a persons livelihood goes towards all the miscellaneous taxes imposed upon us?

I would be very surprised if the average "middle class" family pays less than 30-40% of their gross income toward the combined tax burden of all government bodies.

my understanding was it approaches 50%  the magic number
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »
And for many of the "rich" it's 60%+ and heading to nearly 70%.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »

I think if you're going to quote somebody, you should at least have something in the quote box......

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.