Author Topic: 10:10 video will blow your mind  (Read 7968 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
10:10 video will blow your mind
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Mw5_EBk0g

The 10:10 Campaign, an advocacy effort on climate change that receives support from the UK government
and is in partnership with the Guardian, released the video above yesterday. 
They have since apologized for their monumental error in judgment.

http://rogerpielkejr.blogspot.com/2010/10/worst-climate-pr-stunt-ever.html

t's pretty edgy, given 10:10's aim of asking people, businesses and organisations to take positive action against global warming by cutting their greenhouse gas emissions by 10% in a year, and thereby pressuring governments to act.

"Doing nothing about climate change is still a fairly common affliction, even in this day and age. What to do with those people, who are together threatening everybody's existence on this planet? Clearly we don't really think they should be blown up, that's just a joke for the mini-movie, but maybe a little amputating would be a good place to start?" jokes 10:10 founder and Age of Stupid film maker Franny Armstrong.

But why take such a risk of upsetting or alienating people, I ask her: "Because we have got about four years to stabilise global emissions and we are not anywhere near doing that. All our lives are at threat and if that's not worth jumping up and down about, I don't know what is."

"We 'killed' five people to make No Pressure – a mere blip compared to the 300,000 real people who now die each year from climate change," she adds.

Jamie Glover, the child-actor who plays the part of Philip and gets blown up, has similarly few qualms: "I was very happy to get blown up to save the world." The public reaction to the film will be fascinating . . .

http://www.1010global.org/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: 10:10 video will blow your mind
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
Holy cow!  What a terrible video.  Do they honestly think that video is persuasive?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »
Quote from: Wackadoo Lady
a mere blip compared to the 300,000 real people who now die each year from climate change

Huh?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 04:46:16 PM »
Do what we say or we will exterminate you

did they study from the Tao of Delek?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »
Because we have got about four years to stabilise global emissions and we are not anywhere near doing that.

So what happens after four years?  Kevin Costner shows up in his trimaran to battle the Smokers?

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
So what happens after four years?  Kevin Costner shows up in his trimaran to battle the Smokers?

They have been making predictions like this for years.  None of it has happened.  All they do is keep saying it in different ways. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 05:07:28 PM »
Jamie Glover, the child-actor who plays the part of Philip and gets blown up, has similarly few qualms: "I was very happy to get blown up to save the world."
It is sad how they lie to kids about this stuff. 

When I was a kid it was all about clear cutting the rain forest.  I remember global warming also mentioned even then (the 1980's). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
I'd love to see a mainstream documentary done on the number of people killed by the environmental groups. There's been millions killed in Africa alone from starvation and disease because the pesticides we can afford in the west are not affordable there. DDT, etc.

What happened to, "if it saves just one life it's worth it"? I guess now it's, "if it saves just one weed it's worth it".

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
Saw that on Glenn Back and link via another website.

Poorly considered ....Poorly thought out.

"No pressure" ... yeah, "no pressure" my Dixie Derriere!!!!! >:D

Some of these environazis have gone .... extreme.  Dangerous extreme.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:57:27 PM »
A very disturbingly high percentage of the population would see most folks dead if they saw no personal consequences for it.

I remember in college hearing an prof go on about how GREAT it would be if 40% of the world's population just 'disappeared.'
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Holy cow!  What a terrible video.  Do they honestly think that video is persuasive?

it's very persuasive, just not the way they wanted. >:D

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
How is this not considered hate speech?

I propose a new campaign of letter-writing to our illustrious(indeed, inimitable...) representatives.  "Start paying attention to the voters.  No pressure."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 12:21:21 AM »
Because we have got about four years to stabilise global emissions and we are not anywhere near doing that.

1. How is it they moved from 'cutting' emissions to 'stabilizing' them?

2. So will they STFU after four years?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
A very disturbingly high percentage of the population would see most folks dead if they saw no personal consequences for it.

I remember in college hearing an prof go on about how GREAT it would be if 40% of the world's population just 'disappeared.'

Because they don't see that as advocating the murder of more than two-and-three-quarters *BILLION* currently-living human beings.  "Disappeared" is a so-much-more SANITARY word, without all those nasty, messy connotations... [barf]  As long as "someone else" makes it all happen, they don't have to get their own hands dirty, or put forth any effort or suffer any hardship in connection with their convictions and beliefs.

Not to mention that 2.75 billion dead bodies would create a pretty major health issue for the remaining 60%, even IF all those deaths didn't cause a worldwide collapse of what we think of as civilization.  Not a whole lot of thought for consequences in that sort of mindset, IMO - which is ironic, given that that's precisely what they're accusing their opponents of suffering from...

taurusowner

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
How is this not considered hate speech?

Because it supports a "progressive" cause. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:04 AM »
Because hating a group of people is bad (unless they're a politically acceptable group of people), hating ALL of humanity is okay.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 06:29:09 PM »
You've got to ask yourself- how fast do you think a video about conservatives whacking environutjobs would hit the major news outlets? How quickly would the producers be arrested for terroristic threats? How long would their trial last before they were put behind bars forever? You all know it would be fast enough to make your head spin...

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:03:20 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
Yeah, they're enviro-weenies.

But the over-the-top gore effects are funny, to me.

They're not going to win me over to their argument with them, but it's like watching Army of Darkness.  Gross-cute.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
1. How is it they moved from 'cutting' emissions to 'stabilizing' them?

Baby steps.

Certainly not.  Four years' control will produce no appreciable effect, leading to the natural conclusion that things are not regulated ENOUGH... you know where it will go from there.

You've got to ask yourself- how fast do you think a video about conservatives whacking environutjobs would hit the major news outlets?

You know what you've done.  Now we have to make that video.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »
You know what you've done.  Now we have to make that video.

Just do an satirical overdub on the 10:10 vid.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »
They're not going to win me over to their argument with them, but it's like watching Army of Darkness.  Gross-cute.

It is somewhat amusing, but you know there are some enviro-weenies who wish they could really do that.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 10:53:47 PM »

It depends on who holds the office of President of the United States. As I recall, this "four year" nonsense started just prior to our last presidential election.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »
It is sad how they lie to kids about this stuff. 

When I was a kid it was all about clear cutting the rain forest.  I remember global warming also mentioned even then (the 1980's). 

Does anyone remember acid rain? As a kid in the 70's, I was told acid rain was going to destroy the Earth. There was a PBS special every freakin' month on how Europe would be a wasteland by the 21st century. Cold weather and clouds full of acid rain were going to destroy us all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 11:29:17 PM »
Does anyone remember acid rain? As a kid in the 70's, I was told acid rain was going to destroy the Earth. There was a PBS special every freakin' month on how Europe would be a wasteland by the 21st century. Cold weather and clouds full of acid rain were going to destroy us all.

I was given the Acid Rain indoctrination in the '90s, along with Global Warming and such, too. Teachers grab the kids early and give the kids opinions long before children even understand what they are all about.

I had teachers getting me to make environmentalist and gun control posters as early as the second grade. And god forbid you ask about a contrary fact or POV in class, the teacher will humiliate the child and reinforce the "correct" way to think.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »
Does anyone remember acid rain?

Hah!  =D  I remember that from the eighties!  :facepalm:  Good times.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife